PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Retriever "Split Ring Type" Question

Chimo
15-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Following an earlier thread about the subject of anchors a few Ausfishers have been trying to find where to obtain the "Split Ring" anchor retriever ring that can be added to or taken off the warp anywhere along its length. #See picture below.

After a lot of hunting and not finding a source that sells these a search was made for a manufacturer who would build these rings out of suitable stainless steel.

The search has been succcessful and there now is a need to find out what level of interest there may be in purchasing these so an order can be given to the manufacturer

It is anticpated that they would cost approx $20 to $25 ea depending on the number to be made.

These rings will lift and float an anchor and chain so that the warp, chain and anchor can then be pulled aboard the boat either at the bow or over the side. #The system is especially usefull for solo boating or to save the deckie from having to lift and haul the warp, chain and anchor off the bottom and then pull it into the boat.

The "split ring" type allows the retriever to be installed anywhere along the warp rather than having to put it on before using the anchor and then having to feed all the chain and warp through the ring. #Abnother type, a spring loaded clip based retriever can also be added to the warp any where but they do not allow chain to pass the clip and they also have a habit of unwinding warp. #Plus if they are fitted wrongly they lock rather than slide along warp.

If you already have a retriever float and ring the "split ring" would just clip on to that. #If you are starting from scratch you can use a 20 lt acid bottle or a bouy float and make up your own. #The split ring is what really makes it work.

So given all the above,
How many of you would purchase one or more of these "spring clip" retriever rings if they were available?

If yes, please indicate the number that you want.

Depending on the response, manufacture of an appropriate number can then happen. ;)

If you have questions please ask, on the thread or PM

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers

Chimo

Volcano
15-09-2006, 01:48 PM
I'd definitely be interested.

davez104
15-09-2006, 02:07 PM
What are the real advantages to this type of ring? I use a solid ring and find it no hassle at all, as soon as the chain is through, the buoy is thrown over and the rope just slides through on its own. Are there advantages that I don't know about?

Thanks.
Dave.

Chimo
15-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Hi Dave

There are a number of things (advantages) that I have found for split ring in the years that I have used it.

1 If I anchor in close I don't have to take the anchor off to get the ring off if I'm not going to use the retriever
2 When I use the float (and ring) on the sea anchor its there ready to go and I don't have to take the anchor off to get the float free to use it
3 Rings don't affect the wrap of the warp (fixed or split) like the spring clip type
4 They are cheap, particularly if you splice a loop onto your own float rather than spend $60 or so on the off the shelf closed ring set up or $27 on the spring clip type. I have one of those if your interested?

There are probably others but thats all that spring to mind just now.

Chimo

trout3030
15-09-2006, 04:55 PM
Chimo,
Does that type of ring come open under extreme load such as when the anchor is stuck good? I have been trying to find the old Anka Yanka ring which could also be taken off without removing the anchor. Looks like they have gone broke and not made anymore. Would be interested if they don't come open under load.

Stuart.

davez104
15-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Thanks Chimo,
Don't think I have any need for one as I don't think I'll ever have to actually take my float off. I made mine up myself, bought the 4" stainless ring, 300mm foam float and D shackles and spliced it all together at home, wouldn't have cost me $30. BUT, I can see that this split ring would have huge advantages for anyone wanting to use thier float for different purposes.

Thanks anyway.
Dave.

Chimo
15-09-2006, 05:56 PM
Hi Stuart

I've had my original one that I bought probably 15 yrs ago and it has never come open even with jammed anchors that I've had to have a couple of goes at from different angles to get free.

Mine is still fine but now that others are interested I'm going to get a spare one for myself too.

Dave

No worries, as long as it does what you want it too.

Chimo

seatime
15-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Yes please Chimo, add me to the list. I think it's a great idea, you could have the split ring and another type of ring on seperate lanyards, and use whichever takes your fancy depending on conditions.

regards
Steve

Heath
15-09-2006, 10:30 PM
I'd be worrying about it opening up. My ring on my anchor buoy is out of shape as it is.

The ring just stays on my anchor. I just use a stainless spring clip to put the buoy on or off.

s-pac
15-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Chimo,

I'd be interested in a couple

Regards Andrew

Pedro
17-09-2006, 12:12 PM
Why not use a solid ring and splice a suitable snap clip onto the rope connected to the float. No chance of it letting go under strain.
Regards
Pedro

capt
17-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Hi Chimo , Yeah I think it's a great idea. I will definitley grab a few for me and my mates . This will be the answer as the spring clip I'm using won't go right to the anchor on retrieval . REG...........JIMMY

Chimo
20-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Ring Follow up

Any more people interested in the rings. Trying to get a clear indication of interest and specific numbers before looking at trying to get them made.

If you said your interested one assumes thats

Volcano 1, Stuie 1, Gelsec 1, S-pac 2, Capt 2, me 1
total at this stage 8 any more takers?

As previously mentioned they are 6mm ss and they don't come open under load.

Cheers

Chimo

schrammy79
20-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Im interested in 2

trout3030
21-09-2006, 10:19 AM
Chimo,
What diameter is the ring? Make sure they are big enough to allow the chain and shackle to come through easily.

Chimo
21-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Stuie

Ring diam is approx 120mm / 125mm. Chain and shackle goes right thru. Used my old one solo on the GC 24s early this week and it floated the anchor with all the chain suspended below. Lovely!

Any more starters?
Please let us know if your interested so something can start happening.

Cheers

Chimo

Chimo
03-11-2006, 02:57 PM
Hi All

Some time ago some of you said you were interested in these rings (see photos 3 of)

Capt has had some made and if you are interested in getting one or more you should PM Capt.

Cheers

Chimo

Chimo
03-11-2006, 02:57 PM
Another shot of ring

Chimo
03-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Third and last photo

Jimo
03-11-2006, 09:58 PM
Just a thought, has anyone tried using a large D shackle instead of a ring?

s-pac
03-11-2006, 11:12 PM
Hi Chimo,
I was interested in a couple. Who do I contact?
Regards Andrew

Chimo
04-11-2006, 07:23 AM
S-pac / Andrew

Capt has had some made and if you are interested in getting one or more you should PM Capt.

Cheers

Chimo

capt
06-11-2006, 08:47 AM
Hi all, yesterday out on the 36's I gave the new split ring on on my anchor retriever float(that's mine, the red and blue one in the picture) a go. It shot straight to the head of the anchor and stayed there ;) It's the way to go, especially if you wish to remove the float quickly for stowage . Anyone interested in obtaining any, PM me and I'll point you in the right direction. :) Oh and what a corker of a day it was out there yesterday..... mega glass.... and some big hook ups ;D CHEERS JIMMY

seatime
06-11-2006, 04:42 PM
capt

pm sent, but forgot payment method, how would you like it, postal order OK, I don't have a cheque book anymore.

with the rope eye on the ring, would a thimble/hard eye be an advantage or not necessary? providing there's enough space for the chain to slide thru of course.

regards
Steve

Chimo
07-11-2006, 07:36 AM
Hi Capt

So now that you have used the split ring retriever do you believe me?? ::) ;D ;D

Does sliced bread ring any bells???? :D :D ;) ;)

Cheers

Chimo

capt
07-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Hi Capt

So now that you have used the split ring retriever do you believe me?? ::) ;D ;D

Does sliced bread ring any bells???? :D :D ;) ;)

Cheers

Chimo

Hey Chimo mate ,I never doubted it would work . :D ....... the speed and ease of retrieval is the one that has impressed me ! Thanks for sharing your ideas with us Peter..... 8-) Reg Jimmy

seatime
14-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Got my split ring anchor retriever on Monday, thanks capt.

It's well made and as strong as the solid retrieval ring I compared it to in a chandlery.

It'll get a workout very soon, and reports to follow.

regards

capt
15-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Got my split ring anchor retriever on Monday, thanks capt.

It's well made and as strong as the solid retrieval ring I compared it to in a chandlery.

It'll get a workout very soon, and reports to follow.

regards

Hi GELSEC....I'm pleased to hear your happy with the design, ;) The feed back has been great....... got a couple left ... anyone interested can PM me Regards Jimmy

FNQCairns
20-11-2006, 02:48 PM
Checked the PO today- thanks, it's a great boating gadget, will be a little while before I use it though - can see it will do the job well.

cheers fnq

Fat_Chilli
20-11-2006, 05:42 PM
Chimo - Thanks for the advice, re: the PM on reef anchors and the split ring.

Capt - Thanks for the split ring.

I purchased a 300mm float, 2 metres of 12mm silver line and the split ring. This was my first ever attempt at splicing and it worked out alot cheaper than buying a pre-made rig with a anchor yanka, and only a few dollars more than buying a rig with a standard stainless ring on it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/ausjeep/AnchorBouy.jpg

Thanks.

Chimo
20-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Hi FC

Thanks

Looks really good

Chimo

capt
21-11-2006, 05:25 PM
Hey Fat Chilli , great effort on the spliciing mate ...... how did you go on Sunday ?
REG JIMMY

Fat_Chilli
21-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Capt - went well boating wise, although it was screwed up from the start as I slept in :-[.
Weather was good but the fish just weren't on, with the exception of those bloody grinners ::). Maybe I was looking in the wrong place, but no one else that I spoke to back at the ramp had much to show either.

FC.

FNQCairns
14-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Are these still available? Can I get a couple more of these please??

cheers fnq

NickCurrey
14-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Hi Chimo,

I will take 2 please

Nick

capt
14-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Hi Chimo,

not suprised to see this thread reappear as we know they work........

Scott,

if you want some more I have a couple left ...............

Nick ,

Pm me if you are keen.

the rings are on there own if you can't store a big float in your anchor well !!!!!!!!
Jimmy

Chimo
14-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Hi Jimmy

When your on a good thing stick to it

Cheers

larfin
14-01-2008, 11:34 PM
I could use a couple capt
pm sent
cheers
greg

rumy1
14-01-2008, 11:39 PM
I am very curious about these floats ??? How do they work ? I assume when anchored up you drive in the direction of the anchor rope but slightly off alittle so it doesn't wrap around your prop. When you drive pass the anchor this forces the float down to the anchor and makes the whole anchor pop to the surface ? Is this right and does it work all the time ? Is it easy to get the anchor rope caught around the prop ?
Pulling the anchor in is a real pain in the butt sometimes so if this is as good as it sounds, I will be getting one.

FNQCairns
15-01-2008, 06:48 AM
Hi Chimo,

not suprised to see this thread reappear as we know they work........

Scott,

if you want some more I have a couple left ...............

Nick ,

Pm me if you are keen.

the rings are on there own if you can't store a big float in your anchor well !!!!!!!!
Jimmy

Good stuff! PM on it's way, thanks

Rumy yes, it is as good as it sounds and helps to keep the deckies content which is a bonus:)

cheers fnq

Mark Lynch
15-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Split ring are the easy way to go,

i agree with Chimo

capt
16-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi there boys,
yes Nick , Greg , Scott , and Chimo , Did you receive my P M s ?

Rumy,
Yes mate you have to be careful not to cut your anchor rope . When motoring forward , slowly to start , and on an angle so you are not in line with the rope, keeping an eye on the rope at all times , then increase speed, and up she pops. This ring will go to the head of the pick, and therefore the chain won't slide back down. You then just pull the anchor floating on the surface back to the boat............deckies love it !
Hope this is a help
Jimmy

larfin
16-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Capt I did not get your pm
cheers
greg

Chimo
16-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Hi Capt

No PM at my end either

Cheers
Chimo

FNQCairns
16-01-2008, 01:34 PM
None through yet.

larfin
17-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Capt did you get my pm
If your pms are not working maybe you could put up a phone number
cheers
greg

FNQCairns
17-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Capt will PM my email.

cheers fnq

larfin
17-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Capt got your first pm please send the payment details.
If you could send a phone number too that would be great cheers
greg

larfin
20-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Capt I have only got your first pm and have not got the payment details yet.
cheers
greg

larfin
03-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Capt got the rings-they are spot on
cheers
greg

STUIE63
04-02-2008, 08:19 AM
This is what I use
http://www.bla.com.au/index.php?fn=productGroupView&dId=1&id=3368&eId=10&sId=00ef81bab664db2d460c3e432bd3149b
so easy to take the ball off the anchor rope is what you guys ar using much different?
Stuie

capt
05-02-2008, 05:59 AM
Hi Stui,

this is the set up .........similar to yours but half the price !

cheers Jimmy