PDA

View Full Version : fuel problem quintrex 610 offshore

scottym
23-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Hi all,

We have had a quintrex 610 offshore for a few years now but we have always had a problem when fueling up. It takes ages to fill the tank because we have to put the fuel in very slowly or else it bubbles back up and spills everywhere. Is this normal or has anyone else had a similair problem or have any ideas or suggestions as to what could be causing this. maybe it could be the breather? any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers

Scotty

Roughasguts
23-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Didn't this one get covered recently, or one similar.
Anyway your going to have to get a longer fuel filler hose, or drop the nose of the trailer down a lot further to fill the tank.

Or better still have a breather at the front of your tank, I take it that would be the high end, and there is a air lock up there making it very dificuilt for the fuel in the filler hose to push past the bottom end of the tank which will have a higher level or full compared to the front of the tank.

wessel
23-11-2006, 06:13 PM
No idea as to what fuel line setup you have, but I have a similar problem on my boat.

The manufacturer used radiator hose as a breather line. Over time, the thing gunged up causing problems with how quickly you can fill the tank. Trust me when I say it is a disasterous and ardous process to fill a 170 liter tank. Not the kind of job where you can have a cigarette while doing the filling up. ;)

For me to fix this problem will require me to cut out the deck to gain access where the breather line is fixed to the tank.
I know, not a good way to do it, but this was in the early days when this manufacturer first started out producing boats for the international market. Until it blocks up completely I will have to live with it.

Today, their fuel systems consists of a 3 inch diameter filler hose (marine grade / fuel rated) and a 1 inch breather line (also marine grade / fuel rated.) All their fittings, connections and clamps are double up on every connection and everything is 316 stainless steel.

Have you tried to pass a "fishing wire" down the hose to check for blockages? Fishing wire is the wire electricians use when they chase electrical cables through conduits. Do not do this if you have no fuel filters installed before your engines. You have no idea as to what will end up inside of the fuel tank.

I am sure that others may have a more practical approach in checking for potential blockages.

Wessel

DaMaGe
23-11-2006, 09:30 PM
I have a very very different boat but suffer the same fate. Have played around with the breathers etc to no avail. Personaly Caltex fuel goes in better then say Shell fuel. I always think the Shell pumps are using steriods they are crazy and always cause a fountain of petrol spray that goes all over myself and the boat,, nearby people filling up there cars start harassing me that I shouldnt be taking up 2 bowsers to fill up mia boat for so long.

And that is only 130lt, divedved over 2 tanks. My front tank is the worse, I trickle it in, the rear tank is much better.

SgBFish
24-11-2006, 08:54 AM
Had the same probelm with my Quintrex. Mine was a 2003 model.
Went through 3 sender units as well. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Telwater were using a very ordinary unit at the time. When I took it back to the dealer the workshop had a whole line of faulty ones on the shelf. If was a car they would have recalled them! >:(

Also had the the same fuel filler issue. :(
It is due to an airlock in the breahterline. The line falls down to form a loop and fuel get gets trapped in the line if you overfill.

I had them pull the floor (wooden with screws) up and rerun the breahter line. The tip is don't over fill.
I used to turn the guage on and watch the guage as I filled to make sure I didn't over fill. After that I had no probs. ;)

Good luck.
Scott

Ron173
24-11-2006, 09:02 AM
I have found a servo where the pump area is concrete, and the rest is road base, by driving my fourbie forwards until it drops off the concrete onto the roadbase drops front of boat by 2 inches or so, which helps a lot with the breather issue.

I now use a Lowrance EP10 fuel flow management, and know how much fuel to the nearest litre that she will take, and slow up and stop at that literage.

If you can find a similair set up it would help, otherwise your looking at an unhitch and wind down jockey wheel, which is likely to annoy waiting cars more.

I agree the breather at rear is not the best setup for filling, but if they put it forward, when it is emitting fumes for whatever reason, it will be blowing into boat if underway.

Ron

Kerry
24-11-2006, 09:26 PM
No breather is designed to allow for venting when filling! Fuel blow back is generally a badly designed filler pipe with way too many bends or too small a filler to allow proper venting.

Remember the same amount of air basically has to escape for the amount of fuel being pumped in.

Regards, Kerry.