PDA

View Full Version : How do I straighten my anchor?

charleville
22-11-2006, 05:12 PM
The Danforth anchor that I normally use on my aluminium runabout is pretty weighty and used to hold the boat very well but I reckon that it is not doing so well lately and I suspect that it is because the tines are no longer in alignment.

I suspect that this might make the anchor screw around a bit with just one tine trying to do the work but not with a fully flat face to the seabed.

I have been trying to work out how to straighten the tines to be in alignment again. I don't think that my little vice at home is up to the task.

Has anyone any ideas on how to align the tines on a danforth, please?

Roughasguts
22-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Stick 2 blocks of wood under the round to keep the anchor straight.

Then drive over the high side with the 4x4 or car.

Chimo
22-11-2006, 06:26 PM
after first putting a sheet of ply or thin plank on the tine you're going to bend by driving over. Much easier on the tyre especially as you get to the pointy bit ::)

Roughasguts
22-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Thats a good point, Chimo.

charleville
22-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Stick 2 blocks of wood under the round to keep the anchor straight.

Then drive over the high side with the 4x4 or car.

I am tempted to say something like "They don't call you 'Roughasguts' for nothing, do they?" # ;D ;D ;D #....but it might just work.

Many thanks for that, guys. #:)

Chimo
22-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Of course it will work! ;)

The only thing you will probably need to do to fine tune the job is after the first drive over if the base is level on the ground; (as Rough As Guts)was trying to say; you will probably find that the tines are not quite in line.

For the second drive over lift the base height up a fraction with thin plank or ply to under the "good" side to give thebad side a bit more travel. This should compensate for the "spring" in the steel and give you tine exactly level, if you use the right extra fraction of compensatory lift.

Chimo

Chimo
22-11-2006, 07:26 PM

The only thing you will probably need to do to fine tune the job is after the first drive over if the base is level on the ground; (as Rough As Guts)was trying to say; you will probably find that the tines are not quite in line.

For the second drive over lift the base height up a fraction with thin plank or ply to under the "good" side to give thebad side a bit more travel. This should compensate for the "spring" in the steel and give you tine exactly level, if you use the right extra fraction of compensatory lift.

Chimo

Chimo
22-11-2006, 07:27 PM

Chimo

disorderly
22-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Charleville,I was thinking the exact same thing,though of course,I'm far to polite to say it .Could just visualise the pointy end going through the tyrewall.Roughasguts,its good to see these old fashioned methods still in use.I come in for a bit of flak at times because of my use of fencing wire and baling twine to solve many a problem.
Cheers Scott

Chimo
22-11-2006, 07:45 PM
Next take a photo and put it up for us to have a look at. ::)

Ta

charleville
22-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Ah -please don't mistake my humour for a lack of appreciation for the advice. It is just that I did something similar about thirty years ago to break a tyre off its rim.

The only things is that I did not do it on level ground and the car swerved around and rolled down hill and hit a tree. :( ;D ;D ;D

The advice is much appreciated. Many thanks.

:)

blaze
22-11-2006, 08:03 PM
I am afraid to say the technology that you guys are sugesting is far to modern, The blocks of wood I can understand but the car, come on, what happened to the age of iron and the back of a bloody axe. Big bend, big hit and as the bend decreases the power of the hits do to.
cheers
blaze

Roughasguts
22-11-2006, 08:04 PM
disordely ain't nuthen wrong with fencing wire, held up many of my temp jobs 20 years ago. Then some clown re-invented it, now the ZIP TIE,
same thing just looks better.

Thanks Chimo, for filling the holes in for me.

Charleville, thats hilarious, would of loved to have seen the tyre bead job and the swearing after the tree insident.

Bit of Russel Coight, going on there.

Chimo
22-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Gees Blaze,

Rough As Guts and I thought about the axe but dismissed it for two reasons
1 Charles sounds like the sort of bloke who is a gas man probably with a stainless BBQ therefore an axe would probably not have been available, neither would an anvil
2 We didn't want to get nastty dints in the anchor as
a) they look unsightly and
b) they would have rusted / corroded due to loss of gal in the dint area ;D

Rough As Guts and I have also discussed it and we think you should be forthwith known as "Very Rough Blaze" ;)

Cheers
Chimo

charleville
23-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Charleville, thats hilarious, would of loved to have seen the tyre bead job and the swearing after the tree insident.

Bit of Russel Coight, going on there.

Yeah - real Russell Coight! ;D

Actually, I was lucky that the car skewed around and hit the only tree in my front yard. :-[ I hate to think about what might have happened if the car continued its downwards travel. :o

I cannort remember why, but I was not in the car at the time. :-/ Perhaps, I got out to have a look at the progress in getting the tyre off the rim. I actually thought that I had put the gears in 'park' but not so. The car rolled back with the drivers door open and I was between it and the open garage door. The car door hit the tilt-a-door mechanism and the car door dropped off at my feet whilst the car rolled backwards and skewed around to hit that one solitary lonely tree.

Whew!! :(

Anyway, once again, thanks for the advice. Will do the job on the weekend and take pictures.

I actually have two anchors to fix as I dragged up one down at the 'Pin once and it suffers the same ailment.

Roughasguts
23-11-2006, 02:42 PM
Geez charleville, glad you only hurt your pride, makes a good laugh 20 years down the track though.

Hmmm I could write a book on all my lucky escapes, think I should apply for a job as a safety officer I got plenty of experiance.

charleville
23-11-2006, 06:28 PM
Hmmm I could write a book on all my lucky escapes

Ahh maaate, you and me both. ;D

The upside is that my kids, who now range in age from 23 to 31, are all as safety conscious as hell.

They look before they cross roads and in no way would any of them ever climb a tree with a circular saw. :o "Wimps!, I say. ;D ;D ;D I still have all my bits. ;D

Then again, I never wanted to be like my Dad either. ;)