PDA

View Full Version : Diesel smoke stains in fibreglass

Fiji_fish_head
16-11-2006, 08:29 AM
Can anyone help me out here, i have just converted my fibreglass boat from petrols to diesels and unfortuneately after a day out trolling the transom has a black glaze over the fibreglass from all the diesel smoke/soot, can anyone recommend what can be used to removed the stain???

thanks,any help appreciated

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Chimo
16-11-2006, 08:36 AM
Hi FFH

Have you tried just using your normal fibreglass polish.? ::)

I get a bit of soot on my transom when doing similar things and that seems to clean it off and as the polish builds up it seems easier to get off next time too :D

Cheers

Chimo

Blackened
16-11-2006, 08:47 AM
G'day
Ok... there is both prevention and cure.

Wash the transom, If the stains are fresh.... get some meguiars one step cleaner and wax. This is not a cutting compound but relies on detergents to clean with the wax. Use the foam application pads and do the whole transom.

If the stains are more stubborn... get a machiene buffer, the meguiars heavy duty oxidation remover and go to town on it. This will lift the stain well, follow with the one step cleaner and wax.

Always keep the layers of wax up on the fibreglass as it's a PROTECTIVE LAYER.

Gelcoat is porus and will absorb any contaminants, but properly polished.waxed.... will block the porosity and will make it alot easier to clean.

Dave

Fiji_fish_head
16-11-2006, 09:02 AM
Guys thanks so much for the help will get on to it right away!

:)

GBC
16-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Try a coat of nyalic over the stern once it's clean. Soot will never stick again.

C.J.

Roughasguts
16-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Nyalic ???

Interesting what's that, and where do you get it, Can't say I have heard of it before.

Would it be good to use on the scum line of me boat.
Where my local ramp is inside a Tiny lagoon, there is plenty of scum and oil sitting around the water line.

Tired of scrubbing that off.

Chimo
16-11-2006, 02:42 PM
Hey GBC

Whats Nyalic and where do you get it please?

Thanks

Chimo

Roughasguts
16-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Chimo, Do a google on Nyalic some info there.

Question still don't know where to get it, and does the stuff go yellow after a few weeks, like every thing else you put on white.

Chimo
16-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Hey R A G

Done

link http://www.infolink.com.au/Companies/Nyalic-Australia

waiting for info on pack sizes, price and availability

Cheers

Chimo

GBC
17-11-2006, 11:56 AM
It's a nylon based clear coat.

Have a look at stabi's and mclays - the clear coat they do over the ally is nyalic.
Damon olsen did a write up about the stern of his cat a while back and raved about it for keeping the soot off.

Don't see why it wouldn't work on the waterline, although i'd be checking the specs first.

The stuff is very expensive, but does not require much volume for coverage.

I've used it instead of anodising in marine construction applications with ally where reworking is required in the field.

C.J.

StevenM
17-11-2006, 12:46 PM
What engines you running FFH?

Fiji_fish_head
20-11-2006, 01:39 PM
i have ot two new Yanmar 4 cylinder turbo diesels that are brand new!!!, they replaced the old merc v8 petrols that cost a fortune to run, so far so good but i kept the old exhaust flaps on the back, am now looking to put a small cowl on them to divert smoke/soot into the water! smoke/soot stains arent too bad as yet but i am sure it will get worse as the diesel quality here in the islands is not all that great!

cheers!

:) :) :) :)

Ron173
20-11-2006, 02:06 PM
I'd be looking at why they are smoking. Generally dirty injectors is the cause, or incorrectly set up fuel pump, then look at removing marks, otherwise they will return.

Ron