PDA

View Full Version : Hour Meter

griz066
21-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Looking to fit an hr meter to the Johnson, how do I go about it or is it a bit tricky and needs to be done by someone in the know? :)

Roughasguts
21-11-2006, 04:56 PM
Have you got a Tacho, I would be inclined to hook it up with the power supply for that.

This way when you leave the ignition on over night you won't rack up hours, with out the engine running.

blaze
21-11-2006, 06:28 PM
I would have thought the power supply to the tacho would be the same as any other power source to do with the motor, power supplied when ignition is in the one postion. So if the key was left on, wouldnt it still clock hours. Be good if you could hook it to the pulse wire though so it only generated hours when the tacho was going, dont believe that could or should be done.
More questions than answers but basicly you only need an earth wire and a power wire to make the hour meter function, the best place to source the power from maybe an open end question.
cheers
blaze

Roughasguts
21-11-2006, 07:07 PM
All the aircraft I have flown have tacho, hour meters.
That means they only work when the engine is running. And another good thing is they clock over hour for hour at cruise settings.
So when idling or low power settings there only turning over a percentage of the cruise time.

Helps when your paying for that time, as opossed to master switch time which is 30% more. But thats the time you bill out.

wheelerdog
21-11-2006, 08:13 PM
just get a briggs and stratton hour meter, fits on any engine, sensor wraps around spark plug lead, costs about 50 bucks and anyone can fit.

Roughasguts
21-11-2006, 08:33 PM
just get a briggs and stratton hour meter, fits on any engine, sensor wraps around spark plug lead, costs about 50 bucks and anyone can fit.

Thats true, and that be the only desent part of any briggs and straton motor.

But I think griz has already got his hour meter and want's to know how to wire that one up.