PDA

View Full Version : Best Bass canoe?

roydsy
04-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Hi there bassmasters,

Okay, I have the full boar 5.5M for accessible dams and the river but now I am looking for a good bass canoe to escape the stress of congested boat ramps. :P

I am after stability and comfort for my lazy backside and to fish 2 x 100KG guys with ease in and around Hinze and Clarie hall.

Anyone got any rigs or recommendations? Price is not the deciding factor, quality, design 1st!

I have googled up these for starters, are they any good?

Roscoe Bass Catcher Fiberglass Canoes
http://www.roscocanoes.com.au/CANOES/Fishing%20Canoes-225.aspx

I used to own a Coleman Ram-X and found it to be unstable and the plastic went out of shape after a couple of years. Thumbs down on that one. Most likely will strap an electric on the back so something robust with engine mount. Ideally my old man may want to chuck it on the car and tour Australia (retirement, I am so envious) so must not be ridiculously heavy!

Any recommendations?

cheers
Roydsy

The_Walrus
04-12-2006, 06:48 PM
I'd go for the Rosco Bass Catcher Xstream. You'll appreciate the bigger size and your engine (electric or petrol) simply bolt to the transom.

I've fished out of the Estuary model and this one had a bowmount fitted. It's the best way to mount an electric on a canoe

Have been using Rosco canoes for 30+ year and can't fault them.

Luc

roydsy
04-12-2006, 08:25 PM
Thanks Luc, could you tell me what size electric they can take or you have used. I am thinking my spare 24V 82lb will send it airborne but it is also a bowmount so probably no good hey?

Roydsy

roydsy
06-12-2006, 09:34 AM
Any other recommended bass canoe rigs?

I plan on taking a look at the roscoes this weekend, but would like to see what else is out there also.

The_Walrus
06-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Roydsy,

From memory the estuary model was powered by a 55lbs riptide bowmount.

I have used a 42lbs riptide transom mount on my sixteen foot roscoe without any problems. #I made an extension lead so I could put the battery in a better position to balance the canoe.

An 82lbs/24volt bowmount would certainly give you plenty of power. #I'm sure the Xstream would take the weight but you would have to make an adaptor to fit the bowmount. Speak to Ross Cook at Roscoe Canoe about making one.

Given the square transom, a transom mount is the easiest option.

Luc

Canoedle
06-12-2006, 11:46 AM
What about a Kayak? :D
Viking Tempo has provision for a lekky, very stable, huge weight capacity, heaps of storage and room to mount rod holders etc, real beast. 8-)

roydsy
06-12-2006, 11:58 AM
What about a Kayak? :D
Viking Tempo has provision for a lekky, very stable, huge weight capacity, heaps of storage and room to mount rod holders etc, real beast. 8-)

Thanks for the tip, I will see if I can find some to look at around the Gold Coast or Brisbane.

Not sure if my old man will go for it, he is pretty keen on the stability of an outrigger on the roscoe canoes. But, the lighter weight of yak may appeal to him.

cheers
Roydsy

roydsy
06-12-2006, 12:00 PM
Roydsy,

.......................... An 82lbs/24volt bowmount would certainly give you plenty of power. I'm sure the Xstream would take the weight but you would have to make an adaptor to fit the bowmount. Speak to Ross Cook at Roscoe Canoe about making one.

Given the square transom, a transom mount is the easiest option. Luc

Thanks Mate, i will have a chat about it. i am having trouble finding a buyer my new 82lb motorguide so it would be great if we could strap the sucker on.

stinky
06-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Went out in these the about a month ago catching huge flatty and went way up the creek, can travel quiet quick with the 3hp on the back, seats two people very comfy swivel seats very stable, I stood and cast softies at flaties all day, just thought they would be a must for you to look at. #as they do not need outriggers. # I ended up enjoying the trip so much I took the missus up the creek in them to for the full day to look at the coral in the creek, we both jumped out over the side to snorkel then asked Damian how we were supposed to get back in, he said just jump in over the side...
we both did and the only water in the botom of the boats was just from what was dripping off us...

Check them out at www.1770tours.com

roydsy
07-12-2006, 08:37 AM
Stinky, are they roscoe basscatchers? or what is the brand of canoe?

cheers

Roo
07-12-2006, 08:53 AM
hey stinky,
do you know what make of canoe they are?? They look the goods. ;)

Cheers, roo.

shayned
07-12-2006, 08:54 AM
I've known Ross for a few years now and can recommend his product. He builds here in Brisbane and is committed (maybe that should read he needs to be committed to an institution :D), to producing a quality product. In fact most of his time is put in at the factory shoulder to shoulder with his staff making the yaks and canoes. The bloke's a straight shooter and only employs like minded people, you'll find them good to deal with. But for god's sake don't tell him I said this about him, I'll never live it down. ;D

stinky
07-12-2006, 11:18 AM
No not a roscoe... I think Damien Custom builds these things for his fishing needs.. #They can take up to a 4hp motor.. the one that I use on the day's I was in 1770, #had a 3hp yamaha on the back.. with myself and the missus up the front (and all the cr#p that she takes for a day out) It seemed like we were flying. #Damien said that by the gps speed were just on 6.5knots... he was able to do 9knots in the vessel he was in as he had a 4hp on the back.... on the day we went to pancake creek for the snorkeling it took us 2 1/2 hours to get there 20 k's 3hours home as the tide had droped to ankle deep in places over the rocks and sand bars... with the motor in shallow drive and the two of us in the boat ....still we were still able to motor over most of this ( no way you could do this in a tinnie) but once the motor started to hit to much paddle power came in ( bugger paddleing) you get use to the idea of the motor on the back real relaxing to cruise with the feet hanging over the side... that is what i think anyway if the missus wants to do it again next year then these boats must be ok,, "I told her we are doing more fishing next time" and she seems to think siting on the water in a padded seat reading her book is better than sitting back in the unit reading "I am going to get that Jack that busted me off right under my nose.. I will use the net next time too

roydsy
11-12-2006, 08:00 AM
I've known Ross for a few years now and can recommend his product. ....................... But for god's sake don't tell him I said this about him, I'll never live it down. ;D

haha, i didn't tell him who recommended me but i pickl up my orange basscatcher next weekend complete with one outrigger and seats. Thanks, i will be sure to post some pics when we get it up to Clarie hall and get some bass on tight lines.

roydsy
11-12-2006, 08:04 AM
Good one stinky they look very similiar to Rosco's basscatchers. I think my wife will like the stress free fishing a canoe can provide ( she hates ramp rage and all the preparation a large boat requires.)

Now the question remains what battery and electric motor should i throw on the back on the basscatcher?

Can anyone recommend models or brands.

I am thinking of getting a 52lb transom mount with a huge cranking battery.....