PDA

View Full Version : Electric Outboard - Fresh or Salt

GrahameA
11-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Good afternoon all

This looks likes a better area to post rather than the electronics section.

I am considering investing in an electric outboard. #My quandary is should I buy a saltwater version or a freshwater version.

The moter will be going on a small tinny, 3.4m, and it is really only there to position the boat on the drift along banks or to use instead of rowing when filicking lures.

A saltwater version is almost double the price of a freshwater!!

Has anyone used a freshwater motor in salt for an extended period of time and if so what sort of problems did you have if any?

What precautions do you need to take when using a freshwater model in Salt?

finga64
11-12-2006, 07:06 PM
If you use the new freshy in salt and something goes wrong there's no warantee at all.

Poseidon
11-12-2006, 08:22 PM
I asked the same question some time ago and found that there a quite a number of people who use a freshwater model in the salt without any real problems.

Regards Cameron.

Roughasguts
11-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Makes you wonder is there any real difference, between the salt water and fresh water model.

Apart from the price being double, and you thinking you have a better product cause it's marketed that way.

Just me being cynical I guess.

finga64
12-12-2006, 06:38 AM
If you don't think there's a difference why not ask the salesperson.
You get a definitive answer then and no guessing ;D
Good luck then
Scott ;D

Roughasguts
12-12-2006, 08:25 AM
Think you would be better off asking for the spare parts section to find out if theres any differance.
Salesman Pfffffft.

GrahameA
12-12-2006, 09:26 AM
Hi All

So far I see no reason not to go with using a freshwater model in the salt. Spray with Tectyl first.

Hi Scott

If you don't think there's a difference why not ask the salesperson.

I made that mistake yesterday. Phoned up a largish boat yard enquiring about fittings to be told they were unique and not interchangeable with any other and they did not have any. Went off and had a look in Whitworths Catalogue and they had for all makes except mine. Made the call and the chap there said they were the same as XYZ - went and purchased and it fitted perfectly.

Roughasguts

Just me being cynical I guess.

No matter how cynical you are about the recreational boating/fishing industry you are I am probably even more so. :-)

My experience over a few years suggests that the hype is significantly greater than the reality.

Re Service - I would if I knew one. :-)

Ahhhh....... the "Joys of Boating"

gogecko
12-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Ive been running an Endura 30 in the salt for a year now with no probs. The only issue is the thread on the screw on clamps gets a bit rusty. Nothing a wire brush wont fix.

I was at the ABT weigh in last summer and noticed a lot of the comp guys had freshwater models on, so they must be ok.

Soon I will upgrade to bow mount and will definitley go saltwater version because I beleive the printed circuit board is better made and better protected/sealed.

Worth a punt with freshwater on cheaper models, but if you want a good one to last, go the saltwater.

Andrew