PDA

View Full Version : caribbean or bertrum chain anchor

newchum
11-11-2006, 06:57 PM
i have a 23ft crusader with a chain anchor winch. it only has about 5 metres of chain and 75 metres of nylon/poly rope i would like to put 40-50 metres of chain on it as the rope is pain. does anyone have a similar setup. ? how will the extra wieght go in the hold with a bouncing sea.any suggestions ?

Homer_Jay
12-11-2006, 05:59 AM
Alot of weight in that. Would have to see how the boat would handle that weight right up front. I think you would be best to contact the manufacturer of the winch to see how much wight it can pull. I know that some of them cant lift that much weight.

onlyme
12-11-2006, 11:43 AM
you will have to check with your winch manufacturer to see what size they recomend for your gypsy to hold for rope but the most commen length is 10mt chain and the rest rope , the rope that is used is a 8 plait nylon it has a good elastisticy and is very strong breaking strain and can also be spliced easy to chain.I hope this helps in your anchoring regards onlyme

TonyOW31
12-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Dont know how your boat would handle it, but I have a Caribbean 26 with 80 mtrs of chain and this gives no problems, give gameboats a ring, they are usually quite helpfull with caribbean stuff.

Brissyguy
13-11-2006, 08:14 AM
Hey Newchum,

Welcome to the Crusader family lol...
I believe these boats were fitted standard with a chain winch and 30 metres of chain.
Our boat has one and the extra weight doesn't bother her at all.
We also have a large plough anchor that hangs over the bow when we are in the bay.

For offshore work we have 10m of 8mm chain to a reef pick with 12mm tynes, then 200metres of Poly rope all stored in a large plastic container that sits under the dinette when not in use.

Our boat has had the sterndrive replaced with a pod and outboard and you couldnt imagine the extra room it allows for fishing etc.

Where are you based ?

Cheers,
Rich.

newchum
13-11-2006, 06:02 PM
thank for the replies everybody this has given me some food for thought and some homework as well .
hey brissyguy any further info on your would be great

cheers rodney

newchum
16-11-2006, 08:50 PM
tonyOW31 hey mate what size and type of chain do you have and i looked at the web for gameboat but had no luck, can you give me some info on them please. i live in rockhampton

cheers rodney

mitch_05
17-11-2006, 06:18 AM
Get a new anchor winch by the name of buske ;D ;D ;D

TonyOW31
17-11-2006, 07:05 AM
tonyOW31 hey mate what size and type of chain do you have and i looked at the web for gameboat but had no luck, can you give me some info on them please. i live in rockhampton

cheers rodney

Dunno what size the chain is, It what was fitted on the boat when new.
www.gameboats.com.au

newchum
17-11-2006, 11:26 AM
Get a new anchor winch by the name of buske #;D ;D ;D
if i can't sought the problem out , the winch will be a heymitch
cheers rodney

Brissyguy
17-11-2006, 12:55 PM
Hey Rodney,

Going down to the boat again tomorrow, this time with batteries in the camera, and will get you some pics...

Cheers,
Rich.

newchum
17-11-2006, 07:08 PM
Hey Rodney,

Going down to the boat again tomorrow, this time with batteries in the camera, and will get you some pics...

Cheers,
Rich.
thanks rich i have not had much luck up here getting someone to build without something to go by or plans so any help would be great

cheers rodney