PDA

View Full Version : how to clean out fuel tank?

Adamy
01-12-2006, 08:50 PM
I guess the title about sums it up... How do people clean out their fuel tanks to get all that flaky stuff and other sediment out of the bottom?

I pulled all the fuel out of mine today - 50lt plastic one - and was surprised at the amount of little cruddy bits in there - got out as much as I could but still lots of lil bits left - so what do I do to get rid of them??

Thanks,

Adam

Roughasguts
01-12-2006, 10:52 PM
Couple of hand fulls of clean gravel, wash it first.
Stick it in your tank with 1 litre of hot water and start swishing it around.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
01-12-2006, 11:21 PM
Use the motor so the fuel doesn't sit in storage.

Dave

aussiefool
02-12-2006, 04:27 AM
Mate what I do for both of the tanks I have use of #(1 20 lt ans 60lt.) is to use as much as I can with out running dry. Then I tip as much out into a large 20 lt white bucket as I can.. you know the ones that every boby uses for fishing. then get a second one and steal a pair of the wife's pantyhose's and strech over the top.Pour from one bucket into the other and repeat if needed.the finer the stockings the better. Hope that makes sence to you
Aussiefool
Andrew

ps. if you tip the fuel into a bucket first you will be able to see if you have any water in the fuel aswell. If you have water in the tank then while it is empty then pour some metho into tank and swich around and tip along the fench line... great for killing weeds

finga64
02-12-2006, 05:44 AM
Come and see me and say gidday, have a cup of coffee and we can clean it quick-lickity split #;)
Are you in much of a hurry to get it cleaned Adam as the cook is going down that way and she may be able to pick it up and bring it home it could be cleaned. I'd have to ask her though but she's still asleep ATM.
The gravel trick is a beauty if you want them real spiffy and clean (works for the overflow radiator tanks in cars as well).
A little bit of compressed air gets all the dusty left over bits out after the tank is dry.