PDA

View Full Version : bruce anchor

wayneoro
16-12-2006, 02:59 PM
10 yrs ago i bought a tinnie off a o/b mech on it was a strange v. lg 1 piece anchor i told him i didnt want the silly looking thing and he replyed you cant leave it here it goes with the boat couple wks later had a garage sale i put $5 on it two guys spotted it through the gate both baggsed it they nearly came to blows then they tossed losser got $50 winner my $5 anchor 6mths months back i spotted a 2nd hand one at the ship chandlery at port bundy ($50) fair go i havent drifted a inch when ive used it my sand anchor was never reliable as i like to camp out on up river on my boat its a pretty big issue ive been messing with boats all my life this is the 2nd bruce ive ever seen ?

dfox
16-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Wayne, there possiably one of the best holding anchors available, although there is a number of cheap copy's on the market that dont perform like the genuine item. I lost my last one in 110 meters of water (chain hooked up) :( ...foxy

wayneoro
16-12-2006, 08:22 PM
i think the patent has only expired few years ago i guess they were just to dear to buy why we have never seen any around i also heard that no mater how it lands or what the tide does it always gets a hold well worth a few dollars more noing when you kip down youll still be there in the morning

freefish
16-12-2006, 11:30 PM
THey are one of the best holding anchors around. Originally developed to hold North Sea oil rigs in place. Have even heard of them used as an anchor point for winching a 4wd out of sand. Hard to find & hard to stow on board but worth the trouble. I still have the one I had on the yacht. No use for it now but keep it for sentimental reasons as it kept me safe in some pretty nasty weather.

cbs
17-12-2006, 12:05 AM
Manson anchors (NZ) have their own version they call a "RAY" anchor.
http://www.manson-marine.co.nz/SitePages/stainlessray.htm

Put a pair of these on a boat a few years ago. They weren't your average anchor though, price was something like 9k each. Very schmick looking when done on the bow. Lots of shiny bling...