PDA

View Full Version : Boat Trailer Suspension Rebuild

dorado
05-12-2006, 11:57 PM
I've got a Savage Osprey 525 sitting on a redco sportsman single axle trailer with an ATM of 1500kgs and the entire suspension is totally rusted to bits. As it was it couldn't be towed aywhere to carry out repairs so I now gotta replace the entire axle, hubs/rotors, bearings, springs, u bolts, fishplates, axle seats, nuts and washers etc etc, in my front yard. The only thing I don't need to replace are the brake callipers as they're made of alloy. This will be my second trailer rebuild and I really don't want to have to do it a third time so I'm thinking of spending a little extra to at least get everything, bar the bearings, galvanised or made out of bronze/alloy or coated like as in anodized steel such as for the hubs/rotors.

So far I've jacked the boat up (yes it's still on the trailer!) and I've got the entire rig on four x 1200kg safety stands and I've managed to remove the entire assembly out from underneath the trailer. The axle is mated to a pair of 5 leaf slipper springs (710's) with 10" HT hubs/rotors.

I live on the Northside of Brisbane and I've gotten 1 quote already from a components manufacturer to replace the lot, all in galv except for the hubs/discs in an anodised coating, for around $650 + gst. I'm not sure if this is reasonable or if I'm getting ripped off but I'd like to get a second quote so I'm enquiring if anybody knows of any places on the northside that manufacture/sell quality boat trailer components?

If anybody has undertaken a similar task I'd like to hear from you please :)

Cheers,

Dorado

finga64
06-12-2006, 05:57 AM
Go for a drive down south to Active Fabrications at Beenleigh.
I don't know if they do the galv. axles yet but I have a funny feeling they do.
ph. 3807 6666
Be worth the call just for a price or to have a yarn.
Let us know how you get on as well eh ;)
:)

griz066
06-12-2006, 06:49 AM
Have a look here click on the links on the left got all the prices all you need to add is courier. May work out cheaper for you and may not but either way it will give you an idea.

http://www.trailerrepaircentre.com/cart/

dorado
06-12-2006, 10:46 PM
finga, griz066 thanks very much for your responses. Really appreciate the advice and I'll be sure to check out those sources.

cheers,

Dorado

PADDLES
07-12-2006, 09:24 AM
another place to google up is titan brakes, they're down the southside but there stuff is locally made and looks the goods. ;D