PDA

View Full Version : Might Vs Right Vs Keeping Lookout at Night

Chimo
06-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Hi All you Budding Survivalists

This is not all that new but its probably topical with the discussion about being seen and surviving in small boats at night in spite of ships, fishing trawlers etc

Enjoy it more with a person on watch! ;)

Cheers

Chimo

This is the transcript of the ACTUAL radio conversation of a US naval ship with Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland.
Canadians: "Please divert your course 15 degrees the South to avoid a collision."

Americans: "Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees the North to avoid a collision."

Canadians: "Negative. You will have to divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision."

Americans: "This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course."

Canadians: "No. I say again, you divert YOUR course."

Americans: "THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN, THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH, I SAY AGAIN, THAT'S ONE FIVE DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTER-MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP."

Canadians: "This is a lighthouse. Your call."

Deiter
06-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Now where have i seen that b4??? ;D ;D ;D ;D

True or not, I always get a giggle

Damo

DaMaGe
06-12-2006, 12:37 PM
I heard it was fake, and then I heard there is a video off this actual event. USA denies it, and Canadians laugh it up.

griz066
06-12-2006, 01:20 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

lippa
06-12-2006, 02:00 PM
i've seen the e-mail. bloody funny. its an advert for a company, cracks me up every time i see it but!!!!!!!!

cheers

lippa

Kerry
06-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Now where have i seen that b4??? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ah you mean the same one about 3 days ago in the Radar thread ??????? #:-X

finga64
06-12-2006, 04:14 PM
still funny though ;D

Chimo
06-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Re positive comments. ;) contributed;

thanks but

sorry didn't see the previous posting of the conversation USN and CDN lighthouse

:) Rite of reply covered fairly well as per

http://www.gashbag.com/officersreports.htm

Cheers

Chimo

seatime
06-12-2006, 06:06 PM
It's been doing the rounds in one form or another for a long time. I first heard a version before the USS Lincoln was ever commisioned.

Did hear originally it happened in the 20's or 30's, and only hearsay evidence to support the story, though that could be another story too.

Put it down to a clever urban myth that has a deserved dig at someones superiority complex.

bay_firey
06-12-2006, 06:30 PM
I am guessing that this is the video that is being refered to

ag8IvpXf-5M

Chimo
06-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Hi Bay Firey

Glad I'm here and not in the Vic NE or Gippsland with all that on there at the moment!

No, It wasn't the the site but what you put up was very good tho.

The link indicated just had some good descriptors that could be applied as deemed appropriate.

Cheers

Chimo, AM but out of it now and not unhappy about it either. ;)