PDA

View Full Version : Are you acting illegally and if so why?

bidkev
20-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Haven't placed a poll before and this is a bit of a mixed bag of questions to guage member's opinions regarding safety/personal ability and protection of investment. I've put it in the general section 'cause I feel it is mostly about folk's attitude to the water crisis as much as it is about boat maintenance, but if the mods think that's inappropriate, that's ok as I mysef just couldn't decide ::) It may well open a can of worms so I'll put myself in the firing line first ;D

First up, I wash the rig after every trip, invariably the day after. I do it illegally because she's a big rig, I have a considerable amount of money invested in her, and I'm physically incapable of washing it via bucket so I use a gurney which is hose fed. I justify it (to myself) ::) that I am using less water than I would if I was using a bucket and if I employed a professional cleaner to do it I would hazard a guess that he wouldn't do as good a job as I do myself. I tried taking it to a truck wash once but the bloody queue was a mile long and I gave up in disgust ::)

A couple of things to bear in mind:

What about those big rigs that sit in water all day at moorings and are continually subject to salt spray? I never see those buggers washing their boats down regularly :-/ :-/ Sometimes we go camping/boating and the rig/engine is sitting in salt for a week at a time..if that's ok, then why isn't it ok to miss a wash now and again?

Fibre Glass and stainless wouldn't be at as great a risk from lack of washing as tinnies, I'm guessing :-/

I would welcome your views in regards to the pitfalls of not washing after every trip for both glass and ally boats.

Yes, I know there are pressure washers that suck water but a couple of people I know who smile when they're washing 'cause they know there's little chance of getting caught, fill the bloody water container with a hose anyway.........are you this devious? ::) ;D

My attitude is <puts on flak jacket> If I get caught tomorrow and am fined 150 bucks, then I consider that value for money if I've managed 5 washes before getting caught...30 bucks a wash to protect 90 grand ain't too bad in my books, particularly as I'm doing my bit for the water shortage by not slopping water all over the drive from the soaked sponges from umpteen buckets.

Option 1 & 2 Have you acted illegally in regard to current water restrictions?

option 3, 4 & 5 How important is washing your rig ?

Option 6 & 7 Do you think it's worth the fine if you're caught protecting your investment illegally?

Option 8 If you do, would you continue to act illegally to further protect your investment?

charleville
20-11-2006, 11:19 AM
It is very interesting to see at this early stage in Kev's poll that there is a 100% "no" vote. #

Then again, as I am the only voter at this stage and I voted 'no' that would explain it. #;D

The rules allow motor flushing and washing of brakes gear and that is what I do. #I am getting a bit concerned though that because I am not hosing out the interior like I used to do, the carpet is starting to show some stains that may be tricky to shift. #Overall, the boat is getting dusty and generally grubby inside. #The bait board can be a bit messy at times because all I do is give that a quick bucket of water at sea but it will be ok as I can scrape that off at any time and it comes up ok.

I am conscious of scum staining on the painted exterior sides of my Quinnie and occasionally I will use a nylon scourer and a bucket of water with auto wash in it to clean that off. #That works pretty well.

The boats sits out in the open at home so I hope that the bit of rainfall that we have been getting has cleaned off the windscreen enough to prevent any etching by salt and whatever lands on it.

I am a bit conscious of needing to avoid #breaking the rules only because my next door neighbour has gone to the expense of putting in a big rainwater tank and fully reticulating it so whilst my relationship with them is good, I don't want to create any opportunities for ill sentiments about who is doing what they can for the water shortage situation and who is not.

Because I do sometimes go fishing several times each week when the weather allows (this week looks good!), I often don't flush the motor after each trip as it will be used in the next day or so and whatever salt is in there will be dislodged then.

I remain sceptical about the extent of the 'crisis' for greater Brisbane though.

blaze
20-11-2006, 11:39 AM
Hi Kev
I had to go with NO because someone needs to tell me what water restictions are :), last time we had them was about 20 years ago. Put that down to a council with forsight and good infrastructure.
Do I wash every trip NO, I flush 95% of the time but if going out the next day I dont.
cheers
blaze
ps
if I was in your shoes Kev, I think you have done the sums well

marshy
20-11-2006, 12:04 PM
Very interesting poll Kev, I'm very kucky that I have access to a pressure washer at work so I have answered no. But if I were in you shoes I would be waying up the risk of being fined against neglecting your investment & I would continue to wash it as you are doing.Let's hope you don't get busted for a long time or better still not at all.

Marshy :)

Brett1907
20-11-2006, 12:29 PM
Haven't voted cause I don't have a boat and have to buy water tanks for the house first anyway.

Kingtin, have you thought abaout buying a small tank, you can get one big enough to wash the boat for less than $300. That way it will cost you less than $30 per wash over the long term and if they try to fine you, you can give them the finger. Works both ways.

I'm all for water conservation, but common sense is also required by the powers that be. How about Canberra admitting to increasing their water and energy consumption over the past year rather than reducing it like they said they would!!

Brett

marlinqld
20-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Fortunately for us, in the Redland Shire we dont have the strict watrer restrictions you have elsewhere

We can still wash our boats/cars and fluch our motors as normal. We have a dam that is quite full and pipes from Straddie.

Mike

PinHead
20-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Haven't placed a poll before and this is a bit of a mixed bag of questions to guage member's opinions regarding safety/personal ability and protection of investment. I've put it in the general section 'cause I feel it is mostly about folk's attitude to the water crisis as much as it is about boat maintenance, but if the mods think that's inappropriate, that's ok as I mysef just couldn't decide ::) It may well open a can of worms so I'll put myself in the firing line first ;D

First up, I wash the rig after every trip, invariably the day after. I do it illegally because she's a big rig, I have a considerable amount of money invested in her, and I'm physically incapable of washing it via bucket so I use a gurney which is hose fed. I justify it (to myself) #::) that I am using less water than I would if I was using a bucket and if I employed a professional cleaner to do it I would hazard a guess that he wouldn't do as good a job as I do myself. I tried taking it to a truck wash once but the bloody queue was a mile long and I gave up in disgust ::)

A couple of things to bear in mind:

What about those big rigs that sit in water all day at moorings and are continually subject to salt spray? I never see those buggers washing their boats down regularly :-/ :-/ Sometimes we go camping/boating and the rig/engine is sitting in salt for a week at a time..if that's ok, then why isn't it ok to miss a wash now and again?

Fibre Glass and stainless wouldn't be at as great a risk from lack of washing as tinnies, I'm guessing :-/

I would welcome your views in regards to the pitfalls of not washing after every trip for both glass and ally boats.

Yes, I know there are pressure washers that suck water but a couple of people I know who smile when they're washing 'cause they know there's little chance of getting caught, fill the bloody water container with a hose anyway.........are you this devious? ::) ;D

My attitude is <puts on flak jacket> If I get caught tomorrow and am fined 150 bucks, then I consider that value for money if I've managed 5 washes before getting caught...30 bucks a wash to protect 90 grand ain't too bad in my books, particularly as I'm doing my bit for the water shortage by not slopping water all over the drive from the soaked sponges from umpteen buckets.

Option 1 & 2 Have you acted illegally in regard to current water restrictions?

option 3, 4 & 5 #How important is washing your rig ?

Option 6 & 7 Do you think it's worth the fine if you're caught protecting your investment illegally?

Option 8 If you do, would you continue to act illegally to further protect your investment?

believe me kev..the rig gets washed regularly...water available at the marina for this purpose....I have spent a few bucks on my boat and like to keep it clean most of the time. ..plus there is antifoul on the legs so I do nto have to worry about that too much.

JasonT
20-11-2006, 12:53 PM
I think it was Poodroo (correct me if I'm wrong!) Who posted results of washing a car with a bucket and with the hose and used less water (measured via water meter readings) with the latter method.

IMO the bucket method is more wasteful than a well thought approach with a hose. However, having to use a bucket would deter some people from washing their car at all - and I think this is the reason the council has decided on buckets.

As for blood/bait stains... I put that into the category of health and safety - (We can't have flesh rotting and creating a great place for bacteria to thrive!) and have no probs using the hose to quickly spray the hard to get to with a sponge areas.

A neighbour had a bit of an issue with it, and to his credit approached me before deciding to ring BCC. When I explained that I was removing blood and guts that would otherwise stay in the boat to rot (and pointed out that it gets parked not far from his living room window!) he was quite happy with me using the hose to get rid of it! (thought he was even going to offer to help at one point!)

I make a general effort to conserve water, in that I don't water the lawn, I keep on top of leaking washers etc. Basicallly I try to do the right thing, and this has been reflected in my water usage.. (the landlords actually commented about how little water I use.)
Then again I'm a single bloke living by myself, so the water usage should be way less than the average family!

JT

AdrianK
20-11-2006, 01:35 PM
I am told motors and trailers can be washed with hoses, as are a safety imperative - ie rusted trailer axels would make your rig unsafe on the road.
AK

Reef_fisher
20-11-2006, 03:46 PM
I voted no simply because I live In Innisfail and we don't have any water problems. I still don't waste it though.

Mr__Bean
20-11-2006, 04:01 PM
I take mine to the car wash in Brendale, big enough to get a hardtop into and the boat gets a good wash inside and out. It gets too busy to do in normal hours so I take it late at night when it is quiet.

Mine sits out front of the house so every man and his dog would see me if I washed it at home.

I do flush the engine at home.

- Darren

bidkev
20-11-2006, 04:05 PM
Kingtin, have you thought abaout buying a small tank, you can get one big enough to wash the boat for less than $300. That way it will cost you less than $30 per wash over the long term and if they try to fine you, you can give them the finger. Works both ways.

Brett

Yeah Brett..but then I'd have to buy a pressure cleaner that sucks water and they ain't cheap.

kev

bidkev
20-11-2006, 04:08 PM
Mine sits out front of the house so every man and his dog would see me if I washed it at home.

- Darren

Yeah, so does mine Darren........I feel guilty as hell when someone walks past ::)

One thing I've learned though, if you're gonna do it, then don't do it between 8.30 and 9.00 or 2.30 and 3.00...........that's the time the moms are doing the school runs and the likelihood is they'll see you..........let's face it, their eyes are anywhere except on the road ;) ;D

kev

Brissyguy
20-11-2006, 04:11 PM
Our boat is in a Marina and stays on the water.
I have the motor rigged to flush it not running and also whilst tilted up.

The hull is anti fouled so no problems there...

After each trip I pour fresh water (from a bucket) all over her to rinse the salt off.

So I can say No...

Cheers,
Rich.

dogsbody
20-11-2006, 04:17 PM
I voted yes. I only have a tinny but it is just as important to me as Kevs is to him. We don't water anything around the house, let nature take its course in that regards. So i think im allowed to wash the boat once a month twice if im real lucky. Has anyone tried to wash under a smaller craft with a bucket?, Pain in the sphinkter! It's a hose job for mine.

Dave.

BrandonH
20-11-2006, 04:27 PM
I voted yes. But I don't do as thorough a job as i use to before the restrictions. I think if you know what your doing you will use less water using a hose/pressure system then a bucket. I did the bucket thing once. it took 4 times the time it would using a hose and i managed to miss a couple of spots that ended up getting some nice salt encrustation marks on the hull >:( Mine lives in the shed but has to be washed outside. I like keeping the inside clean too so the smelly stuff dosn't drift up stairs ::)

I have tried washing the rig down the road at car lovers but all the cr#p in the boat kept blowing back into the boat :-/ probablly a different story for a bigger boat.

Cheers
Brandon...

dogsbody
20-11-2006, 04:27 PM
Hey Kev, I think the government offer up to a $1500 rebate on a tank so you could buy a pressure cleaner for around $200. I spose it's a matter of having the funds first for the tank,im renting so i can't do the tank job.

Dave.

thehoodedwarriors
20-11-2006, 04:28 PM
As I hav said in another thread in regards to washing your boat, My bet would be to take it down to a place live car lovers etc and pay the $20 is takes to get your rig washed (that price depends on the size of your rig as well!).

Brett and I don't own a boat but the cost we are saving to get even a cheapy runs well over what it costs by the council to use the water. If you are in an area where your boat sits out the front and you have those busy body neighbours that will run to the council, on your way back form a great day, stop in there and give her the once over.

Not only do you not get into trouble by the council you can use a gurney and make sure you get all the grunge off her. I believe that if you pay $20,000 for a decent boat you should be able to clean her in your front/back yard but in some circumstances its just not that easy.

We are on tank water where we are and as long as you have a sign up you can do what you want. But being a preious resident in the Brisbane City area I can understand completely how neighbours nad the council will react.

Its in the end up to yourselves what you do but if car lovers are happy to use their water then I say spend that little bit extra and do it there.

Think of it this way... If you catch fish for dinner then the money you spend saves you buying dinner..

Happy hunting,
The Hooded Warriors

dogsbody
20-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Think of it this way... If you catch fish for dinner then the money you spend saves you buying dinner..

Happy hunting,
The Hooded Warriors[/quote]

Hodded Warrior, But have'nt you already shelled out for your dinner in buying the boat in the first place. :) :) :)

Dave.

bidkev
20-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Hey Kev, I think the government offer up to a $1500 rebate on a tank so you could buy a pressure cleaner for around $200. I spose it's a matter of having the funds first for the tank,im renting so i can't do the tank job.

Dave.

Rung and e mailed quite a few companies....they're having a beano.........the earliest delivery was late April/early May

kev

SeaHunt
20-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Kingtin, have you thought abaout buying a small tank, you can get one big enough to wash the boat for less than $300. #That way it will cost you less than $30 per wash over the long term and if they try to fine you, you can give them the finger. #Works both ways.

Brett

Yeah Brett..but then I'd have to buy a pressure cleaner that sucks water and they ain't cheap.

kev

They are not that bad Kev, I got a Karcher for $299 and it sucks, and there was a cheaper/smaller model Karcher that sucked.
Two fines would buy one. :D
You have the option of buying a pressure pump for the tank and using a normal hose with trigger.
Buckets are supposed to be 20 litres or less, and you are not supposed to use the hose to fill the bucket, just directly from the tap.
My tap is a fair way from where I wash the boat so I am installing a new tap closer, then I will bucket a short distance (2 feet) to a storage box which holds about 70 litres and suck from that so I can do the whole boat in one go.
As far as I can tell that is all legal.
Then I will go inside and open a beer and jump into a hot bath and use another couple of hundred litres.
It is a wonder they havn't banned that, but then how would they know.
Gone are the days when you washed your boat for a couple of hours and left the hose running full pelt on the lawn in between uses.
Even when the dams fill up this summer there will probably still be some bans. :P

bungie
20-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Kev,

http://www.nrw.qld.gov.au/water/saverscheme/pdf/waterwise_scheme.pdf

The state government will give a rebate of up to $1000, towards the supply and installation of rain water tank and pressure pump. You seem like a handy bloke so most of the install can be done by yourself, might find you are only out of pocket $300 - $500.
Saves wasting the the potable water, and you wont need to get a new gurney.

Sorry mate but "30 bucks a wash to protect 90 grand ain't too bad in my books" is not a good enough reason to pour potable water down the storm water drains. To many people think its somebody else's problem not mine, sitting here boasting about it ain't gonna make you any new friends :) ;)

hussy
20-11-2006, 05:10 PM
they are selling plastic 44 gallon drums near my place for $25.00 put a tee off the downpipe and hook up to karcher. could work

thehoodedwarriors
20-11-2006, 05:31 PM

Happy hunting,
The Hooded Warriors

Hodded Warrior, But have'nt you already shelled out for your dinner in buying the boat in the first place. :) :) :)

Dave.[/quote]

You get a lot more out of that boat than just fish for dinner

bidkev
20-11-2006, 05:36 PM
Kev,

The state government will give a rebate of up to $1000, towards the supply and installation of rain water tank and pressure pump. You seem like a handy bloke so most of the install can be done by yourself, might find you are only out of pocket $300 - $500.

Sorry mate but "30 bucks a wash to protect 90 grand ain't too bad in my books" is not a good enough reason to pour potable water down the storm water drains. To many people think its somebody else's problem not mine, sitting here boasting about it ain't gonna make you any new friends :) ;)

I ain't boasting mate, I'm just trying to gauge other folk's feelings on the matter and how important it is to them to wash their boat. I know of folks who never wash down from one year to the next.

One of the points I'm making is that it's alright for someone to wash their boat with buckets and probably most of the water drips off the sponge and goes down the drive, isn't directed efficiently to where the water should be concentrated and is wasted, whilst I could be penalised for using less water via a pressure cleaner.

I'm zero lotted so my only option is a slimline tank which has a minimum delivery date of 6 months :o ::) Even then, if I do install, I will have a bare 2 feet to squeeze round it down the side of the house.

The post was intended to gauge reaction so that I could identify certain issues that may just fire me up enough to start a pressure group to try and convince the minister for water that the bucket rule (in relation to boaties) is a detriment to water conservation, not a help. If a pressure cleaner is more efficient, then shouldn't they be legislating for that?

It may sound pompous but I think I have a "right" to use a water efficient method of cleaning my rig, when I have put other considerations into saving water. I have a "dry" garden, planned for water conservation which I don't water at all, whilst folk around me are chucking mega bucket litres of water onto their gardens for an hour, 3 days a week. Me washing my rig once a fortnight (at most) pales into insignificance when compared to that...........the law's an ass..........as someone once said, and I will continue to say ;D

kev

bidkev
20-11-2006, 05:39 PM
As I hav said in another thread in regards to washing your boat, My bet would be to take it down to a place live car lovers etc and pay the $20 is takes to get your rig washed (that price depends on the size of your rig as well!).

That's ok in theory but it takes me an hour to clean my rig properly. How would you feel if you were behind me in the queue?

No thanks, I'd rather deal with a water inspector.........dealing with road rage, ramp rage, kid's Xmas wish list rage, and the deckie's "the bloody pick's stuck" rage is enough for me, without having to deal with car wash rage ;D

kev

thehoodedwarriors
20-11-2006, 05:45 PM

That's ok in theory but it takes me an hour to clean my rig properly. How would you feel if you were behind me in the queue?

No thanks, I'd rather deal with a water inspector.........dealing with road rage, ramp rage, kid's Xmas wish list rage, and the deckie's "the bloody pick's stuck" rage is enough for me, without having to deal with car wash rage ;D

kev

8-) 8-) 8-)

Kev you need to chill out and get some of that stress out of your life!

I suppose that is true but at the same time depends ont he car wash place. If your an avid fisherwoman like I am I would be happy sitting watching till your finished.

bidkev
20-11-2006, 05:55 PM

kev

8-) 8-) 8-)

I suppose that is true but at the same time depends ont he car wash place. If your an avid fisherwoman like I am I would be happy sitting watching till your finished.

You mean you wouldn't get out and help me? Bugger! ;D

kev

StevenM
20-11-2006, 06:19 PM
Kev I voted yes

I was my boat at work on the way home from fshing evertime usint the preeure washer...so no rules broken

I flush my outboard at home...no rules broken.

But

I wash my fishing gear like rods with soapy water..no rules broken, and then......rinse off with the hose.....please dont think I am a criminal.

Cheers

Steven

finga64
20-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Yep, I'll have to say I'm a criminal.
Bloody little boat took me too friggin' long and I lost too much bark off the knuckles and sweat out of my brow doing it up to let corrode away because this silly government couldn't see far enough in the future to allow for the massive population explosion in SEQ. Knumbskulls they are >:(
Bloody hell, until a week or so ago it was legal for lazy so and so's to empty their dirty 50,000L pool down the gutter and refill it again with nice clean water instead of spending a few hours cleaning the existing water in the pool. Where's the logic in that??

But on the other hand I know what it's like to have no water so we don't use very much water anyways at the best of times.
We don't water the garden at all from the tap. (was have a grey water system that does a lap around the house evry week or so just using shower water) we have a front loader washer and we have short showers to name a few saving measures.

Really hard to throw water under a hull from a bucket, so the hose does the job for me but whenever possible I go to a rello in the Redlands to wash the boat out after a hard day on the water.
In my own little mind I know I'm saving more water then most of the neighbourhood so I haven't got a guilty mind at all when I wash the boat.

How many people turn the tap off whilst brushing their teeth??
We learnt that years ago when I was a kid when the only wter we had was from a 1000 gallon tank.

My conscience is clear because I make sacrifices elsewhere so I can wash the boat.

PS I'm sure I read in the fine print of the rebate scheme that the work has to be done by a licensed person and no a drivers license won't do ;)

PPs I'm with Kev.
I'm not going to get into the carwash rage when someone pulls in behind me and I start to pull the boat apart to wash it. It takes me about an hour to pull apart, wash and put back together.
I'm also not going to go to a carwash at 10pm so there isn't anybody else there to (a) me to peeve or (b) somebody to peeve me

Time for a green ginger the cook tells me so ta ta :)

thehoodedwarriors
20-11-2006, 06:40 PM

I must say kev I don't know about your other half but it is a rule in our house that I must help with EVERYTHING that is relating to fishing.. so if you needed the help I would be happy to wash down your rig..

kev

8-) 8-) 8-)

You mean you wouldn't get out and help me? Bugger! #;D

kev

stevedemon
20-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Hi all
Kev my opinion only does not matter how much you pay for your boat and motor as it is your investment and your money

i have a 5.3mtr Fibreglass Stebercraft Half cab 1973 model with a 1989 115hp Yammy on the back i rebuilt this myself from just a bare hull no motor no electric's, lights, guages nothing it is my pride and joy and the wife loves it to i have spent many hours in it

my vessel gets wash every trip as to the motor this to me is the most important part of the boat to wash and flush down.

but also to wash the boat after a fishing trip so as not to have to many flies and maggots hanging around.

flushing motor with flush tank i always use fresh water Vinegar first flush and coolant for second flush

but i must admitt that i take my vessel to a car wash to use the gurney and brush this also get to the trailer and removes the salt from the day or weekend so all parts of the boat , motor and trailer.

all get wash so as it will last longer an safer it is the same as to carry out regular maintaince on all trailer and motor at all times battteries

but like what has happen last week charge batteries no problems but they broke down on me on the water you just never know thank goodness i carry 3 batteries on board

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

liberty
20-11-2006, 07:35 PM
because this silly government couldn't see far enough in the future to allow for the massive population explosion in SEQ. Knumbskulls they are >:(

Ain't that the truth. I love a quote I read recently that "the Government running out of water is like losing a race with a turtle. You got to be asleep for an awful long time for it to happen".

Personally, I just don't see why you can't buy a "limited water use" licence of some such. Using a bucket on my boat takes 10x more water than a high-pressure hose (I measured). So if I use a gerni, why the stupid hassle of having to cart 20litre (20kg) buckets of water and shagging my back?

Yes, fresh water is a limited resource howver I am going to wash my boat *every* time I take it out.

Yes, gernies are more water efficient than a regular hose but the point is that it takes *exactly* the same amount of water to wash my boat with or without those damn buckets.

I will stop when it is done. Not before and not after. Do they think I will stop before the boat is clean so that it can corrode at $100/week? And conversely, do they think I would voluntarily give up more of the fishing part of my Leave Pass to spend time aimlessly squirting water around?

Short-sighted Morons.

[Soap Box Off, "Click"]

PinHead
20-11-2006, 08:54 PM
Kev,

Sorry mate but "30 bucks a wash to protect 90 grand ain't too bad in my books" is not a good enough reason to pour potable water down the storm water drains. To many people think its somebody else's problem not mine, sitting here boasting about it ain't gonna make you any new friends :) #;)

The biggest waster of potable water during this so called crisis is none other than the Brisbane City Council. They have reduced the mains water pressure. Why? Because the pipes have had no maintenance done to them. Every day on the radio you hear of another burst water main somewhere in the suburbs...why? no maintenance. The council was in our area recently..loud hailer mounted on the car stating the water would be turned off for a short time...next thing they have opened the mains and there was enough water running down the gutters to wash several hundred cars. Campbell should be concerned with fixing the water pipes long before he worries about bloody tunnels under the river.
Another item I find intersting...they state that the dams are at just below 25% capacity...25% of Wivenhoe is equal to Somerset being full to the brim....up until about 25 years back we only had Somerset...something does not seem quite right...I know the population has increased but not by that much.

stevedemon
20-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Hi all
pinhead you are right but not only is brisbane city council wasting water so to are the gold coast and logan city council allowing developers to fill there water tankers at the fire hydrants just to wet the dirt instead on making and issue of using recycled water 10 mins down the road they are using up to 8 tankers a day on one development site when will both local an government departemnts use the heads if we waste water it is $150.00 per fine a business is any thing from $1500.00 up wards but you never see these departments finenig themselves for stupidity

as for the gurney you use less water then a hose usin a hose uses less water than a bucket if you use the hose properly by turning it off when washing

Cheer ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

haggis
20-11-2006, 10:14 PM
I always catch the cold water from the shower start up and put in the outboard flush bucket , I never get quite enough so I use the hose to finish filling up the bucket .
I then flush the outboard for a bout seven minutes or longer depending on the amount of beer I am drinking at the time . I then use the water to wash the boat and trailer . I hose out the wheels and springs but go to the local car wash to inside the chassi rails .
all the used water ends up on my lawn . the only time it ever gets watered . I never water my garden plants as they are all drought hardy and have been growing great for the past five years so I think I am saving the council water and they even tell me this in my rates bill . If I get caught using the hose it will depend on how mental the handbrake goes whether I will still use the hose .
hope it rains all week but not at the weekend .
cheers fae haggis ..................

25_ponies
20-11-2006, 10:57 PM
Kev,

Here's what I do. I've checked this with council, and they say it's fine (verbal only at this stage - will get it in writing when I get a chance):

- Flush outboard with tap/hose as per normal
- Collect flush water from underneath in those blue plastic storage tubs (about 45L I think). I use 2 of them about 3/4 full, so probably about 60L total.
- Use pressure cleaner with bucket pickup capability to clean rest of boat on the lawn.

According to council, this is fine on 2 fronts - #1 is that you are using recycled water from a permitted use (ie - the flushing), so no restrictions on what you use it for next, and #2 - you are using a bucket.

Whatever is left over from the wash then goes onto the garden. I'm really happy using this method, as I don't see it as wasting any water, and realisitically I probably use about the same as a person taking a 7 minute shower (7 x 9l/min). The used flush water might have some salt, but I'm happy with the job it does on my ally boat, and the windscreens look pretty clean after they've dried, so I don't think the salt residue is a problem.

You might be surprised how cheap the "bucket capable" pressure cleaners are these days. Get down to the auto store that's super and cheap - they're all from China and have 3 yr replacement wty - can't go wrong. If you pay more than $120 your're paying too much.

Now here's something interesting. My cleaner was only $70 or so, but doesn't have "bucket suck" capability. I thought I would have to buy a new one until I tried an experiment with putting a full bucket at the top of the driveway and the cleaner at the bottom - probably would be about 1.5-2m head of water. Got the suction going and then plugged the hose into the cleaner - whattdya know - it works as a bucket sucker !!.

Hope this idea helps someone.

Cheers,

Alan.

Mr__Bean
20-11-2006, 11:17 PM
they are selling plastic 44 gallon drums near my place for $25.00 #put a tee off the downpipe and hook up to karcher. could work

I used a similar concept when I lived in Victoria.

I used a couple of green 200 litre bins, they had wheels and a lid and I just drilled a big hole in the side at the bottom and put in a cheap tap.

My wife asked where I got them and I explained they are everywhere, nobody seems to want them. Poeple would just put them out in the street, every Wednesday night actually.

- Darren

finga64
21-11-2006, 06:17 AM
they make great shower water catchers as well
hole in the top, sump pump in the bottom...away we go :)

seatime
21-11-2006, 07:22 AM
Councils should consider rebates on pressure cleaners. What's the point of a tank if it doesn't rain?

It's a health and safety issue much of the time, fish guts in the boat can cause health probs, rusting trailers and brakes are a real safety concern.
Stopping one activity can lead to the creation of a larger problem.

Not everyone can afford or fit water tanks, or buy pressure cleaners and the like. Cleaning the boat and especially the trailer isn't wasting water, standing watering the garden for hours is IMO. I don't want to get into the subject of who the real water wasters are, as we already know who they are, they make the rules!

_Dan_
21-11-2006, 07:39 AM
they are selling plastic 44 gallon drums near my place for $25.00 #put a tee off the downpipe and hook up to karcher. could work

Can you tell me where exactly? i am very interested in getting a couple.

Also i flush everytime without fail, and i rinse the tinny with a bucket. I have tried th carlovers near my house and the boat an car wont fit in there (loganholme).

I hate being political but if the Wolfdene dam went ahead back in the 80's we may not be in this predicament :-X

Cheers

Dan

PADDLES
21-11-2006, 09:06 AM
dan try caboolture markets they had plastic drums there a few weeks ago.

we're lucky enough to have spear water cos we are in sand near the bay. i use the bore for the trailer and underside of the boat and use the tap for the outboard, and buckets for the topsides. have got it down to 3 10 litre buckets for everything up top.

probably gunna get shot here, but i reckon these water restrictions are a crock of poo. the way to make people think about water usage is to make em pay for it. imagine how much people would conserve water if it was 50c per litre say. imagine how much more efficient we'd be too if this cost was added to the cost of production of electricity (of which water is a major ingredient) people would be able to do what they like but it'd at least be at a price. ;)

James_Rand
21-11-2006, 09:57 AM
According to the Brisbane City Council web site:

Washing vehicle/boat/caravan/trailer: Washing with buckets filled directly from a tap
IS PERMITTED at any time.

Flushing of an inboard or outboard motor or any
other mechanical component (to prevent corrosion)
IS PERMITTED using a hose at any time.

jr/

seatime
21-11-2006, 10:01 AM
have seen those blue 200lt plastic drums for sale at Capalaba Produce, and smaller sizes in black, some with lids.
don't remember prices off hand, probably more than $25 tho, might be worth a call.

DaMaGe
21-11-2006, 11:44 AM
I have yet to go out fishing since the regulations in my boat. But recently was trying to start the engine and was very conscious about the hose running while the motor did not start. It's one of them things, if the engine did start and I had to run to the tap to turn it on, how much damage would occur to the water pump while it had started, or the engine and whatever.

Any hows I did cause quite a big puddle of water from running a small amount of water until it got started then turning up the hose while the engine ran for a few minutes. The grass is lovely and green in that area now.

In relation to hosing down the boat, I would tempt to get the hose out to give it a mist of a wash outside, then inside, I would certainly make the most out of the little water I use, but have yet to temp this, so don't try dobbing on me yet.

I drink Coke 100% of the time, which is bottled from Sydney and not affecting the Brisbane water supply, so does this make up for it -jokes-

liberty
21-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Actually that's given me a thought. I use a pressure washer but its a bit of b*stard carting over the 20litre bucket. All the stop/start/run out water/re-suck start the 20 litre bucket/etc ... is a right PITA.

Sooooooooooooo ... if I make up a 50litre container on a 1 metre high stand ... I can fill it with 10 litre buckets (no big deal) and it will give my sprayer more head pressure and continuous spray (someone else can top it up if req'd) which will make the job go faster... And more head pressure = more distance that the water can run from your 50litre reservoir to your gerni (via the gerni filling apparatus aka "hose"). So you can park your container alongside the tap. Stand there and fill it up with 10 litre buckets. Connect your gerni to the reservoir via a suitably long hose and off you go ...

Bingo!

In case you're curious a "bucket" is defined at 20 litres max. But so long as you fill whateever with the 20 litre or less bucket, you should be ok. There are no limitations on the gerni device itself.

hussy
24-11-2006, 10:09 AM
plastic drums for sale on #bestman road just before goodwin beach turnoff at $25 each # he has plenty # . #

# bob h

Dirtysanchez
24-11-2006, 01:11 PM
Thanks Bob H.. I might grab a few
Not so long ago I put down pipe diverters into several of the downpipes in my place, I have 60ltr chlorine buckets a mate in Sydney gives me when he comes up and I bought a 120 ltr wheely bin from Bunnings, which I put a tap into and can connect a hose to.

Now I don't have a boat :'( I actually plug the Karcher onto the hose coming off the wheely bin and spray that around the garden, I have had a few people walking past in the park ark up at me, but when I show them the gear I have installed they are fine.

Trouble now is we haven't had rain for a while and all my containers are empty now :-/

This is the problem with the concept of tanks etc, if it doesn't rain they aren't going to fill up, are they ?

Russell