PDA

View Full Version : bad time retrieving boat

Menion
19-11-2006, 04:53 PM
I had a great day on the water today, going up the hawkesbury river, but i had to come home early to do household stuff.
The boat ramp was packed, boats waiting to launch and retrieve. I waited my turn, went to get the car, someone stole the guide poles off the trailer, so i cant see where the trailer is when reversing. Im not that good at the best of times, only done it half a dozen times. The trailer was all over the place, couldnt keep it straight no mater how i tried, so i had to keep getting out to straighten it. Finally got the trailer in the water and started winching the boat on the trailer, the winch cable snapped. I pulled it on the trailer by hand, then chained it in place. Thats not all, when securing the boat for the travel home, one of the ratchet tie downs broke. On the way home, the ties holding the oars in place snapped and they jumped out of the boat. What is going on??? who have i wronged to have all this happen in one day. :(

Camo
19-11-2006, 05:29 PM
Mention, you haven't changed the name of the boat since you bought it have you? :o

Camo

Menion
19-11-2006, 05:57 PM
no, it doesnt have a name yet?? But i think i know what i want to call it now ;)

Poodroo
19-11-2006, 06:13 PM
I think the name "Hellraiser" could be an apt name for your boat mate. Hope that was going to be a once only bad day for ya. ;)

Poodroo

silver19
19-11-2006, 06:25 PM
Murphy`s Law seems to be an apt name for the boat. with any luck you have got all your crap out of the way in one go. onward and upwards :)

cheers and happy boating John

dogsbody
19-11-2006, 06:54 PM
IT comes in 3's. Now that you have got that out the way happy days are here again.

Dave.

Shanoss
19-11-2006, 07:40 PM
Menion, i'm hearing you mate. The last thing you want to be thinking about on the water is the trip home. I spent three and a half hours waiting for a tilt truck a couple of weeks ago to get my boat home. Bloody b*b Ja*e Tmart pinched the new tube in my trailer tyre when fitting the bead and cost me $160 to get the thing home. Completely forgot about the great day i had witht the Mrs.
Thankfully these days are few and far between. you'll soon remember the good stuff more than the crap that goes along with owning a boat.

Cheers
Shane

charleville
19-11-2006, 09:07 PM
Mate, go and buy a lottery ticket. You are due for a change in luck. :)

stevedemon
19-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Hi menion
mate don't feel bad was out for an overnighter on thursday at the pin had a great time on the water although 2 out of my 3 batteries died now have to replace them costs of $250 for 2 15 plates and replaced a roller that was stolen from the trailer when i returned to the ramp another $20.00 gone but that is boating still had a good time as it was the first trip in 5 months the fishing jitters have gone for the time being but as stated it comes in 3's so hope fully good fishing times ahead for all

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

Jeremy
20-11-2006, 06:33 AM
sounds like you might have got behind in your maintenaince to me. I'd be doing the trailer wheel bearings next.

Jeremy

JasonT
20-11-2006, 01:59 PM
LOL..

What Jeremy said!

Having had some similar things happen earlier in the year I now keep a logbook for the maintenance I do to the boat / trailer / 4wd / bike.
This allows me to attack my maintenace proactively rather than reactively, which ultimately means less catastrophic failures and therefore less dollars spent in repair bills. It also means I enjoy my fishing more as I'm not worried about anything breaking - I know the motor will get me home!

You know what they say......
"A stitch in time saves nine!"

JT

Menion
20-11-2006, 03:07 PM
Yip, i blame no one but myself!!! I didnt check the trailer or equipment at all, i just thought it was all good ;)
It has taught me a good lesson though. This is my first boat, i havent had it that long, so it still learning all this sort of stuff. I wonder what ill learn next. But thanx to all the people in this forum i am learning alot of great tips, especially stuff like ramp etticate and safety. Im just glad i got home safely and learnt a few more lessons.

Chimo
20-11-2006, 07:06 PM
If your going to do your own maintenance what about the old white board trick. One more reason to have a shed; to keep the white board in ;D

truck, boat trailer etc down the left side, all the things to do; wheel bearings oil change, filters, plugs across the top and the date done / next due in the space across from the truck etc and under the appropriate things to do.

Do not however attempt to change the oil on the trailer unless you have relaced the grease for oil on the wgheel bearings ;D certainly don't do the filter or air cleaner ;)

Chimo

Kendall249
20-11-2006, 08:42 PM
Murphy`s Law seems to be an apt name for the boat. with any luck you have got all your crap out of the way in one go. onward and upwards :)

# #cheers and happy boating # #John #

I agree, murphy's law