PDA

View Full Version : Bearing Buddies for trailer

Bin455
12-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Hi, Just looking for information on Bearing buddies. I have my new boat arriving mid January and I plan to fit bearing buddies to the trailer straight away, I also want to buy a set for my parents caravan. What I want to know is are they one size fits all??
Also I have seen another type advertised called Dura-Hubs, they are oil filled and I was wondering if anyone has them fitted to their trailer and if so what are they like???

Bin455

Roughasguts
12-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Wouldn't worry about bearing buddies for caravan or box trailer.
Dura hub sound great in theory, but the first thing that goes is the seal at least the grease will stay there. But the oil will run out in no time.
So a seized wheel bearing is just around the corner.

Bearing buddies are good, just don't pump to much grease in the hub, cause them seals on the inside won't hold back 3000 psi, and that is what your grease gun can pump out.

bootyinblue
12-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Agreeable with all in the above post. I have bearing buddies on my trailer and the only problem I had was when first fitted, I 'pumped till I could pump no more' and blew the inside seal. No problem though in rectifying.

Interesting tip I got taught from an old salt, is give both buddies half a pump of grease as soon as you get home, that way the grease inside is warm and will move around easier allowing new grease in. Do this every 6th trip or when you remember and you will have years of free spinning wheels like mine....

John_R
12-12-2006, 12:40 PM
I put Dura Hubs on my trailer. Lapping the axle to get a smooth surface for the seal is the hardest part.

Took the rig up to 1770 and back (500km each way) and when I got back noticed water in one side under the oil in the window. Pulled that side apart and re-lapped the axle. All good now even after a few more local trips like Mooloolaba (100km each way).

I too was concerned with the oil leaking out suddenly and a quick seize, but they say that because the oil is so tacky it will last for 6 hours or more even with a leaky seal. And you can see at a glance if there is a problem due to the oil window in the end. I carry the oil container in the car just in case.

Have not really noticed the fuel economy savings, but the wheels do spin a lot easier than they did with the greased bearings.

Noelm
12-12-2006, 12:48 PM
I had a set of bearing buddies on an old boat trailer, the bearings lasted nearly 9 years, I pulled them apart one day to do some 'maintenance" (after 8 years) and they were still like new, to my best knowledge, they are still going today, I still see the old girl around (boat that is)

griz066
12-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Yup got em on my boat trailer and give em a pump when I get home after each trip, might do it every 4th trip now as I don't want to blow that inside seal as others have stated can happen 8-)

Dory4.1
12-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Bin455,

I seem to recall that there are two sizes of bearing budies available. I bought the steel ones (not the plastic ones), which I had to modify slightly to get them to stay in the hub. They were just a little bit loose, so I had to hit the inside of the "mounting lip" with a centre punch to create a few small dimples which makes them an interferance fit in the hub. Sounds a bit rough, but they haven't fallen of, and they hold grease. Given that I've seen bearing budies lying on the side of the road, I'm guessing this is a common problem.

Anyone else experienced this with their bearing buddies.

Rgs
Michael

Kerry
12-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Dura Hubs? Can't say they impress me at all as they could basically completely fail the bearing in the event of an oil excursion!

Bearing Buddies must be used with caution and really require a bit of modification to work properly without damaging the rear seal.

Regards, Kerry.

finga64
12-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Dura Hubs? Can't say they impress me at all as they could basically completely fail the bearing in the event of an oil excursion!

Bearing Buddies must be used with caution and really require a bit of modification to work properly without damaging the rear seal.

Regards, Kerry.

Gees there's a few trucks and trailers getting about with oil filled hubs that don't fail very often.
But then again I don't see too many semi's in the brinny stuff either :D
Personally I'd have the oil filled dura hubs over pumping grease in bearing buddies.
But none of my trailers have either. Just the good old grease cap and away I go.

Kerry
12-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Finga, Yeah them a big trucks with big dollar hubs and when they spit the dummy the dollars get real big but I've never seen any of them fitted with a plastic bottle and plastic tube!

finga64
12-12-2006, 08:35 PM
Finga, Yeah them a big trucks with big dollar hubs and when they spit the dummy the dollars get real big but I've never seen any of them fitted with a plastic bottle and plastic tube!
Nope they just have a plug in the front of the hub.
I've never heard of any letting go either.
They're not that expensive either compared to normal grease type hubs and I've seen a few of those stuff up.