PDA

View Full Version : Loss of washing facility at Manly Boat Harbour

charleville
22-11-2006, 02:01 PM
Many of us who launch from the southern public boat ramp at Manly Boat Harbour have taken advantage of a garden hose type tap that is located adjacent to the boat rigging area beside the ramp to connect our own hoses etc and flush our motors and to hose the salt out of brakes and running gear. :( It has been very convenient to do that immediately after a trip whilst the saltwater has not dried to just salt and the motor is still warm.

However, as can be seen from the picture below, that hose tap has been replaced by one that does not connect a hose and also is spring loaded so that water will only come out when the tap is held open. :-/

I reckon that this is a mean spirited action by the Port of Brisbane Authority or whoever manages that tap. >:( Flushing of motors and brakes is allowed under the water restrictions and the labour and materials to replace the tap must have cost more than the water used by boaties to do such for the next decade. :-/

Now, boaties will have to flush salt water on to their lawns at home damaging grass and gardens and also provoking comments from neighbours who are not aware of the regulations concerning boat motor flushing etc. :(

What next? Bring your own water to flush the nearby toilets if you want to use them? ;D

The water-nazis have lost the plot, me thinks. :(

JasonT
22-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Or you could try car lovers Charlie! If you're lucky there's one close to the ramp!

That's what I do most of the time as usually it is too late/early to be running an outboard or banging away cleaning a boat!

Doesn't cost much.. And you can do a great job...

Jason

JasonT
22-11-2006, 02:40 PM
But I do understand your annoyance at not being able to flush your motor while it's warm
:-)
Scarborough has done similar with their taps.

Jason.

charleville
22-11-2006, 03:09 PM
Or you could try car lovers Charlie! If you're lucky there's one close to the ramp!

What is "Car Lovers"? Obviously a car wash facility of some sort but I gues that it is not an automatic wash like you run your car thru at some BP garages with spinning brushes that come down to fit over the car's shape.

What about motor flushing?

john_laura
22-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Tuff I say!

Wash the boat at car lovers etc and councils allow flushing of the motor at your home to the manufactures requirements.

John

lighthouse2k
22-11-2006, 06:44 PM
Try finding a public tap in Sydney with a thread on it. Good luck!!

Argle
23-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Moreton Bay Trailer Boat Club have installed rainwater tanks for the benefit of members, now all we need is some more rain!!!

Cheers and Beers
Scott

JasonT
23-11-2006, 10:02 AM
You can flush at carlovers if you take a bucket or similar container to place your motor in.
You can't connect the hoses they have to muffs!
High pressure soap wash then a good rinse gives the best results for me.. It takes me about 10 mins. I also give the trailer and underside of the ute a good spray..

JT

DaMaGe
23-11-2006, 10:11 AM
I guess the spring loaded tap stops the NON boaties switching it ON and leaving it ON filling up the Bay with our dam water.

charleville
23-11-2006, 01:58 PM
Tuff I say!

You weren't the miserable bloke who changed the taps were you??? ;D ;D ;D

hussy
23-11-2006, 03:56 PM
i do mine at home with my own hose . at least my neighbours only have to listen to one motor flush, not all weekend ,day and night revving the guts outa the motor. good on them. bob h