PDA

View Full Version : can you lift your boards

CHRIS_aka_GWH
04-12-2006, 08:20 PM
when replacing the core on my johnno bait pump which was hidden deep inside the pod of my stacer - i had to lift the floor boards on the rear deck - most of the stainless screws came out OK except one that was stuck and ended up getting bored out - no slot - I ended up having to drill out the head - pry up the board then vice grip the screw out of its hole where it had electrolysised itself in place.

I got to thinking - could i get to the fuel tank if needed - under the mid deck - say if i had a line leakage or similar.

Same thing - most screws can out - three stuck fast - stainless screw sraight into aluminium. I don't have the time to completely remedy it now so i've used lanolin grease for the xmas break and in January i'll install nylon inserts for the screws but have you ever investigated ...

in an emergency - can you lift your deck to get to the important bits ?

chris

Ally_Jack
04-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Just finished building the new floors and casting decks in my boat and I spent some time thinking of this problem...how much access do I need to the new underfloor fuel tank.
I was thinking of cutting the main floor into 3 pieces, 1 piece that covered just the tank for easy access.
In the end, I went with the 2 piece floor, split down the middle. Still easy to remove, but don't want to do it every week

As for your stainless screws binding, I put all of my screws in with Silver Goop. It's a product we use at work for fitting stainless machine parts together that we want to come apart some day. I've been using it for about a year in the boat, and undoing screws no worries..

Deiter
04-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Hey Ally Jack, is the 'goop' you described a never-seize compound?

If it is, you gotta watch watch what metal is used in the compound - they can accellerate electrolysis if wet, being dissimilar metals and all.

Damo

finga64
05-12-2006, 07:41 AM
Hey Ally Jack, is the 'goop' you described a never-seize compound?

If it is, you gotta watch watch what metal is used in the compound - they can accellerate electrolysis if wet, being dissimilar metals and all.

Damo
A lot of the never seize stuff is nickle based. Great for stainless and high temperatures. Some not so flash on aluminium in salt. :-X
I use the Loctite never seize on the outboards and it is suitable for aluminium.
Nothing wrong with the lanolin either. I use that on my boat and screws come out OK after a few years no worries.

Luckily your going to have some time on your hands pretty soon hey Chris #;D

FNQCairns
05-12-2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks Chris for the heads up, I will now include those nylon inserts in my fitout, good prevention for a boat long kept.

cheers fnq

Fisher_Boats
05-12-2006, 08:40 AM
Chris...use duralac..seems to be the best ...it dries hard.
Good idea is to take out all stainless bolts or screws every now and then and apply duralac and put them back in. Alloy boats need maintaining in this area to save hastles down the track

Cheers Col

Ally_Jack
05-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Deiter,

It's made by Swagelok and its a oil based thread lubricant. Swagelok make stainless compression fittings for s/s tube.

Nickel anti seize is not good for stainless threads either, the nickel helps bind the threads. We use it by the box at work on steel parts, no worries, but keep it well away from the stainless

finga64
05-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Deiter,

It's made by Swagelok and its a oil based thread lubricant. Swagelok make stainless compression fittings for s/s tube.

Nickel anti seize is not good for stainless threads either, the nickel helps bind the threads. We use it by the box at work on steel parts, no worries, but keep it well away from the stainless

Excellent. I've learnt something new today... ;D
i can sleep peacefully tonight
Thanks Ally Jack :)

CHRIS_aka_GWH
05-12-2006, 08:22 PM
[quote author=Deiter link=1165227605/0#2 date=1165237387]

Luckily your going to have some time on your hands pretty soon hey Chris #;D

counting the sleeps scott, counting the sleeps.

Loctite, duralac, Swagelok Silver Goop or nylon inserts - christ i wish I wasn't inquisitive !

I just want my 12 footer back ...... #[smiley=cry.gif]

Maybe if i just bathe the deck in blood filled with Omega 3 oils !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yamp
05-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Interesting information,I m at the moment looking at improving the way I have fixed things to my 4m hornet trophy,ram brackets,rod holders etc and was interested in nylon type plugs to screw stainless screws to aluminium,has anyone used them yet?where can you get them?also has anyone had much experience with duralac I thought I would not be that effective with electroylisis as it would just squash out when the screws go in,I used lanolin grease when I put fixtures in boat and thought the squashing out effect would be the same,I'm probably just anal about the boat but any comments appreciated cheers yamp