PDA

View Full Version : Bearing Buddies or Hub Oilers or DIY or Dealer

Ron173
12-12-2006, 01:44 PM
Interested in what is most commonly used with success?

Have heard stories from both camps, so lets see how it looks in a straight poll?

If you use another Auto Lube system please post some details and why it works best for you?

Thanks for your input.

Ron

WHITTO
12-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Should be the option of Neither as well, I check and repack every year whether they need it or not, Cheers #Whitto

Ron173
12-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Valid point Whitto, I've modded the poll,

should be an interesting one...... (and not get controversial!)

Ron

kleyny
12-12-2006, 03:14 PM
i repack thefore i know what condition the bearings are in.

WHITTO
12-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Thats better Rod, Im tending to lean towards the Bearing Buddies winning out , Cheers Whitto

Big_Kev
12-12-2006, 03:33 PM
Jack the wheels up and spin them before each trip and listen for noisey bearings.
Repack every year or before major trip, use bearing buddies and pump extra grease in evry trip also.
Nothing spoils a good day more then a stuffed bearing.

Maybe I am excessive but how many boats do you see on the side of the road missing a wheel at holiday time. The boat gets used a couple of times a year and only fixed when it don't go.

Big_Kev
12-12-2006, 03:35 PM
Oh and new bearing kits are cheap, a lot cheaper then a new hub and axel after being tow trucked home.

Chimo
12-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Bearing Buddies, the steel ones, and I squirt a few shots of marine grease in every couple of short trips.

Two or three pumps only with a little manual grease gun, just so the spring in the end by the nipple starts to compress a tad (little bit)

Has seemed to work so far.

Only axle disasters I've had have been on normal box trailers but that was probably due to putting a ton on a 1/2 ton trailer and travelling fast on windy. bumpy roads.

You know there is a problem when
1 the wheel goes flying past the car and
2 there is a bloody horrible noise and lots of sparks

Ho hum :-[

Cheers

Chimo

DaMaGe
12-12-2006, 03:47 PM
I re-pack them at least once a year, with new bearings. I use INOX high temperature Greece.
I also have Bearing Buddies and squirt Marine Greece in before each trip, unless to full.

Not sure if mixing 2 different Greece cause any issues, but have worked well for myself the last 2 years.

Johnson_Jack
12-12-2006, 04:40 PM
You know there is a problem when
1 the wheel goes flying past the car and
2 there is a bloody horrible noise and lots of sparks ;D ;D ;D ;D

Johnson_Jack
12-12-2006, 05:19 PM
found this
http://www.durahub.com/press-pdfs/Propeller-August2005.pdf

charleville
12-12-2006, 05:27 PM
I repack every year and rely on a few squirts of marine grease into bearing buddies every couple of weeks (I fish up to five times per week).

I just put enough grease into the bearing buddies to shift the spring loaded diaphragm out towards the outer edge a bit. #I also ensure a smear of grease around the inside of the red plastic cover to seal the outer end to sea water.

I also watch each bearing continually in the rear view mirrors on each trip to see that the wheel is running smoothly.

StevenM
12-12-2006, 06:01 PM
I must like work.

I ticked repack. I do run Bearing Buddies and do give them a shot every couple of trips but I remove them every six months and repack them and replace them every twelve months.

Exesive? maybe, but I do travel a bit and I tow at the legal speed without even worrying about them

Cheers

Steven

dogsbody
12-12-2006, 06:36 PM
I use Bearing buddies. new bearings on the to do list this xmas.

Dave.

Dory4.1
12-12-2006, 07:15 PM
I use bearing buddies, and with a smallish tinny, don't need to drown my hubs to launch or retrieve. Keeping the water out certainly helps extend the service life of the bearings

Merry Christmas to all

Michael

Ally_Jack
12-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Bearing buddies and replace bearings every year, they are real cheap insurance

Kerry
12-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Dealers have to be a non option as if they did the job properly at an hourly rate it would cost a fortune.

Bearing Buddies can be usefull but are usually abused. With bearing Buddies the hubs still need to come off every 12 months and if people are pumping grease until slight compression then that's not good for hubs/bearings as they were never meant to be 100% running in grease. Also if your compressing the spring (even slightly) then there is a very good chance of popping the rear seal and that invites water and most likely you will never even be aware it has popped.

There is absolutely no reason to change out bearings every 12 months unless there is an indication they are in fact stuffed for one reason or another.

The proper grease is all important and most of the "so called" recommended greases are no better than the rest. Oh and just be quick in launching ;D

Regards, Kerry.

BaysideMarine
12-12-2006, 08:26 PM
Whenever a customers boat rolls up for servicing and it has bearing buddies fitted I can almost guarantee that the front bearing will be good and the rear bearing shagged....

Happens at minimum 90% of th etime.

Have also fitted the durahub system (which typically requires a new axle as most older axles are pitted in some way and would render the system useless) and even on a brand new axle, 6 months on the customer reports he has to keep an eye on the levels and top up from time to time. So for the cost of them, forget it.

A new set of bearings and 2 part marine seal is typically about $20 or from Supercheap or similar an entire hub and bearings is about $30. Easier just to keep a couple of new hubs in the car when traveling.

I am not an advocate of repacking as I have never seen an occasion where 12 months down the line bearings could be repacked as they were marked and needed replacing.

So, personally, I am an advocate of replace them yourself every 12 months (its very easy to do, unless you have a fear of dirty hands...) and then worry not for 12 months and then replace them again etc etc

No stress, new every year, $40 spent and 1-2hrs labour. What could be simpler than that???

Cheers,

Nicholas

marshy
12-12-2006, 08:42 PM
I have bearing buddies & top up grease after each trip.Grease flicks out of rear seal & makes a bit of a mess but the bearings still seem good after 8 months & around 25 drownings. Will replace them at 12 months. Haven't had the boat long enough to know for sure if this is correct?

Merry Christmas
Marshy

Black_Jack
12-12-2006, 09:43 PM
I use bearing buddies, and also replace all bearings once a year (usually, at least once every two years)

trailer maintenance is very important.

Mad_Barry
12-12-2006, 10:16 PM
I fitted the oil filled dura hubs just over a year ago and they're going well.

Being a lazy sod, I dunk the trailer heaps when launching & dunk it heaps to drive on when retrieving. There doesn't look to be any need to pull them apart for further inspection yet as the oil is still clean, there is no noise, or 'play' between the hub & axle.

The trailer was 18 mths old when I fitted them. The original bearings were used as they were in great nick, with no water intrusion or other contamination in the hub when they were pulled down to fit the dura hubs.

Whilst it's great to strip & service grease filled hubs annually, as what Kerry said, I don't see much need to replace the bearings just for the sake of it. Correctly set up bearings will last for years,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, unless they get water in 'em. :-?

ziggy.
13-12-2006, 06:13 AM
I have had Durahubs fitted for six to seven years now, they are not actually Durahubs, I bought them from Bainbridge Technologies in Cleveland and there was no such thing as Durahub back then that I was aware of.
I was sceptical when I fitted them but was pleasantly surprised with the result, the trailer goes under for launch and retrieval and it does some fairly long trips at times and all I have to do is keep a close eye on the oil level and colour, I have checked the bearings and they are perfect so I am very pleased and I will never go back to the grease.

JT
13-12-2006, 06:24 AM
I use beraing buddies and top up with Marine grease every couple of trips.

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get some of the red plastic covers from, can't seem to buy them without buying another set of buddies?

Cheers

John

Roughasguts
13-12-2006, 08:53 AM
I use beraing buddies and top up with Marine grease every couple of trips.

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get some of the red plastic covers from, can't seem to buy them without buying another set of buddies?

Cheers

John

Yeah I did buy some, can't remember if it was Bias, boating or super cheap.

Big_Kev
13-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Pumping grease into the bearing buddies every trip should not blow out the rear seal if the correct type seal is being used.
Doing this will allow a small amount of grease to leak and provide a bead of grease assisting to seal the bearing (commonly refered to as dynamic lubrication). It makes a mess but is easily cleaned.

Roughasguts
13-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Ah Dynamic lubrication, I will tell the guy's at the RTA that, next time they inspect me car, for oil excursion.

blaze
13-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Whenever a customers boat rolls up for servicing and it has bearing buddies fitted I can almost guarantee that the front bearing will be good and the rear bearing shagged....

Have also fitted the durahub system (which typically requires a new axle as most older axles are pitted in some way and would render the system useless) and even on a brand new axle, 6 months on the customer reports he has to keep an eye on the levels and top up from time to time. So for the cost of them, forget it.

A new set of bearings and 2 part marine seal is typically about $20 or from Supercheap or similar an entire hub and bearings is about $30. Easier just to keep a couple of new hubs in the car when traveling.

I am not an advocate of repacking as I have never seen an occasion where 12 months down the line bearings could be repacked as they were marked and needed replacing.

So, personally, I am an advocate of replace them yourself every 12 months (its very easy to do, unless you have a fear of dirty hands...) and then worry not for 12 months and then replace them again etc etc

No stress, new every year, $40 spent and 1-2hrs labour. What could be simpler than that???

Cheers,

Nicholas

I agree with Nick in this case, would like to say I dont like bearing buddies and as Nick has pointed out the hub should never be full of grease as it can cause over heating. What happens then is when ya get to the ramp and back your warm hubs into the cold water, the sudden cooling will make water suck into the bearings and there lies the start of the bearing failure
cheers
blaze

rodbender
13-12-2006, 09:39 PM
To lunch & retrieve my boat the trailer is completely submerged. i run sea bears oilers and my wheel bearings have not been replace in 7 years they have done a lot of km the longest beening from the central coast in n.s.w. to maryborough.my last boat the bearings had not been replaced in 5years that also run sea bears oilers.

cheers Reg

Big_Kev
14-12-2006, 07:04 AM

Cheers,

Nicholas

I agree with Nick in this case, would like to say I dont like bearing buddies and as Nick has pointed out the hub should never be full of grease as it can cause over heating. What happens then is when ya get to the ramp and back your warm hubs into the cold water, the sudden cooling will make water suck into the bearings and there lies the start of the bearing failure
cheers
blaze

Little or no grease will generate heat, as well as correctly adjusted and working brakes and even a long high speed run to the ramp.
It all comes down to maintanence practice and avoiding the disasters and constantly keeping an eye on a high service item.

blaze
14-12-2006, 08:07 AM
Hi Kev
that maywell be another problem with bearing buddies is people fit them and think they can now forget about the wheel bearings, which we know is not the case. The key to any thing mechanical that moves or looks like movings is service and preventitive maintance
cheers
blaze

Big_Kev
14-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Blaze the key is if it's got wheels tits or propellors it will give you trouble. That means when we take the missus chances of problems are at a peak.

eatmybait
14-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Very helpful and timely post this...
I don't wanna be parked by the highway this boxing day, and I'm not sure how your insurer will handle your non road worthy trailer causing a pile up.

I've only owned my boat 12 months, but I'm going to check the bearings before the holidays. Not having changed bearings before, if I want/need to, is there some basic instructions on doing this? Maybe a web link. Is this info on the bearings packets. My bearings have gaffa tape around them. I trust this is the red cap substitute. :)

PADDLES
14-12-2006, 10:32 AM
heaps of good descriptions on here about changing bearings eatmybait, do a quick search and you'll find one for sure.

i don't use bearing buddies, i just use the bearing cap with a smudge of silicone around it (once installed) and periodically check the wheels for play and or rumbling/notchiness. my brake discs are that krappy/rusty i have to remove calipers to check this properly though ;D

eatmybait
14-12-2006, 10:45 AM
Thanks Paddles...Did a search and found this post again. Groundhog day.

I guess I could drag Mr Google out...
One basic thing. I think the guy I bought my boat off said the trailer had holden wheels. I'm reasonably mechanically minded ::)...I can make mistakes.
Do I just measure the rim diameter and be aware of the wheel nut configuration to confirm Holden rims?

Big_Kev
14-12-2006, 10:59 AM
The wheels will more then likely have HT stamped on them somewhere.
This is no guarantee that the bearings will be holden.
You realy need to pull the bearings out and go by the part numbers and confirm the seal type.
I run holden wheels but have ford slimline bearings installed on one of my trailers.

PADDLES
14-12-2006, 04:07 PM
hey eatmybait try this one, mr blaze put a pretty good description on page 1

http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1162633271/0

eatmybait
15-12-2006, 06:15 AM
Thanks Paddles that's great.
Is there another post for removing the grease from the laptops keypad ;D
Ah wash hands first, or print out instructions to avoid return trips.

PADDLES
15-12-2006, 08:01 AM
nyuk nyuk nyuk ;D

i'm thinking gladwrap for your laptop ;D

James_Rand
15-12-2006, 11:15 AM
My axle/bearings get dunked every launch (1 or 2 times a week). No bearing buddies fitted. Every 12 months when the motors serviced, I have them go over the trailer - repack the bearings etc (never had water ingress into bearings ever!!).
Just a repack and I'm on my way - done plenty of big trips and hubs never get hot!

jr/

Kerry
15-12-2006, 07:02 PM
My axle/bearings get dunked every launch (1 or 2 times a week). #No bearing buddies fitted. #Every 12 months when the motors serviced, I have them go over the trailer - repack the bearings etc (never had water ingress into bearings ever!!).
Just a repack and I'm on my way - done plenty of big trips and hubs never get hot!

jr/

So do the service people do this? Do you watch them?

Ron173
15-12-2006, 09:08 PM
My axle/bearings get dunked every launch (1 or 2 times a week). #No bearing buddies fitted. #Every 12 months when the motors serviced, I have them go over the trailer - repack the bearings etc (never had water ingress into bearings ever!!).

jr/

So do the service people do this? Do you watch them?

Gotta agree Kerry, I wouldnt trust them, but some find this the way to go. fair does.

Over this post you will see lots with bearing buddies which are a good system over nothing, but personally I think the hub oilers have the edge.

A bearing should not, rpt NOT be packed 100%, ask any bearing rep that one, and I feel buddies are pushing close to that by the nature of design, I may be wrong and dont wish an arguement but for me the oil bath as a system wins through.

Its a closed system,(ie no loss, if fitted correctly) and if fitted correctly onto new or nearly new axles, theres no reason for maintenance cept a view on oil level which is easily done.

A few posters have had years of maint free trouble with oilers, as opposed to buddies where you need to keep pumping in grease and it keeps coming out other side.

As usual each to his own, but this post has been enough for me to go dura hub oilers, If you read the posts, there are a few long term users, one guy with 6-7 yrs on oilers, I dunno oil just seems to get in there easier than grease, and if it dont leak, and the diaphgram for pressure changes.... cant be bad.

Anyhow mine fitted, special on supercheap at mo, $99 instead of $125, will start the clock ticking and will report on any issues.

Thanks to all who posted their input, and Merry Xmas to Everyone,

Rgds

Ron

Scalem
15-12-2006, 11:29 PM
I can't remember the last time I replaced my bearings ( some think I'm nuts, but if it ain't broke, why fix it?), but they are due now on the old trailer which I recently updated. I will be buying new bearing buddies for the new trailer, and doing what I've always done - squirt two or three pumps of grease every other trip and watch for the spring to start compressing on the bearing buddy.

For longer trips, I pull over, usually at fuel stops and feel the hub. If it is hot, it's time to replace. Mildly warm, and I don't worry too much, but I keep a spare hub in the boot which is sealed in plastic, already packed with grease and cones, ready to bolt on if needed.

Yep, bearing buddies have given me years of trouble free motoring, on the same set of bearings, probably 5 years or so.

Scalem