27-11-2006, 07:07 PM
what do you lads do? :)

a_big_red_1
27-11-2006, 07:11 PM
sorry swamped, but what do you mean by .....running it dry? :-/

Daz

Reef_fisher
27-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Ditto, unless you are talking about fuel, but then it wouldn't be flushing. :-/ :-/

Glenn_Woods
27-11-2006, 07:38 PM
Attach the hose to the hose connection on the motor and flush. Then put the muffs on the leg and flush with the motor running for 2-3 minutes and then turn motor off. Not disconnect the fuel before turning the motor off. Works for me.

Woodsy

Chimo
27-11-2006, 07:38 PM
Confused :-/ :-/ [smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=helpa.gif] [smiley=wut.gif]

PinHead
27-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Confused :-/ :-/ [smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=helpa.gif] [smiley=wut.gif]

we know that...hehe

saurian
27-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Use ears , run the motor until all fuel has been used after the
fuel line is detached .Probably gets 10 minutes a motor.
Ta.

Chimo
27-11-2006, 08:03 PM
Greg

I'm not even going to bother replying to that
So there ;)

Chimo

Idletime
27-11-2006, 11:23 PM
I run my old 90hp for a couple of minutes after the thermostats open, then stop the motor using the choke.. ;)

Roughasguts
28-11-2006, 01:08 AM
I run my old 90hp for a couple of minutes after the thermostats open, then stop the motor using the choke.. ;)

How come you stop the motor using the choke ???

PADDLES
28-11-2006, 07:31 AM
hmmmmmm interesting idle ............ do you do that to oil it all up inside? if anything i give mine a bit of a rev with the hand throttle and shut it down at revs so there's a bit less oil in there for starting it up easier next time. never run it out of fuel though.

roydsy
28-11-2006, 11:31 AM
I don't disconnect fuel, I just put on muffs run until thermastat opens then a few minutes past that.

115 merc

finga64
28-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Depends if it's the 2S or 4S.
The 2S's I run til it stops (after the fuel hose is disconnected) to reduce amount of slimy oil crap happening in the fuel bowls and the 4S I leave the fuel connected.

FNQCairns
28-11-2006, 01:26 PM
Me too I choke them to death also, then drain the carbs and the fuel line, or purge the line before then next startup.

cheers fnq

DaMaGe
28-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Run water through muffs for a few minutes past thermo open. Thottle to about 3,500 RPM then instantly cut. I have found this to work better for the next re-start which doesn't smoke the neighbours or the boat ramp.

Maybe different now as I have just removed oil injection system and running pre-mix now, but ain't had it out n about.

swamped
28-11-2006, 03:57 PM
when i flush the motor, i run it with the fuel line in for 5 minutes and then i take the fuel line out and let the fuel run out of it.

that way if my brother and his peskey friends are screwing around in my tinny, they wont accidently flood it

redspeckle
28-11-2006, 05:57 PM
I don't trust ear muffs ( I nearly cooked an outboard doing this way was even water coming out of the tell tail but no water was getting pump up into top heads)
So now I run my outboards in a cut off plastic garbage bin with plenty of water fill up by bucket also in turn don't use as much water with the hose so the bottom of leg is immerses in water cover up pass the gear box ( its much quieter and the neighbor's don't complain ) I let it run for a good ten minutes and never let the petrol run dry in the motor you dry out all the seals in the motor I do this to my 90hp 2stroke and 6hp motor
Mitch

Idletime
28-11-2006, 06:08 PM
That's right Paddles, I was told to do this by a mechanic years ago when I was running a 50hp red band & I've been doing it ever since, never have any prob's starting next time out, no mater how long between trips.. I think the centre fire plugs help & every year or two I hit it with a can of OMC engine tune..

mark221263
28-11-2006, 09:27 PM
I run mine on muffs at a fast idle 1200 rpm for about 5 minutes once the thermostats open up.

I then disconect the fuel line, let the revs drop back to idle at 700rpm and turn off the ignition as soon as you hear the slight change in note when it starts to lean out.

I dont condone letting an outboard run lean till it stops.

This way there is plenty of oil inside as it's been idling for around 10 minutes and the carbies are almost dry so there's not a bowl full of evpourated oil rich mix for the next start.

Definatly starts up easier and cleaner next time

Cheers Mark.

Kerry
28-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Outboards (any) should really not be run on muffs! Unfortuneately there is not another option for some but muffs are not impellor friendly

Outboards (especially 2S's) should not be run out of fuel! Bit of an old wifes tale this one which has apparently been handed down from father to son but does not do an outboard any good what so ever.

Outboards (all) should start there flush at the bottom of the ramp! The longer an outboard can idle after a run the more the internals will like you and the less chance of moisture build up.

Outboards should not be revved out (even a little) during flushing! The outboard needs the oil more than being blown out the exhaust.

One does these or one does not and it's all been discussed before so end of discussion.

Regards, Kerry.

aussiefool
29-11-2006, 05:51 AM
run mine till it's dry (2s) easy to start next time as I have found with my motor if I just flush and leave fuel line attached had to start and lots of smoke next time