PDA

View Full Version : Variable Dead Rise / Millenium Hull

whichway
08-12-2006, 07:44 AM
Hi

What is the difference between the variable dead rise and millenium hulls.

Are they both patented because wouldn't that be patenting the same thing. If they are patented separately, does that mean that you can copy the original and still patent the copy. In which case, why doesn't every one build hulls like this (at least in fibreglass and pressed metal) and take out their own patents. If there is no patent still in force (and the VDRH has been around for over 21 years these days), then same question - why doesn't everyone build boats with this hull shape.

Don't want to stir up a hornet's nest ::), just interested in hull design

Whichway

Blackened
08-12-2006, 09:57 AM
G'day
From my understanding, the melinnium hull is a quintrex branding for their particular style of hull, and haines has the VDRH for their style, It's just a name.

As far as patents go, I have no idea but from what i can see..... you could say I'd like to patent a mono hull of x length, x width and x deadrise.... but that wouldnt be viable. Each builder goes on slightly different tangents to create what they believe to be the best designs for their intended purpose, and with different visions comes different end product.

Hope that makes sense

Dave

Noelm
08-12-2006, 10:54 AM
yeah not too sure you could patent variable dead rise but you may be able to something about the wording millenium or something.

cbs
08-12-2006, 11:05 AM
There's a little thing called "prior art" which precludes people taking out patents on things that have been done before, or could reasonably be considered common sense to a normal person.

not that I'm a patent lawyer.