PDA

View Full Version : What's your excuse?

Scalem
21-11-2006, 09:20 PM
I find it curious that two of my uncles bought boats within a month of each other, but after about 2 years, the owner of the cruisecraft 685 outsider has clocked about 350 hours, and the other uncle has clocked little more than the engines 1st Service. His rig is a seajay with 50hp Yammy 4S. Even more surprising is that the owner of the seajay is retired, able bodied and financially OK.

Without being judgemental, I sometimes wonder why people even bother to purchase a boat, when they hardly ever get used. I would be happier to pay for a charter every once in a while, if that is how infrequent my fishing trips are.

There's so many reasons why people don't get to use their boats, but I wonder which are ligitimate reasons, and those reasons attributed to apathy or lack of enthusiasm to prepare for a day on the water. How many are willing to admit the real reasons their batteries go flat and the fuel has gone stale?

Me? I can't sit still and watch the cricket, I'd rather be out in the sunshine :) But that's just me. I've often joked with fellow fishers there should be a law against infrequent use of a boat. There's too many people who can't afford one!! It's criminal not to use the boat at least once a month if you can make the time. :-/ :-/

Scalem

blaze
21-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Hi Scalem
Good question, I sometimes think about selling my boat because of lack of use generally caused by weather, lack of deckies, having to work sometimes and the list goes on. I dont see the sense in taking a 6 m boat out for an hour, if and when I go it needs to be all day or overnight. I would still under those conditions do 100hrs a year at least.
So to solve the problem of not using the 6m boat often enough I brought a 12 foot tinnie so I could go by myself in solitude, relax etc and it to dosnt get enough use.
But btween the 2 boats I would get at least 8 to 10 hours a week on average.
Your right though, a lot of people must buy boats to keep up with the jones
cheers
blaze

choppa
21-11-2006, 10:53 PM
i think both of you now hate me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,

i actually own a pontoon boat,,,

bought it for 1 reason and 1 reason only,,mrs choppa spent 3 months on deciding which house to buy for an investment,, i was getting tired on each sunday being tied up with running from 1 to the other,, so i decided,,

house versus boat

now the choice was simple,, my first grandson was born,,,,,,chopjr

need something safe,, family outings,, and i get to fish,,

20 feet of platform length way,, by 10 feet wide,, fully enclosed, (safe for chopjr),, bought it

had it built,, and i loved it,,

then,,, through sickness,,, have never enjoyed it,, still sitting in drive way,, blocking off my garage,, to big for me to launch by myself,,, and no bas$$rd wants it

the only boat on bribie that i know off that can hold 120 crab pots,,,,,,and still give you room to walk around,,, ;D ;D ;D ;D

MORAL,, just because they own it,, doesn't mean they can enjoy it

wanna buy it????????????,, cheap :D

PinHead
21-11-2006, 10:57 PM
I don't have a great deal of hours on my boat....but we don't travel all that far...drop the pick and sit back and relax...and that was the reason I bought the boat I did...to sit back and relax and I love every minute of it...not having many running hours on the boat does not necessarily mean it does not get used.

disorderly
21-11-2006, 11:34 PM
Hey choppa,
# # # # # # # # # How about a photo of the beast!Sounds...ummm....interesting!

Roughasguts
21-11-2006, 11:58 PM
Interesting, I think theres nothing worse than wanting a boat I was without one for 4 years, and it's a bad feeling.

And theres nothing like having a boat ready to use sitting in the garage just in case you want to use it.

And if you don't well at least you don't want for one.

Unfortunately Finding the time, the weather, and other family comitments means the boat trips come last though.
But never be without one again.

marlinqld
22-11-2006, 05:14 AM
I'm with yuo scalem. I am busting to drop mine in the water any excuse. ;D In fact, i dont really need an excuse. My wife says the boat is my secret lover LOL ;)

Much rather be on the water in the sunshine, even if I dont catch anything, still alot of fun just being out boating.

Mike

choppa
22-11-2006, 05:32 AM
boat pic

Scalem
22-11-2006, 06:15 AM
Choppa,

Let's have a AF meet and greet with your boat as the centre peice parked in the middle of the broadwater somewhere. ::) I am sure a few guys will pitch in to help get her launched. ;) ;) Having a physical limitation because of ill health is "Ligitimate" and we will let you off the hook this time ;)

Scalem

PADDLES
22-11-2006, 07:04 AM
choppa that's the best rig for the passage other than the spinnaker barbie boats. how much water does it draw? you'd be able to slide over the banks up in the skids and even pitch a tent on it for an overnighter. spot on! :)

JasonT
22-11-2006, 07:15 AM
I manage to get out somewhere around 3-4 times a week on average.

The main reason I postpone a trip is because of wind. If it's from the north, I'm better off maintaining the boat or putting something new into it!

I have to admit though, after fishing for around 24-30 hours over the weekend, I had no thoughts of launching on monday night :-)

Going tonight though! And tomorrow night. :-)

JT

choppa
22-11-2006, 07:27 AM
scalem/paddles,,,,

thats they way i wanted it whe we had it built,,,, most bbq/pontoons are fitted out with lounge area,,,seats,, etc etc,,,

i just wanted a basic platform with ample room,,, theres enough space for an easy 10 on board,, and the underfloor storage will hold enough coldies to keep em occupied ;D ;D

i have to get serious though ad launch the beast,,, its been wet a couple of times,, but not with me as skipper,,

paddles,,it draws 6 inches of water,, 90 yamaha on the rear,, so it does get up and go,,, and yes the old owners of the bribie boat hire were intro'ed in it to join their fleet,, but sold the business prior,,

the pic doesn't really do it justice,, as what you mentioned re ""overnite camp"",, it has full storm covers that fully enclose to keep out all the nasty's,, toilet on board,, water storage,,

and safe for chopjr ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Roughasguts
22-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Choppa, now that be a good work platform, be a good fire works barge Etc.
Mate of mine has a boat similar it cost him 50k but I hope he never want's to sell it, there popular in the States but in Aus, there few and far between.

Could make a nice house boat 16 foot box on top all decked out could then fetch 100k. Bit like those caravan come house boats seen the price of those Ouch.

disorderly
22-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Choppa,the boat looks like it would make a great mobile ,floating holiday house.Be good for weekends exploring estuaries,lakes or dams.

finga64
22-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Hey Brian or scalem or .....I get so confused lately :'(,
Paul has moved into his new house on the end of one of the channels in Raby Bay on the week-end.
Now theres tons of real nice boats there and whilst I was there over 3 days not 1 moved (except for his #:)) The weather was perfect but for the life of me could not work out why zero boats moved.

Scalem
22-11-2006, 09:07 PM
Finga,

Give Paul my regards, It's time he spoke up and tell me when he goes out so I can show him some spots to fish, instead of vica versa in the Sydney Pittwater. ;D

You have to agree, why do people invest so much money in nice boats, and not use them? Maybe they are scared of fuel costs? If I had a big cat or something and no money to fuel it, I'd still idle out the front somewhere and dangle a line or something. Like I said, there has to be a law written against not using a boat every once in a while. :)

Scalem

PinHead
23-11-2006, 05:43 AM
it is not usually the cost that deters..lack of time is the problem in a lot of instances...too many other things...guy next to me at the marina...bought a Mustang 32' just over a year ago...wife and 2 sons....he has sold it now...not enough time with the kids sport and if he was getting another boat..wanted a clipper style boat..more room for the kids to walk around plus wanted to take the dog. Everyone has different lifestyles and sometimes it is hard to fit in everything.