PDA

View Full Version : Bearing Grease

harry_h01
22-11-2006, 09:08 AM
I'm about to install a set of bearing buddies onto the boat trailer.

My question is, What grease to use? I was looking to use marine grease, the same as I am using on the boat motor.

And 2. Do I need to clean out the old grease before I install the protectors, or will the new grease work its way through eventually?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Harry

Noelm
22-11-2006, 09:28 AM
now would be a great time to fully clean and repack the bearings I would say.

blaze
22-11-2006, 10:06 AM
I'm with Noelm here, a real good time to wash and check bearings before repacking them. You need to look at the running surface of the cup and cone. The cup is easy to see but you also need to have a good look between the rollors to check the cone for any signs of wear.
cheers
blaze

murf
22-11-2006, 10:12 AM
for the price of bearings its a cheap peace of mind to replace them unless they are in perfect order and not too old then you could clean and repack them.
Totally clean out all old grease and repack with new
Which ever way you go I would replace the seals ;)
I was always taught not to over pack bearings in trailers which flies in the face of the bearing buddy system :-?
I will be putting buddies on my boat trailer when I next service the bearings.
Cheers Murf

Sportfish_5
22-11-2006, 10:17 AM
I would rather use a high temp bearing grease than a "Marine" grease in wheel bearings. Better make sure the "Marine Grease" is also a high temp bearing grease. Castrol has one I think :-?

I personally wouldn't even muck around too much with the bearing inspection unless they are fairly new. Just replace them all and put new seals in as well while you have it stripped down. Cheap insurance every couple of years to replace bearings regardless if you do a lot of miles.

FNQCairns
22-11-2006, 11:19 AM
I like marine grease simply for the need to use only one gun, I try these days to ensure things are kept simple, although if you use those crappy marine bearing seals, they will sometimes even let rainwater in!!
If using the other type of seal a better grease could be used or the marine stuff, probably wouldn't matter either way in the end.

I am totally over the arguments for marine seals on dunked trailers and will only fit the vehicle type now to my stuff, but still use a marine grease for simplicity.

cheers fnq

Roughasguts
22-11-2006, 12:32 PM
Go to super cheap and buy a new gal hub,, that includes bearings, seals studs, nuts and a split pin, 40 bucks each.

Stuff the bearings full of castrol marine grease, then go easy on filling the bearing buddy, just until the cap starts to wobble, and the air is purged.
Heat will still build up and you wan't the cap, on the buddy to move not hard up against the stop.
Otherise you know what will happen.
The bearing buddy is there to help fill the void with grease, no air no water is the theory.

Remember that grease gun pumps out up to 3000 psi and will easily push your rear seal out., they work like a 2 ton hydralic ram.

HarryO
22-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Hi Harry, and all.. (good name ;) )

the guys are right, good time to clean & inspect
the bearings.

Whatever brand grease you use, it MUST be
Hi Temp to suit wheel bearings. NOTHING ELSE !!

Do NOT use ordinary marine grease in the hubs,
it will melt.

Most manufacturers make a non-clay based wheel bearing
grease, translucent in colour (green,blue,red,etc).

Avoid the brown coloured grease if you can, even if it
says its suitable for wheel bearings.

Renew the seals as well, as they are not expensive.

Harry.

Sniper
22-11-2006, 08:23 PM
If your trailer has brakes on it, escpecially hydralic braking system, definatley make sure you use High Temp. I use Castrol boating grease myself. No brakes on the trailer and it is a high temp, but not as high as some. The only problem with Castol boating grease is that its not available in a cartridge, so you have to load your gun manually. I'd personally change the bearings and seals, but use good quality bearings and seals. There are some cheap ones out there which won't cut the mustad.
Billyboy

MEGA'bite
22-11-2006, 08:26 PM
I fit tow ball covers over my b/buddies with a zip tie no water gets in them then. soft plastic ones from super cheap.

dnej
22-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Lithium based grease is definitely the way to go,and dont mix clay base grease with lithium.Mobile do a good one,its blue in colour.
David

griz066
22-11-2006, 09:49 PM
Without a doubt OMC Triple guard (blue) will last for yonks in salt water on steering and stuff 8-)

impulse492f
22-11-2006, 09:55 PM
One comment I'll add is that reading my trailer documentation it states to use a water soluble grease. The reason is if water does get in it will mix with the grease and continue to lube the bearings until you service them. I have noticed that most marine grease eg Shell Nautilus goes hard and looses its lubrication properties.

Any comments?

Roughasguts
22-11-2006, 10:03 PM
impulse492f, mate I think all grease goes hard, or gets a skin first, if subject to air and the elements.

If you keep it away from air, dust, water and to much heat you will get some years out of the stuff.

After all it must be solvent based eg: evaporate.... Otherwise petrol wouldn't break it down.

harry_h01
23-11-2006, 07:51 AM
Thanks for all the advice

I will be pulling the bearing this weekend and starting with a new set.

I've got some high temp bearing grease to pack them with, and I'll be replacing the seals also.

Thanks again.

Harry

Roughasguts
23-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Get some emery paper as well, a couple of foot of inch wide abrasive paper. That stuff is good for removing any burrs on your stub axle just in case you have trouble getting over the ridge or burr, with the new bearing.