PDA

View Full Version : Impact this Forum has on buying power

RAGINGBULL
16-11-2006, 08:17 PM
I have a theory...

In the past outboards were always bought with a few criteria in mind
IE
1) Traditional xxxxxxxx was always good value.
2) So and so says his yyyyyyy outboard never gave him a days dramas.
3) The sales man bags all other outboards, then tells you all his good points about fuel consumption, " (but you never really know because they all tell you there own little rehearsed sales story)"
4) People are duped oops sold into buying a certain type of outboard.

My Example
I would never have Bought a Suzuki in the past

********** BUT ***********

After all the good reports on the fishing forums about the suzuki 4strokes, i am sure to go that way when the time arises
" Halleluya brother " all fello boatmen say AMEN

Back to my theory
1) How much influence does a fishing forum such as this place on a persons purchasing decision.
2) We are hearing from genuine boat owners with genuine stories of fuel consumtion, performance etc etc etc
3) Price and good service is openly spoken about.
4) Bad service, exploitation and ripoff's are viewed with contempt and read by all.....!!!!
5) We as a fishing/boating fraternity are far more em-powered 6) The people that do not know too much can get good advice without it costing them a fortune.

I have never been caught out badly as i always look past the salesman.

My Question
WHAT VALUE CAN WE PLACE ON THIS FORUMS RESOURCES ...??

I have absolutely no commercial interest here and i would love to hear a few opinions, as it is very relevant.

Cheers Mark

DaMaGe
16-11-2006, 08:33 PM
I have also learnt alot by reading many stories both good and bad from these forums, I salute Ausfish.

Wonder how much money Ausfish will pay me for that!

On a serious note, there are a few wise posters to these forums and without them, these boards wouldn't be as popular or educational as they have been for myself over the last few years.

wessel
16-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Why re-invent the wheel every time. There are others who has been there, has been done in by it and in return stole the t-shirt. ::) or something along similar lines.

Will I ever buy a Suzuki, or will I even look at one as a possible replacement if I were to replace my current donks because of what has been said about them by others on this site? The answer will be no, the comments or opinions of others on this one subject has not made a commercial difference in my opinion or final buying decision.

When it comes to fuel filters though, the comments of others have helped in my decision to replace my old filters with what was recommended by others.

Am I saving up because of the pictures that Col from Fisher boats have placed on this forum - YOU BET YA!!!
Will i ever kiss a fish - NOT ON YOUR LIP!! Just ask Tunaman ;) But that was not what you asked was it :-X

So, in some instances this forum definately made a commercial difference in some of my decisions.

Wessel

blaze
17-11-2006, 04:32 AM
when making a large dollar investment I think you should source your info from as many places as you can and then make a judgement on the info you have gained. Forum are just one of the many places you can source that info. So, take only what you need from here and from where ever else then ask the wife
cheers
blaze

whichway
17-11-2006, 06:02 AM
HI

Ausfish + Iboats + Hulltruth - Theres a lot of info about outboards, electronicis across these three sites, + maybe a couple of other Australian Sites. Much better than the magazine reviews that generally will not criticize boats and motors.

Problem with buying boats / motors, particularly used, or repowering, is that you can't really take them for a road test under all conditions. Compare to buying a car, where you can drive it on the freeway, up a hill, around a few corners, and you have a good idea of what it will and won't do.

These sites give you a wealth of information, don't believe it all, but you must be in a better position than you would be if you just had to rely on the sales blurb.

Whichway

PADDLES
17-11-2006, 07:47 AM
This forum is an awesome pool of information, but like any forum there's also enough mis-information to throw you as well.

All the guys and gals on here are like a little fishing and boating community, it's unreal, there's conflict and in some instances plain old ignorance, but an awful lot of friendly and cheerful help.

At the end of the day people still have to make decisions using information from all sources (like blaze has said) this might be some basic physics and mechanics from your school days (getting harder to remember), it might be from a tiny bit of info soaked up from a rude salesman bagging out someone elses product (usually tune out to these guys), it might be from a bloke you're talking to at the ramp. Add this info to the info found on here and then add a kilogram of common sense and you're armed with everything ya need to make an excellent choice. ;)

Captain_Starli
17-11-2006, 07:59 AM
it's like everything, each person has their own personal favourite & will push that barrow regardless. Example..Mercury motors, black anchors, whatever some will bag mercilessly, probably never owned one, but a friend of a friends uncle had heaps of problems, others can't fault them, inc me.
people love or hate cats. lots of horror stories lots more great stories..
unless i know the people involved personally & i was there or i trust them 100% i take it as heresay.

over the years on this board have you all read threads where people have come in with opinions, that are just so much crap that it is laughable, they will argue the point & you laugh as you KNOW what they are saying is crap & people are out there & believing it??

I use information as a guide only & will contact people that have the hands on experience not the 'my mate has one......' poster.

davo
17-11-2006, 09:14 AM
Let the good dealer's and their product prosper and the bad one's fall by the way side.

Kerry
17-11-2006, 09:33 AM
One has to take a lot of forum comments with caution as in some cases all might not be as it appears.

There is a smattering of fact, a lot of opinions, some is absolute crap and other is well disguised propaganda and nothing more than sales talk.

Many will disagree but then these same people might not want to believe it but there would appear to be an increasing interest by professional writers and with their own agenda in mind. These sites are quite powerfull selling tools in the hands of manipulative posters as $$'s talk and BS walks.

Regards, Kerry.

ShaneC
17-11-2006, 09:50 AM
here we go... 8 ounce gloves or 12er's

Fisher_Boats
17-11-2006, 11:42 AM
I post my boats on here because it is a Boating Chat forum and I like to show people what we do :D Don't forget that all my opposition get a good look as well.
I also advertise on the site because I can and without advertising there would be no site.
As far as me doing this to manipulate people into buying my boats that's bs.
If someone sees a boat that I put on here and end up buying one that's my good luck ;)
If you notice, I don't only post things in boat chat either I like to try and join in and help were I can ,but being an advertiser this isn't always easy.
At the end of the day my life is boats and fishing like a lot of other people. ;)

Cheers Col

Stumpthumpa
17-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Col,
I guess I can only speak for myself here, but I find your posts very informative, no hard sell and of genuine interest. Please keep them up - the drool factor is great.

Kerry does raise a valid point however, and so there is still a need for people to conduct their own research, not just blindly accept.

Brissyguy
17-11-2006, 01:06 PM
I doubt anyone would blindly accept info from a single person as the only reason for choosing a product no matter what the industry.

The posts by some of the advertisers on here showcasing their products is backed up solidly by boat owners that have bought the product and share their experiences with us all.
Isnt that what being part of a community such as this is all about ???

I for one, and I doubt others, would rush out and buy a boat because an advertiser on here posted a pic of it.

However reading posts from owners of that make of boat by regular fishos like myself over an extended period is damn good info.

Keep up the posts advertisers, most of us love what you post.

Cheers,
Rich.

JasonT
17-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Col,
If making people aware of a good quality product is manipulation,
then you have my permission to manipulate me all you like!

Personally, I have made decisions based in part on what i have learned from this site, and will continue to do so!

I agree with Kerry insofar as $$ talk and BS walks.....
But only if you're gullible, and/or haven't done your research!
In which case..... you got what you asked for :-)

Have made purchasing mistakes in the past so now I research everything to the Nth degree! It took me 18 months to decide what 4x4 I would buy next. Once decided it took me a week to find one and pay for it!

Do the research - you won't regret it!

JT

PinHead
17-11-2006, 01:21 PM
I was a member on here before I bought my boat and I bought what suited us...nothing on here made any difference. I think that when the time to purchase comes then each individual makes up his own mind. If you bought a boat to please somehwere on here then you are definitely buying thw wrong boat. Boats are like cars..everyone wants something different to someone else...each has a different budget and requirements for their purchase.

JEWIENEWIE
17-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Not to long ago i purchased my second boat. It took me over twelve months to decide what i wanted and needed. To tell you the truth i Knew what i wanted but didnt know what i needed. So after numerous posts, many vivits to boat yards, much bull shit from salesman, and more great info from other ausfishers i made my decision and bought a brand new rig which i could not be happier with. Withut the help from all you guys on ausfish, weather an advertiser or a fisho, i am sure i would have bought something completly inappropriate for my needs. I guess what i am trying to say is there is nothing more valuable than information or experiences to help you when making a decision, and this site gives it to me, as said before sure, some of it is bull shit but hey, like the bargain bin at your local tackle shop, take from it what you want and leave the rest to someone else.
col-s keep showing me those boats mate. It is obvious you are passionate and good at what you do, so why the hell not show your product, and if someone from this site buys a rig from you they will be sure they will get the product and service that they desire.
Jewie

Kerry
17-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Col_S, It might be worth clarifying what I see as manipulative posters as you appear to have picked up on this comment.

I direct that more to the posters who are not up front, hide behind some dodgy handle while making comments that start to ring bells.

This is not the general style of a site advertiser as you don't hide behind some thinly veiled excuse, everything is up front.

Regards, Kerry.

RAGINGBULL
17-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys

I do not spend time looking for the advertisers, Only because i am not in the Market for anything at the moment ( Col i will keep you in mind when i am looking)

But i have read a lot of good reports over a long period over XXX product THEREFORE it must be good........true.

If you dont research your buy before you committ you are mostly at fault "unlike a lot of CH 7 today tonight stories that always portray the the poor IDIOT as the one thats been hard done by"

And you are right Brissy guy most claims NOT backed by the forum over a period of time are B/S

The posts by some of the advertisers on here showcasing their products is backed up solidly by boat owners that have bought the product and share their experiences with us all.
Isnt that what being part of a community such as this is all about ???

Most of the answers are genuine and make sense thanks gents.
It was only for my own curiosity and everyones elses benefit.

Cheers MARK

Black_Rat
17-11-2006, 05:41 PM
These chat boards offer us an insight into other members experiences and the advice they are prepared to give based on those experiences. Advice is only valuable if you take it onboard #;) Ignore it and you may end up shooting yourself in the foot. Therefore you can't really put a price on it :-/

I'd take onboard any advice offerd and word of mouth any day of the week over a sales pitch #;)

Damo.

BilgeBoy
17-11-2006, 05:55 PM
Value??? I think it adds a lot of value to the shopping process.

Like many people... I love to do my homework before I spend my dollars...they are too hard to come by. In the modern world a brand can be good one day and crap the next...no matter what it is. I am sure boat & engine builders suffer this just like every other manufacturer. So sites like this can sure add to the peace of mind when it comes time to part.

The biggest feature of Ausfish is the try before you buy...I know many people have hooked up with the owner of a boat etc and gone for a trip out with them.

It has sure helped me!!!

Megsy

troy
17-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Before you buy any boat you have to test in the 2 fth chop.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)
Troy

Sportfish_5
17-11-2006, 09:58 PM
8-) ::) :-X

Captain_Starli
18-11-2006, 08:45 AM
if i had believed all i read about my boat on here i would not have bought it, at the time it was not available in qld & all info that was available was 2nd hand reports that bagged them due to an accident (operator error not a boat problem) & a boat test that was just wierd, talked to manufacturer he was dumfounded, tester obviously did not understand what characteristics boat had.

i bought the boat 5 years ago & would not get rid of it, except to get a bigger one the same ( which i don't need) so all is not what it seems. hands on & actual owner info. there is someone on here, can't remember name, but in his mind suzuki is theonly motor we should have, i am old enough to remember them last time around, weren't considered the best then,
Chrysler were bagged unbelievably, talk to anyone that only ran one in fresh water..

it's personal, & the best is the one you own or you would not have it....& you won't admit it's rubbish until you get rid of it & get something different, then it becomes the biggest pce of crap you have ever owned..

so i consider most info as just information to be sifted through, doesn't influence mme much at all.

bidkev
18-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Doesn't matter how good a product is or how much it is talked up on this site if the Minister for Finance is pulling the purse strings ;D

I did tons of research into boats before buying the current rig and read avidly everything that was written on this site. I had my eyes on a bar crusher mainly because I could get it into the garage. Then I thought that didn't matter so much and was really keen on Cols rigs. That meant nothing when the deckie came home and said that it was the Sea Legend or nothing. :o ::)

She wanted something that she would feel comfortable in and no doubt Col could've obliged, but her mind was made up although she didn't like the thought of spending the kid's inheritance and neither did I.

Anyways, I posted here about the money dilemna and not one poster thought we should hang on to the money. It was what we really wanted to hear as up till then we'd never even spent more than ten grand on a vehicle let alone 80 on a boat.

So yes, this site did sway us, but not in the way we expected.

kev

Kopey
18-11-2006, 10:54 AM
Col_S, It might be worth clarifying what I see as manipulative posters as you appear to have picked up on this comment.

I direct that more to the posters who are not up front, hide behind some dodgy handle while making comments that start to ring bells.

This is not the general style of a site advertiser as you don't hide behind some thinly veiled excuse, everything is up front. #

Regards, Kerry.
# #

So Kerry at who rather do you direct your comment to??? :-?

I've worked as a marine mechanic since I was 16, worked in a dealership that had OMC/Honda/ Mercury, & had Mercruiser aswell, and gained lots of experience in the field aswell as regular attendance to service seminars.

I later moved on to rent out a workshop that is part of the Martin Marine complex and decided to work for myself not just for the extra money, but for the freedom aswell. We are located 5/8 Boatharbour Dve, Pialba, Hervey Bay in QLD and all are welcome to visit. I service vessels such as the local VMR, Adventure Charters, DPI, Marine Parks, Nomad Sportfishing, etc. Always been open about what I do, don't hide behind any veil as you say and once more don't make a cracker from posting and talking about something that I'm interested in and enjoy talking about.

If somebody can tell me something wrong I'm doing in the boating section of this Ausfish site then please tell me, and once more Kerry give us some examples of what you would consider to apply to your comment:

There is a smattering of fact, a lot of opinions, some is absolute crap and other is well disguised propaganda and nothing more than sales talk.

Especially the absolute crap you say some people talk about, that really interests me. Show us what you call absolute crap.

Big_unit
18-11-2006, 11:18 AM
I really dont see why or how any internet site with its members can have any bearing on any purchase unless the members are not anonymous and are quite open about who they are and what they do.

The vast majority of people with strong opinions and convictions about any marine related product are for the best part willing to let other members know who and where they are.

To me that is worth its salt, the member not only gives the opinion but backs it with REAL life experience. I for one dont like internet heroes and am more than willing and able to let them know in person, this is how I feel. I cant stand people who hide behind thier keyboard for any reason.

Cheers
James

disorderly
18-11-2006, 11:24 AM
Hey Kopey,
# # # # # # # # #I thought you did all the suzuki work including fitting new motors for martin marine?
# # # # # # # # #If this is so then you as a self proclaimed expert endorsing a product could easily be seen as an attempt to push a barrow for your own financial gain.
# # # # # # #ie. # #Kopey endorses Suzuki-potential local buyer sees positive feedback and is swayed to buy suzuki-more work for Kopey=more money in Kopeys pocket.
# # # # # # # # # Is this to long of a bow to draw?

disorderly
18-11-2006, 11:26 AM
Kopey dont get me wrong,I see nothing wrong with this.We are all out to make a living,but lets just call a spade a spade.

Big_unit
18-11-2006, 01:36 PM
Hey Kopey,
I thought you did all the suzuki work including fitting new motors for martin marine?
If this is so then you as a self proclaimed expert endorsing a product could easily be seen as an attempt to push a barrow for your own financial gain.
ie. Kopey endorses Suzuki-potential local buyer sees positive feedback and is swayed to buy suzuki-more work for Kopey=more money in Kopeys pocket.
Is this to long of a bow to draw?

That would true if he did not openly say what he does and how he got his experience, but he has and any potential buyer can see how and why Kopey made those endorsements.
Also knowing a lot more about Adam than you do, I can also say he isnt self proclaimed but is factory trained and has relevant field experience with motors and boats that he has written about. He is a very good mate of mine and I will back him anyday.

Cheers
James

nonibbles
18-11-2006, 03:11 PM
I know nothing and everything I've written is BS. So am I telling the truth? ;)

Kerry
18-11-2006, 03:56 PM
So Kerry at who rather do you direct your comment to??? :-?

There is a smattering of fact, a lot of opinions, some is absolute crap and other is well disguised propaganda and nothing more than sales talk. #

Especially the absolute crap you say some people talk about, that really interests me. Show us what you call absolute crap.

Geez that's a bit self opinionated :D You thought I was referring to you ::) In ya dreams :-*

When I'm referring to you you will know I am referring to you but until then just keep on keeping on and don't raise yourself to that level, just yet.

Anyway you must still have a few more names to drop ;D

Regards, Kerry.

skippa
18-11-2006, 07:09 PM
Before you buy any boat you have to test in the 2 fth chop.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)
Troy

was waiting for that one .. #;D ;D ;D ;D

But where to test it ... NQ or Brissy ... #:-? ::) ;D ;D

Spaniard_King
18-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Comon you guys with all the barrows I have been pushin you should be all buyin Hondas.

You mean to say its been all for nuthin.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Aint work grand :'(..gawd too many scotches

Garry

RAGINGBULL
19-11-2006, 06:49 PM
GEEEZ GUYS

Did i open pandora's Box...

It was only a question, however i have now learn't a lot about what some of the colourfull characters here, think about each other.

I have also learnt that there is a significant amount of Marketing and opposition Bashing here......... yes !!

Healthy Competition and rivally is very important in Business

Cheers Mark

PinHead
19-11-2006, 07:44 PM
GEEEZ GUYS

Did i open pandora's Box...

It was only a question, however i have now learn't a lot about what some of the colourfull characters here, think about each other.

I have also learnt that there is a significant amount of Marketing and opposition Bashing here......... #yes !!

Healthy Competition and rivally is very important in Business

Cheers Mark

no such thing as only a question here mate...you ask and they will deliver..by the truckload.

FNQCairns
19-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Pinhead did you forget "steaming"? :D only joshin,

I think it's all good, heaps to learn always, differing opinoins keep the grey matter from getting stale (my life is full of yes-men :P), if there was nothing new to learn or ponder (that includes suspected sales pitch at times )from daily visits dont think I would bother.

cheers fnq

Kopey
20-11-2006, 06:31 AM
One has to take a lot of forum comments with caution as in some cases all might not be as it appears.

Many will disagree but then these same people might not want to believe it but there would appear to be an increasing interest by professional writers and with their own agenda in mind. These sites are quite powerfull selling tools in the hands of manipulative posters as $$'s talk and BS walks. #

Regards, Kerry.

So what was this all about Kerry???

Kerry
20-11-2006, 07:55 AM

Many will disagree but then these same people might not want to believe it but there would appear to be an increasing interest by professional writers and with their own agenda in mind. These sites are quite powerfull selling tools in the hands of manipulative posters as $$'s talk and BS walks. #

Regards, Kerry.

So what was this all about Kerry???

That's all about actual experience from several sites over quite a few years ;) If you haven't seen it yet then your not looking :o

Fisher_Boats
20-11-2006, 08:40 AM

This is not the general style of a site advertiser as you don't hide behind some thinly veiled excuse, everything is up front. #

Regards, Kerry.
# #

Kerry,
Thanks for the reply, I now know what you meant, maybe I was a bit defensive ;D ;D

Cheers Col