PDA

View Full Version : Stingray jumps aboard

Smellier
19-10-2006, 12:53 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/leaping-stingray-stabs-man-in-chest/2006/10/19/1160851040879.html

How big are your gunnels? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Black_Jack
19-10-2006, 01:07 PM
WOW

Something you wouldnt expect

geoff

Big_unit
19-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Watch out !!!

Things happen in 3's you know. :o :o :o

Smellier
19-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Hope you all have BIG hearts! ;D

BrandonH
19-10-2006, 01:29 PM
seen those eagle rays jump in the bay b4 ;) they are very quick for a ray!!! Would love to hook onto one :) also once hit a brown ray on the surface that ended up jumping about 2 foot up and away from the boat ;D

Cheers
Brandon...

Big_unit
19-10-2006, 01:36 PM
Hope you all have BIG hearts! ;D

Thats going a bit tooo far

Smellier
19-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Sting rays are fun if nothing else is biting..

Caught one (15kg) on a handline - interesting ;D :D

epoc
19-10-2006, 02:40 PM
I was sitting in a tinny in Marcona (?) Inlet up in the Whitsundays once when I saw a ray circling a small bay at great speed towards me. It then proceeded to jump clean out of the water and straight at me!! I quickly dropped my head only to have it sail clean over me and the tinny :o :o

I ABSOLUTLEY sh$%t myself seeing that square mouth coming at me and couldn't get back to our cruiser quick enough... ;D ;D

Everyone on the boat laughed their guts out at my story and I occasionally still get crap from me mates over it. ::) ::)

Chow
E

Dirtysanchez
19-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Wow, thats amazing ! :o :o :o :o :o :o

Homer_Jay
19-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Unbelievable. Next thing we will be having to wear safety gear just to go out in the boat..... hard hat, flak jacket, steel caps.......

Smellier
19-10-2006, 03:06 PM
epoc - tHAT'S a great idea for a film shot!! 8-) 8-)

Even I got scared reading it!! What an image

Looks like this is not that rare after all.

Fckn amazing!! ;D ;D :o :o

epoc
19-10-2006, 03:38 PM
The thing was, it was a perferctly still afternoon. Not a breath of wind, no boats with 200m and a really gloomy overcast day. Quite erie in itself. Then this bloody happens :-X :-X

The thing wasn't huge. Probably round the 50 - 60cm size, but I still get the shivers when I think about it. Probably one of the scariest real life experiences of my now 41 years on this earth... :o :o

Smelly
19-10-2006, 06:40 PM
You think that's scary - I have a cyst right on the base of my tailbone - been there on and off for 7 years now.. >:(

My wife nearly faints when she sees and smells the puss oozing out of this work of art..

What's worst - I have to sit on an angle during fester season because of the sheer pain!! :'(

Give me the Eagle Ray any day! 8-)

epoc
19-10-2006, 06:59 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHH, Smelly, you just set me a new benchmark in scary!!!! :o :o

;D ;D

Homer_Jay
19-10-2006, 09:26 PM
Smelly ...... that is just wrong. Somethings are best kept to yourself.. ;D ;D Although atleast i now know where your name comes from!

BilgeBoy
19-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Hey Smelly you should change ya name to "Festering Barnacle" ;D ;D ;D

In my younger days I did a lot of catamaraning in the bay. One day we nose dived our 16 footer through some heavy stuff in the bay and when we cam back up....we had a passenger. Bloody big Brown ray flapping like crazy on the trampoline. Talk about shock!!! :o :o

It worked its way off and back into the water while me and me mate tried to climb anything we could find...Stays, Sail....who cares...any place was better than with that Ray. Arrggghhh the good old days!

Megsy

Smelly
20-10-2006, 01:58 AM
You guessed it Homer!

I have numerous outlets of smell - pussy cyst, dogbreath (morning and day) and reeking BO..

I don't know why my breath smells - have tried all those mouthwashes, etc..

Bilgeboy - CRIKEY! that is fkgn amazing too! :o :o and i luv that name "festering barnacle"

You know, we should continue this thread a little longer to obtain other pointing eagle ray stories - it seems many people have many different fascinating experiences with these blighters - like Steve Irwin getting the point :'(

I hereby call on any others who have had run-in with eagle rays..

Smelly ;D ;D

gonegonefishin
15-11-2006, 10:06 PM
I have accidentally jagged an eagle ray before, and it went like buggery. I don't see them around too often. But to be stabbed by a flying ray lol..... that's just plain old bad luck.

finga64
16-11-2006, 06:24 AM
Better go and see someone about that smelly.
Not good when I'm eating my coco-puffs and milk :P

I've seen/heard a few rays jumping when we fish at night at the bream hole in the Evans river. It scared the crappers out of the cook the first time but after that it was an amasing site seeing a ray jump against the background of the town lights.
It's incredible how high they can get

bidkev
16-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Smelly, you ought to get that looked at mate. I had one that used to pop at the most embarrassing moment and it stunk like hell. Thought it was just a cyst or something as it didn't reallt hurt. Turned out to be what is called a "fistula" which means "abnormal connection" Mine was caused by a hair that had turned in on itself (sounds impossible) and had grown back in instead of out. It had grown right through to the bowel creating a small "tunnel" through which the smell of the bowel got out.......and some of it's contents :o ::) :-[ :-[ The tunnel itself then becomes infected and leeks puss. Had to have it cut out and was laid up for months.

Be careful mate.

kev

Deiter
16-11-2006, 03:29 PM
HURL SPEW BARF...........I AM NEVER COMING BACK TO THIS THREAD.
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Smelly, Kev,, absolutely, positively not required.

Mods!!!....... Where are you????
the public need to be protected from things like this. ;)

abitfishy
16-11-2006, 11:52 PM
Oh man, this is just getting interesting. ;D ;D Kingtin that was a fantastic description mate.

I love finding things on my body that ooze puss. Feels fantastic while its coming out.

You should have seen the stuff coming out of my dogs teat when it got mastitis after giving birth - and the huge hole it left afterwards.

Anyone else? :D