PDA

View Full Version : Check your rego sticker!!

first_mate
06-12-2006, 12:16 PM
On Tuesday, my son decided to brave the wind, and took my boat from Horizon Shores down to Wave Break and have a swim and snorkel.

Just off Sovereign Island he was pulled over by the Water Police who discovered our rego sticker was missing from the boat. :o

Their on-line check confirmed the boat is registered until May 07, but they still felt it necessary to write out a caution (in my son's name not mine) for failing to properly display the registration. :-X

I have since contacted Queensland Transport to obtain a new sticker.

Despite recent regular use, and washing down, I have not actually noticed the sticker missing before.

Please take this as a heads up to check your own rego stickers so that you don't incur the wrath of the Water police.

Safe summer boating,
Angus

Deiter
06-12-2006, 12:29 PM
Cheers Angus, good advice. I prefer to donate as little as i can to the blue christmas party. ;D

Damo

Richard
06-12-2006, 12:30 PM
Yeah there has been a BIG problem with the blue rego stickers apparently. Boating and Fisheries Patrol are aware of it in most areas I think. The glue on it is hopeless and they come off really easily.

I lost two of them before fixing it once and for all. I now have mine in one of those trailer rego holders (clear plastic) which carries the sticker and that is then zip tied to one of the railings so it can't come off.

The first replacement one I ordered came off within an hour of me putting it on and I had the surface prepared perfectly.

Richard

RayB
06-12-2006, 12:34 PM
I also lost my sticker and made sure I cleaned the surface of the tinnie with alcohol before fixing label for the second time. The sticker has stayed on this time but maybe they just fixed the glue issue.

I bit rude to write a warning if the problem is with the glue on the label.

cheers
Ray

DaMaGe
06-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the heads up, good to see the Water Police are policing the waterways.

I failed to place my new sticker on my boat several months ago and was about to take it for a trip when I noticed the old sticker was on the boat and it was out of date, couldn't find the new label that I had on my desk at all and went down to QLD transport whom gave me a new label for free. I thought they would have charged me for the sticker but they diddn't, the only pain was I had to wait for it in the mail, any hows I did not go out, it was a great weekend, and ever since the weather has been crap.

griz066
06-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Lucky it was only a caution eh not a fine 8-)

finga64
06-12-2006, 04:20 PM
I've had to order two in the last week.
You can do it online as well fellas.
https://www.service.transport.qld.gov.au/replacementcertificateQt/ReplCertificate.jsp

gitto
06-12-2006, 06:42 PM
our much they hit ya for new sticker

idiotfisher
06-12-2006, 06:56 PM
Good idea richard ,ill be doing that on my new rego i have but havent put on the boat yet.

marshy
06-12-2006, 06:56 PM
I've also had 2 come off, you can just phone QLD transport & they will send them out in the mail, The only painfull part is going through all the phone prompt rigmorole to get to speak to a real person. Haven't met the boys in blue while the sticker was missing luckily.

Marshy :)

first_mate
06-12-2006, 06:58 PM
our much they hit ya for new sticker

I requested the new sticker on line (see Finga's response for the web address) and it cost me nothing so I got out of the whoe incident quite lightly thankfully.

Richard's suggestion is great. I will do that when the new sticker arrives.

Cheers,
Angus

Reef_fisher
06-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Sticker goes into plastic folder and bolted to centre console, same process for trailer bolted to mud guard. Box trailer too. 8-) 8-)

Don't like supporting the blue christmas appeal or the fisheries fund.
Fisheries get a surprised look on their faces when they realise they can't do me for anything and that I exceed the requirements with regard to safety equip. Not many others up here are so lucky. ;)

timddo
06-12-2006, 10:41 PM
You can order your replacement stickers online. simple and quick.

cheers

bootyinblue
07-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Well, have to stick up for the 'boys in blue' here!

They are out and about policing the waterways, and checking that all boat owners/drivers are adhering to the Acts and Regulations.

The warning was written out in your sons name as he was 'in charge' of the vessel at the time, works same way as someone driving a motor vehicle that is not the owner.

Bottom line, the boat was not displaying a current registration label, was on the water, Police were on the water doing their job, boat was intercepted, advice was given, warning notice issued.

Could have been worse.... could have cost you $$$

Also for those people who are attaching registration labels to centre consoles and the like

"A label will be issued which must be placed on the exterior of the ship in a conspicuous place above the waterline."

Richard
07-12-2006, 09:36 PM
Technically it has to be placed along side your rego numbers as well - I have my rego label on the back of the boat (facing backwards, wich is not correct) but technically if you have your numbers on the side of your boat they must be placed on the side, and on the port side too..
for really big boats, if the numbers are on the transom - they have to be placed there alongside the lettering.

What bootyinblue quoted was from the MSQ website, but i think on the actual rego label page you get in the mail, it has different wording (sort of what i've said above). Only know because i checked it out with boating patrol at the time.

Anyone got one of the pages handy ? the one the actual sticker is stuck to when you get it in the mail.

Richard

bootyinblue
07-12-2006, 09:50 PM
Yep... All is correct there. Conspicuos (however you spell it), above the waterline, adjacent (this can be interpreted as loosly as you like) and on Port side or rear (mostly yachts) dependant on display of registration numbers.

no_name
07-12-2006, 11:24 PM
i was told by DPI to put sticker THERE 'WHICH I DID' 3 DAYS LATER GGOOONNNNEEEEEE 5 days after the fact SAME LADS BACK got chewed for no STICKER.

'BRING ON KARMA'

Glenn_Woods
08-12-2006, 05:34 AM
Wow. And i blamed the kids. I lost mine and it was only new. Told the missus and she got onto the transport department and she got the same story, that there is a problem with adhesive.

Woodsy

BillB
08-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Hi everyone,
What never ceases to amaze me is this 'faulty glue' excuse seems to come up time and time again over the years. How many years have rego stickers been made? You would think any problems that did exist would be well and truley sorted out by now. I am fed up with copping the end result of the faulty glue and not the manufacturer. What are we supposed to do, drive with our head over the gunnel checking that the sticker is still there.
Enough of my beefing.
Cheers,
BillB

finga64
08-12-2006, 10:26 AM
It's not just a matter of them staying on.
You also have to take them off without ripping the paint off with them.
There's a pretty fine line between the two I'd say #;)
Mind you the orange ones were pretty good but these blue ones are a pain in the butt.
My average is a trip per sticker so I order one as soon as I get home so there's no waiting for the new one to arrive.

Stuie
22-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Lost my sticker on the last trip out. I had it stuck on the port side window as I don't want it on the paint near rego numbers. Why can't the stickers be like a car rego and have the sticky side as the colour side so they can be stuck inside the glass. This would have to be better then having them out in the wind, rain and salt water. Will have to order some new ones.

russ81
22-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Hows it going guys

Lost my sticker on the last trip out. I had it stuck on the
port side window as I don't want it on the paint near rego numbers. Why can't the stickers be like a car rego and have the sticky side as the colour side so they can be stuck inside the glass. This would have to be better then having them out in the wind, rain and salt water. Will have to order some new ones.

The only prob with having the sticky stuff like the cars is a lot of boats don't have windows be a bit hard to see the details on a tinny:laugh: .
Not having a dig but i could imagine the confused looks on the policeman's face as he trys to figure out how to read the sticker.
Cheers
Russ

bushbeachboy
22-05-2007, 08:16 PM
I've found the fisheries blokes from Townsville to be great. With the Polycraft, almost nothing sticks to it, at least not for long. The times I've been stopped I've had rego label missing and some of the rego numbers have fallen off. No worries. They seem to know about it and just told me to get it fixed, which I did. If you don't get a fine, don't be a whinger. Even if you do get a fine, tough luck, everybody knows the rule. As usual, some of you blokes like to shoot the messenger. If they weren't out there doing their job our waterways would be a hell of a lot worse.>:(

Foxy4
22-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Well, have to stick up for the 'boys in blue' here!

They are out and about policing the waterways, and checking that all boat owners/drivers are adhering to the Acts and Regulations.

Also for those people who are attaching registration labels to centre consoles and the like

"A label will be issued which must be placed on the exterior of the ship in a conspicuous place above the waterline."

Now I will have to re think where I try to attach my new label on my Centre Console. I put it on the C/C last time after the other one fell off the side. Same glue problem.

copie
22-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Well unfortunatly i have to agree with bootyinblue BUT. About one year ago i was aproached because my label was not visable, it was on the dash as i had lost several before and did explain that at the time. I was infomed i needed to order another and attach it to the outside on the port side, so i did so and have almost lost count of how many replacements have have ordered. I now attach it to my side screen and have cut narrow neat strips of 100mile an hour tape and taped the edges, if i notice the tape lifting i just renew the tape. Works a treat.

STUIE63
23-05-2007, 08:15 AM
I was checked by the fishos on the weekend and recieved a warning for no rego sticker this is the second one to fall off the boat in four months. They advised me I could put it on the port side of my centre console they reckon it will stay there.
Stuie

Camo
23-05-2007, 09:42 AM
I've lost two as well. Just ordered new ones on line and it cost me nothing. There must be thousands of these things floating around Queensland waterways.

Camo

chainsaw
23-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Agree STUIE63, Stuck mine on the port side of the side console (and its still there) I think. My boat when I picked it up from Motor Marine had rego QQ301Q on the boat sides, when I got the Rego papers and sticker it was for QT115Q ?????????? However quick visit to Qld Tpt got it sorted out. Now the trailer, still waiting for rego papers and sticker, Turns out that someone in Innisfail registered his trailer before mine and both have the same VIN details, be interesting if I get pulled up for no rego label on the trailer. Tried the online link that is posted here, put in the No plate details 362QNG fixed to the trailer and will not accept it. Cant rush these things the wheel turns slowly in the North.