PDA

View Full Version : Buying used?

TheSaint
20-11-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm looking to buy tinny about 3.8m ~ 4.2m with tiller steer or console if one pops up! I'm just concerned what i should look for while looking at the trailer, boat & motor?

How much does it cost roughly to get when inspected by marine mechanic?
What needs to be done to get it transfered into my name after I purchase it?
How do you check it has clear title?

Any help would be great..

Cheers..

fishingrod
20-11-2006, 08:18 PM
The rules re transfer and checks of title vary from state to state.
Where are you from ?

A inspection is a good move, especially if your not not real sure what to look out for. Prices would be from $150 - $250 and that would normally include travel time and general going over the whole package, with a bit more attention usually paid to the motor.
If your paying any more than that something is wrong unless a lot of traveling is needed.

You might be able to get a local marine mechanic to go over the motor (only) cheaper than that if you took it them.

TheSaint
20-11-2006, 10:36 PM
I'm on the gold coast but i will be travelling to brisbane to look at boats as well..

fishingrod
21-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Im in Sydney so cant offer any advice re rego or title questions. Each state can vary slightly.

Re what to look for.
Do a search on here, It would have been covered many times. There should be some good posts on it.

Happy hunting :)

Rod

TheSaint
21-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Re what to look for.
Do a search on here, It would have been covered many times. There should be some good posts on it.

Sorry, no matches were found..

That doesn't help me so if anyone has anything to add don't be scared to hit reply & help me out..

Cheers

fishingrod
21-11-2006, 10:17 PM
It takes a bit to work out the search function and how to get the most out of it. At least you tried :)

Try this

click search

search for : buying second hand
match as phrase

by member: any poster
board to search in : boating chat
tick in subject and message
post made in the last : year
display how many : 50
one result per thread

then repeat it with what to look for as the phrase at the top.
with the same settings

or any other words or phrases you can think off that might suit.

checking a second hand boat

inspecting second hand

boat inspections

try a few

See how you go. I did a couple of searches using the bold phrases just then with the above technique and found some info that will definatley help you.

To cover everything to look at it can be fairly extensive. We would need 100 people to each add one comment to cover half of it !!!!!

cheers and good luck

Rod

timddo
22-11-2006, 01:31 PM
mate, just ask a few ausfish members to tag along before you make your purchases. I took the whole family and they went all over the boat. Motor wise, i usually look at the gear box oil.
That usually determines how offen it's been service or if there is an wear and tear. If there small bits of metal inside.. it's a no no. the gears are stuff.

( thats if you can't get a mechanic to have a look).

Reef_fisher
22-11-2006, 03:23 PM
In QLD depart motor transport, do the revs check for title/encombrance etc. Don't forget to do trailer and boat and motor. From memory about 20-25$ per search. The rest as above.