PDA

View Full Version : Inboard Discussion - Types of Repower

Reef_Ranger
28-11-2006, 04:15 PM
I have been having a few thought lately on restoring an older hull (ie Haines/Savage?Caribean) with a traditional Mercruiser 165,470,488 type engines. ie 165-190 hp four cylinders.

To rebuild these engines properly will set you back about 4K plus and you still have an old engine.

Is there an option to repower these older motors with some of the newer 4 cyl diesels that are availble?

Some examples:
155hp - Patrol/Navara is a 3.0ltr diesel developing 155hp (116kw) @ 3600 and 354NM @ 2000 rpm
157hp - Pajero 3.2ltr
160hp - 3.0 Hilux

Whats involved in marinising a diesel?
Surely a mercruser type heat exchanger would handle the water cooling requirments.
A surely a water to air intercooler would be able to be used rather than the standard air to air.
Computers and salt water might be fun ;)
How does the weight compare? No idea

Advantages
Great low down torque. If you could prop it so that 2000rpm was about 18knots would be great.
Great fuel economy
Great range
Excellent spare parts avilability
Inheritantly safer than petrol inboard

Disadvantages
Sourcing exhaust manifold water jacket and other marinising components
Reduced resale of boat - ie. modification to original

The engines I have listed come up regularly (exception of the hilux) from either wrecks or mechanical rebuild for anywhere from $1000 for a rebuilder to $6000 complete with loom and the works.

Am I completely off track or is this a possibility?????? :-?

Looking forward to your opinions.

Sam

PinHead
28-11-2006, 04:48 PM
I have been having a few thought lately on restoring an older hull (ie Haines/Savage?Caribean) with a traditional Mercruiser 165,470,488 type engines. # ie 165-190 hp four cylinders.

To rebuild these engines properly will set you back about 4K plus and you still have an old engine.

Is there an option to repower these older motors with some of the newer 4 cyl diesels that are availble?

Some examples:
155hp - Patrol/Navara is a 3.0ltr diesel developing 155hp (116kw) @ 3600 and 354NM @ 2000 rpm
157hp - Pajero 3.2ltr
160hp - 3.0 Hilux

Whats involved in marinising a diesel?
Surely a mercruser type heat exchanger would handle the water cooling requirments.
A surely a water to air intercooler would be able to be used rather than the standard air to air.
Computers and salt water might be fun ;)
How does the weight compare? #No idea

Advantages
Great low down torque. #If you could prop it so that 2000rpm was about 18knots would be great.
Great fuel economy
Great range
Excellent spare parts avilability
Inheritantly safer than petrol inboard Don't be so sure of that one...lots of boat fires have been from turbo diesels where the turbo has not bee run down to cool prior to shutting down the motor
Disadvantages
Sourcing exhaust manifold water jacket and other marinising components
Reduced resale of boat - ie. modification to original

The engines I have listed come up regularly (exception of the hilux) from either wrecks or mechanical rebuild for anywhere from $1000 for a rebuilder to $6000 complete with loom and the works.

Am I completely off track or is this a possibility?????? :-?

Looking forward to your opinions.

Sam

mercruiser and volvo both make a marinised diesel..so does Yanmar..Nanni and probably others..but they are not cheap.

Chimo
28-11-2006, 04:51 PM
Hi Sam

You forgot to consider warranty. :-[

After you have done all the mucking around and have a diesel you are totally on your own.

That may not be a bad thing if you have the workshop and gear and expertise and time but may not be otherwise.

How about another option that drops straight in and in the end will probably cost about the same and have a warranty like this one? There are heaps of others to do some costing before you start.

www.marinediesel.nu Web site is strange :-[ ?
Marine Diesel Australia1/ 47 Laguna Pl Port Macquarie 2444 0404 832 154

Cheers

Chimo

gilbo
28-11-2006, 08:36 PM
Oh if only the rebuild of my 470s came as cheaply as 4K each. closer to 8000 but then I wouldn't recommend anyone go to the blokes I used. I was originally quoted between 3 and 5K per engine when asked about the rebuilds. It is amazing how quickly the price can jump up with the old saying ("well you want to do it right") once they have your boat in thier shed.

If you go down the rebuild option then make sure you have everything in writing before they start the job and a firm quote. If I had my time over again I would be seriously looking at the exchange program Mercruiser has on their old engines. 9 months down the track and I am still going with mine, though happy to say I am now finally getting some use out of the boat.

Cheers and good luck

Shane

Kerry
28-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Rebuilds? Sterndrives? Ever thought of throwing them out all together?

Probably cheaper in the long term?

Regards, Kerry.

BaysideMarine
28-11-2006, 10:07 PM
A rebuild kit from the US for a 470 series MerCruiser including some local items reqwuired also will cost you about $900 plus your own labour

ozlongboarder
28-11-2006, 10:49 PM
Anything is possible with enough time and money but I don't know if its worth it when you seriously add up the costs. I think it would require some SERIOUS research into what motors will work.

I just re-powered my Bertram 25 with a 5.7l Volvo and XDP composite drive unit. The only extra cost was for a new hydraulic steering ram ($400)as the old one was not compatible everything else was straight up as per the quote.

I have to tell you, its magic getting in the boat, turning the key and hearing the motor kick instantly and knowing that there is 3 years factory warranty.

Roughasguts
28-11-2006, 11:10 PM
What ever happened to mid mount shaft drive boats with a keel.
No more problems with legs, and trim units, and Manifold cooling problems. The transoms never leaked or rotted. And you could hold a course at 4 knots with a cross wind.

Seems it all just went back wards.

Kerry
29-11-2006, 09:58 AM
Back when sterdrives were the go things were very different and there was a big gap between shafts and outboards but today in that small boat 20-26 (now out to even 40 feet) sterndrives have really been squeezed sideways.

Roughasguts, Shafts/keels are good in the right length boat as long as you don't expect to trailer it and this is where sterndrives are basically put up with for the convenience of trailering but then with the big 4S outboards today even with what they cost still leaves one well in front of sterndrive costs and diesel servicing etc.

Regards, Kerry.

Roughasguts
29-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Kerry, yeah I guess your right, me old mans 21 footer is a mid mount shaft drive. And she sits 10 foot from trailer, to top of wind sheild.

Her draw backs are no seating between the engine box and helm, (no room) and the fumes in the cabin, make you pretty bloody sick unless you let it breath for a while before getting in there.

Other than that what a boat.

Big_Kev
29-11-2006, 11:38 AM
The best way new would be a complete power pack. Be it in the shape of a sterndrive unit or an outboard. Very expensive option but.
Messing around with a light truck engine trying to adapt would be a nightmare unless someone makes a kit to do the conversion.
I would think that there will be many different changes between a diesel engine designed for the application of marine as to light comercial, this can pop out of the bag and cost you more and more to get right.
I think Gilbo advice may be the cheapest option unless you can overhaul the old sterndrive unit yourself being able to control the cost.

23-sharkcat
29-11-2006, 02:18 PM
I dont think that $19500 for a brand new 260hp petrol V8, alpha 2 leg, prop and gauges is that expensive.

What does a 250hp 4 stroke go for????

ozlongboarder
29-11-2006, 02:43 PM
I dont think that $19500 for a brand new 260hp petrol V8, alpha 2 leg, prop and gauges is that expensive.

What does a 250hp 4 stroke go for????

I was quoted $26k for Verado 275. Plus the cost of a pod and fitting it all. The upside is the motor is tilted out of the water, but how do you flush an outboard when it is sitting on a mooring?

My old motors were 18 years old, motors were in good shape but the legs and transom units were toast. My new motor has Neutrasalt system and a freshewater flush hook up. Tie it up at the jetty, plug the hose in to the side of the motor let it idle away for 15 mins while I pack up the boat and finish it off with the neutrasalt.

I should have consumption figures after the fist service, the mechanic plugs his palm pilot thingy into the wiring and gets all the info on the motor.