PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Servicing at non Yamaha dealer

Ron173
24-11-2006, 10:07 AM
G'Day all,

My mate is asking if he can get his Yamaha 4 banger serviced by local dealer who is not a Yamaha agent?

The dealer says he can do it, and is a reputable competent dealer, but what we are concerned with is his warranty. :-/

I think he could be on a bit of an issue if he has a warranty claim on Yamaha, as they could say not serviced by them so no claim, but dealer seems to think that as long as he stamps book as registered marine mechanic serviced it will be ok?

Whats the opinion on this one?

Rgds

Ron

timddo
24-11-2006, 10:57 AM
i spoke to a mechanic once and he opinion where, the dealer needs to use yamaha oils.
If he uses something else it's void.

cheers

TheSaint
24-11-2006, 12:40 PM
It's not worth the risk of losing your warranty over plus i think having it serviced all it's life by Yamaha dealer is great selling point for future buyers of the vessel. Something to think about..

peterbo3
24-11-2006, 01:52 PM
As stated above, if genuine Yammy parts are used by a trained mechanic your warranty should be OK if oil or impeller changes are all that are involved.
The issue with the newer 4 strokes is that most have an electronic engine management unit that not only runs the engine but also records voltage output, temp, etc. Also some 4 strokes need to have valve clearances and other top end functions checked & adjusted. Non Yammy techs may not have the tools or the training to do this.
I know that my Johnsu needed to be hooked up to a computer with the appropriate Suzuki or Johnson software for the EMU records to be accessed. The EMU also was able to record the service done & the hours at which it was performed.
The EMU info can provide early warning of possible problems such as high or low voltage, temp variations & the like. I know that Suzi only provide the software to their dealers & I suspect that Yammy do the same.
If the manual indicates that a service should be carried out yearly or at 100 hours then I think it would be a wise investment to have it done at a Yammy dealer.
I will be putting a Suzi on the new boat & I do not want to stuff up the FIVE year warranty. If you ring around you will find that dealer prices for the same service vary greatly. A Merc mech is not going to charge you a lot less than a Yammi mech.
If you are a long way from a Yammy dealer then a call to Yamaha may be in order to see where you stand on this issue.