PDA

View Full Version : bit of an accident

fieldy
04-12-2006, 05:29 PM
Had a little bit of a mishap on the weekend
Anyone got any ideas of the best way to get it fixed,and or best place to take it too

crazboutfishin
04-12-2006, 05:36 PM
That happened to us, well not that bad, hahaha. But we just took it to Cunninghams and they just grinded it off and welded a new one one. bogged and sanded all the welds and painted it, couldnt tell the difference if yout tried. Been good ever since.

Cheers
Crazy

CHRIS_aka_GWH
04-12-2006, 05:37 PM
i've got no idea fieldy

but did it happen at speed in the water and what does that feel like ?

Fishin_Dan
04-12-2006, 05:52 PM
i've got no idea fieldy

but did it happen at speed in the water and what does that feel like ?

Looks like it was initially at speed, and then very quickly not so speedy! ;D ;D ;D

That sort of accident could also happen by tilting the boat up on the trailer with the motor lowered down.... (eg onto concrete driveway, etc)

BigE
04-12-2006, 05:52 PM
is that the new mercury SHARK FIN skeg?

E

DaMaGe
04-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Happen in or out of the water?

finga64
04-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Oops :-X
Where's Pete or Gary??
They'd know for sure where's a good place for repair.

foggy
04-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Thats what happens when you fall asleep behind the wheel.

Go and see Rod at Ark Marine.

Foggy

blaze
04-12-2006, 06:53 PM
any good ali welder SHOULD be able to put a newy on for you, drain the oil first and leave out the bungs to allow for expansion inside the box (dont want to blow the seals out), if done a bit a a time allowing for cooling down and also a dab with a wet rag on the box itself to help keep the heat away.
cheers
blaze

Spaniard_King
04-12-2006, 07:33 PM
repairs are as easy as the guys have stated above BUT :o It will never be as strong as the original skeg :'(

So you have to ask yourself if you want to put up with the damage (most likely no effect on performance) just leaves your prop open to a bit more damage :-X If you get it repaired and it breaks again it will be weaker again. Every time ally is welded it becomes softer and softer with each weld.

My advice, leave it till ya gunna sell it ;)

Garry

CHRIS_aka_GWH
04-12-2006, 08:10 PM
bit like having your astra driven by the holden dealer team ....

:'(

its never the same after !

(is that acceptable - i didn't think the whole hells angels and missus line would be ... )

:-X

plat-a-puss
04-12-2006, 08:11 PM
have seen ths same damage on a 140 suzuki but prop was rats--t also we took it to gs marine in darwin cause we were up there chasing barra they had us going in 1 day good as new . leave gearbox in the housing and the oil it help absorb the heat and by leaving the g/box in there it helps keep everything inplace,eg the gearbox seal housing , if u remove the gbox the heat can cause the housing to warp ps make sure who ever does the job that they use a tig welder not a mig,they also have to burn the oil out of the ali cause the ali is porous

Mr__Bean
04-12-2006, 08:45 PM
First of all, do you have boat insurance cover?

If yes, then I would pay the excess and get a new gearbox housing fitted at a Merc dealer.

If not then have it weld repaired, these are done all the time.

- Darren

canman
04-12-2006, 08:53 PM
Short but blunt. Buy a new one dude.

Reef_fisher
04-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Got to agree with canman, get a newbie.

BilgeBoy
04-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Hows the prop.....did it take a hit!!

Man that's gotta hurt but!!! I hate any damage to my boat!!

Big_Kev
05-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Accidental damage?
Insureance claim may be an easy fix.

BrandonH
05-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Why buy a new one?? i doubt there is much other damage with the motor, the prop even looks ok :-/ #

Did you drive it home if it happened on the water?? should tell you if there is something else wrong with it.

I would take Spaniard_King's advice mate.. even if he is giving advice on something other than a Honda ::) #;D ;D ;D

Cheers
Brandon...