PDA

View Full Version : Sensa-brake systems.  Any problems

CROOZY
21-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Hi all,
Has anyone had any problems with Sensa-brakes on their boat trailers, in particular internal air leaking from actuator (preasure loss)

cheers Phil

TOPAZ
21-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Hi Phil,
The only problem I have had - not really a problem, just insufficient knowledge of the system - was the trailer brakes locking full-on suddenly whilst descending the Black Spur near Healesville, with a loaded log truckbehind me!
Turns out that if you use the brakes too much (as in many applications), the compressor can overheat, and it goes into a fail-safe mode which involves a sudden brake lockup.
Managed to complete the descent safely, and let the unit cool for 10 minutes.
It has not misbehaved since. I now know to use the transmission in a lower gear to keep the speed down when descending a long steep grade, and minimise the number of brake applications. You can keep your foot on the brake continuously, but many on/off applications is what upsets the Sens-a-brake compressor.
I have also noticed that if you set the hand controller (mouse) too high you can cause the trailer brakes to drag - i.e. to not release completely. Fixed by backing off the controller slightly.
Overall, I am very impressed by the system.

CROOZY
21-11-2006, 07:24 PM
HI RICHARD,
THANKS FOR THAT, THEY DONT TELL YOU THAT IN THE MANUAL.
CHAT BOARDS ARE A GOD SEND.
CHEERS PHIL (OUTSIDER 685)

Chimo
21-11-2006, 07:33 PM
The web site advice is to not leave your foot on the brakes while at lights train tracks etc but use the hand brake for the reason mentioned above, overheat etc etc.

When I was looking to get my elec over hydraulic system I was told that up to half the early sensa units had to go back with "issues" hopefully better now.

Also I was told to never get the unit wet but I guess thats common sense.

So I bought another brand

Cheers

Chimo

David_P
21-11-2006, 07:37 PM
G'day Phil,

I've got a sensa brake system that is just about two years old under a 6m extended Fisher, that weighs in at a good 2.7T when loaded. So far so good. No problems at all, and it pulls me up in flash. I wouldn't hesitate in getting another if I ever upgrade the Fisher.

Regards,
Dave.

bidkev
22-11-2006, 08:42 AM
Yeah Phil, I'm pulling 2.5 ton and the brakes pull her up great. The only problem I had was on one trip home, they were binding. I put this down to sinking the trailer (which I have to do) and then parking her up for 5 days whilst we went boating/camping..........I forgot to bleed her. I'm guessing that if I'd've bled the system and not left her "primed" for 5 days in full sun when she'd just been dunked, this wouldn't have happened but I can't be sure.

kev

TOPAZ
22-11-2006, 09:34 AM
Kingtin,
I think you meant to say bleed off the AIR PRESSURE in the Sens-a-brake unit!
If you had to 'bleed' the brakes in the normal sense (hydraulic fluid), that would be a serious nuisance at any time!

For those unfamiliar with the Sens-a-brake, there is a device to release the air pressure in the system when you leave the trailer parked for any time.

bidkev
22-11-2006, 11:18 AM
Kingtin,
I think you meant to say bleed off the AIR PRESSURE in the Sens-a-brake unit!
If you had to 'bleed' the brakes in the normal sense (hydraulic fluid), that would be a serious nuisance at any time!

For those unfamiliar with the Sens-a-brake, there is a device to release the air pressure in the system when you leave the trailer parked for any time.

Yeah, that's what I meant...thanks for pointing that out..........I knew what I meant ::) ::) ;D

kev