PDA

View Full Version : How Do I lock my boat to the trailer??

Scalem
14-12-2006, 08:14 PM
Has anyone read their "Boat Insurance Product disclosure Statement" ???

I am a little mystified on page 12 of my Insurance Statement where it is talking about our responsibilities as boat owners to take reasonable precautions against theft. Here's what I don't know anything about - "boats on trailers must be locked to their trailer, and the trailer must be locked and chained to a permanent immovable object.......

Huh? How does one lock the boat to the trailer??

What am I missing? How do I??

It's interesting to see how many owners don't lock the trailers to immovable objects.....

Scalem

stevedemon
14-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Hi scalem

mate when i insured my boat they ask me if the boat was in the front yard or the rear as well as if in rear yard is the gates lock type if in front yard is boat chain to fence, tree or special made concrete footing

this spun me out but hey answered the question chain in through the wheels around the axle and through the other side of wheel and pad locked to tree or fence pole as it is in front yard so long as they can not just walk straight in hook up trailer and drive away is what they are looking for or for extra safety your can go to the trouble of running a chain and pad lock through the eye on the bow down to the trailer and pad lock it as well or place one of those trailer tow bar locks on
but the main thing is they are loking for is that the theif can not just drive away without some form or stuffing around or like a mate did once he had co-jo in his front yard ;D ;D ;D

but as i stated to the insurance company if someone wants your boat bad enough they will just cut the chain or pad lock

response to this was as long as you have made the effort to secure your vessel and trailer no problems

cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

:) ;D :) ;D :) ;D :) ;D :) ;D

s-pac
14-12-2006, 09:06 PM
Hi Scalem,

Isn't that only if the boat is not housed inside a locked shed??

I had a piece of reinforcing bar put in carport slab so at least I can run some good chain around axles and sub frame of trailer. Also use a locking trailer hitch which is always on, whether at home or at ramp.

Never heard of locking boat to trailer. A bit hard to remove boat without trailer in most cases anyway.

Must contact my insurance company and check anyway.

But how far do the insurance companies want us to go?

Is that boat locked to trailer anytime or only at place of residence?

Regards Andrew

bootyinblue
14-12-2006, 09:17 PM
Scalem,

You must be with the same insurance company I am with. I had this same conversation with them and posted the results on the board here about 2 weeks ago. A search will find it.

My boat is in a locked garage, under the main roofline of the house, and is alarmed. I still must have my boat locked to my trailer, and the trailer with an anti theft device or be chained to an immovable object!

Simple, coupling lock including padlock ($22.95) and pushbike chain, 1.8mtrs from rear handle to tralier (no cost as I had it on my bike already).

Ask them should I chain my TV and DVD to a tree out the back just incase they try and steal that? Was told, dont be silly....LOL

finga64
14-12-2006, 09:36 PM
How about a padlock in the safety chain instead of the normal 'D'??
Easy welded chain to trailer padlock chain to boat ;D

Roughasguts
14-12-2006, 10:22 PM
Waste of time really, a 50 buck bolt cutter around 3 foot long will make short work of a chain and padlock.

Think that would be in any theifs tool kit.

Now stainless wire rope will stop bolt cutters, but you can hit that with a angle grinder. Hell of a lot noisier though.

joeT
15-12-2006, 02:35 AM
How about a padlock in the safety chain instead of the normal 'D'??
Easy welded chain to trailer padlock chain to boat #;D

You would want to make sure the padlock was rated or something, you wouldn't want it to come apart and leave your boat on the pavement.

Feral
15-12-2006, 05:29 AM
Just a minimal padlock through safety chain is all that is need to lock boat to trailer, it serves no purpose other than to satisfy the insurance company.

The main security will be your trailer chained down or locked up. After all once they defeat the lock holding the trailer in place, they will be taking it away to work on the boat to trailer lock at their lessiure!

I'd reckon sneaky way to get a trailer theif would be to connect an electric fence impulse generator up to the trailer lighting, so when they connect it to their car socket it fries the car electrics! ;D

marlinqld
15-12-2006, 05:58 AM
I use 16mm high tensile threaded rod. One piece near the bow, one piece near the transom.

Rod goes through hull and screws into cross member of trailer. Combination lock welded to trailer member secures rod/boat to trailer.

Mind you, its a bitch when you launch, what with 2 x 16mm holes through the hull., leaves you with very wet feet. ;) :P ;D ;D

Seriously though, if some barstard wants your boat they'll take it, nothing you do will save it.

Seems these days they are like cars, stolen to order.

Mike

Scalem
15-12-2006, 06:30 AM
Thanks guys,

Looks like that's one more thing I will have on my check list to do, that is buy a small padlock to fit on the safety chain on the bow of the boat. It can't be a heavy duty one because I can only fit a small diameter lock into the eye of the tow point.

But in reality i'm thinking why? The boat they can have, the motor is 90% of the value of the whole rig. ..... OH NO!! I will have to find a way of locking the thread that bolts the motor to the transom.... Where does it end?? Like a few have said, if they really want the boat/motor, they will find a way!

Scalem

Roo
15-12-2006, 04:33 PM
I've got a 10m plastic coated 10mm braided stainless steel rope from the hardware for about 40 bucks and a big padock. would prefer sheilded type of padlock, but couldn't find one at the time. This sits on the trailer at all times to lock the spare wheel on, but when camping out overnight, I can thread a loop throught the realease latch on My Minn Kota bow mount to stop slow the crooks down for at least these items. the good old trailer lock onto the towbar keeps the trailer secure while at the ramp.

At home, the trailer lock should be all you need if it's in the garage. outside, yoiu could get one of theose wheel clamps.

cheers, roo.

finga64
15-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Thanks guys,

Looks like that's one more thing I will have on my check list to do, that is buy a small padlock to fit on the safety chain on the bow of the boat. #It can't be a heavy duty one because I can only fit a small diameter lock into the eye of the tow point.

But in reality i'm thinking why? #The boat they can have, the motor is 90% of the value of the whole rig. ..... OH NO!! #I will have to find a way of locking the thread that bolts the motor to the transom.... #Where does it end?? #Like a few have said, if they really want the boat/motor, they will find a way!

Scalem
Brian, how about just undoing the hook on the winch strap after you've got the boat up the driveway and putting a bigger better padlock in. The boat isn't going to go anywhere (I mean slide off the trailer).

90% what do you mean?? You have a new trailer now don't forget.

I'd hate to carry your outboard down the driveway on my shoulders. My luck I'd trip and do some damage....mmmm...thinking now. How good's your public liability??? ;D

Scalem
16-12-2006, 07:30 AM
Thanks guys,

Looks like that's one more thing I will have on my check list to do, that is buy a small padlock to fit on the safety chain on the bow of the boat. #It can't be a heavy duty one because I can only fit a small diameter lock into the eye of the tow point.

But in reality i'm thinking why? #The boat they can have, the motor is 90% of the value of the whole rig. ..... OH NO!! #I will have to find a way of locking the thread that bolts the motor to the transom.... #Where does it end?? #Like a few have said, if they really want the boat/motor, they will find a way!

Scalem
Brian, how about just undoing the hook on the winch strap after you've got the boat up the driveway and putting a bigger better padlock in. The boat isn't going to go anywhere (I mean slide off the trailer).

90% what do you mean?? You have a new trailer now don't forget.

I'd hate to carry your outboard down the driveway on my shoulders. My luck I'd trip and do some damage....mmmm...thinking now. How good's your public liability??? ;D

Not bad idea Scottie, I guess the boat can only move as far as the safety chain will allow it. But really, how keen would you be as a thief coming up my driveway to steal a less than new heap of scratched fibreglass and and few bolts. I can't make it too hard to steal, they might do me a favour. ;D ;D The insurance money would buy a better rig!!

Scalem