ahoj
19-11-2006, 12:38 PM
How old is this Evinrude 40 hp can someone identify this outboard? Ahoj

Roughasguts
19-11-2006, 01:34 PM
E tec. For sure not old.

FNQCairns
19-11-2006, 02:46 PM
50s probably - these are like bums in the US -everywhere, todays engines will be just a pile of steel components in 50 odd years. There are some homelite 4 strokes (designed like todays ones) around in the same age bracket I think.
Does it still go?

cheers fnq

ahoj
19-11-2006, 03:55 PM
Starts badly when cold once warmed up is ok must be using a blow torch to heat it up like deutz tractors :D :D

yes it runs and its on the market with many enquiries on e-bay Managed to pick it up since i am interested in outboard from 35-55 hp with a starter 25hp with a starter will do...

anyway thanks Ahoj

marshy
19-11-2006, 05:08 PM
Gidday Ahoj. The model number on the serial number plate gives the year as part of the code. It will begin with 40 for the hp obviously & the next number is the year. eg; 404-- will be 1964, 406-- will be 1966. I'm betting your is 1967 by the cowling [each year was different decals] so it should be 407--? . Let me know if I am right or wrong. I have got half a museums worth of these old OMCs gathering dust in my shed, I don't know why I buy them cause I dont use them but old machines just seem to get me excited. I ran all 7 of them one after the other in a drum a couple of weeks ago beacause it was blowing a gale. Maybe it make me happy cause I still smell 2 stroke fumes even when I'm not fishing?. I better stop rambling on now.
By the way how much do you want for it?

Marshy :) :)