PDA

View Full Version : Running in new outboard

Toby
20-11-2006, 08:55 AM
Hi all. I just bought a brand spanking new 2 stroke yamaha 50hp outboard. I have never owned a new outboard before so I'm a tad excited. I have no idea how or if you need to run new outboards in?. I have planned a trip to airlie beach fishing for 2 weeks at xmas and i wont have much of a chance to test run the boat beyond 2-3 hours due to work. Is there anything in particular I should do for its 1st few hours of running?

kind regards
Toby.

Noelm
20-11-2006, 09:28 AM
like most new motors, if you plan to keep it for a long time, a good 'mixed speed" run in with extra oil (if it does not auto mix extra on its own) and no high speed prolonged operation will give you a good start to your new posession giving years of service.

lutjanus
20-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Have bought in excess of 20 new outboards over the years and always run in as said -cant hurt!!!-having said that dealers run flat chat on water tests prior to boat deliveries.

FNQCairns
20-11-2006, 01:57 PM
having said that dealers run flat chat on water tests prior to boat deliveries.

which shit's me no end!!!!

dnej
20-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Toby,
Did you get a manual,cause it is all in there.let me know if you dont have one.
David

Rod_Bender
20-11-2006, 08:10 PM
a lot of medium speeds. Keep clear of low and top end speeds was my advice when i got my new yammy in 2000. I think you have to complete this for 10 hours. I had to mix the fuel 50:1 along with the exisiting oil injection.

honda900
20-11-2006, 09:07 PM
Toby,

Mate,
I have just run in a yam 130, read the manual, first 10 minutes was idling, 1-2 hours under 3000 rpm, 2-5 hours run up to redline and vary speed, 5-10 hours run up to redline for no more than 5 minutes with a 10 minute cooldown, constantly vary the revs. double oil the whole time ( 25:1 in the fuel tank )

I owned a couple of boats and a lot of bikes over the years and have come to the conclusion that when a motor is new and you WOT it, the rings flattten and debur the cylinders, seems to help the engine in the long term, just remember short bursts, make sure it stays cool, run it right through the rev range.

Regards
Honda