PDA

View Full Version : Ebay gripe and advice

FNQCairns
14-12-2006, 09:23 AM
Trying to source boat bit's for my fit-out and then this 0 feedback bidder Mr O....1 is bidding within hours of an item being listed then is aggressively pursuing it all the way...talk about frustrating...I won but at a relative cost!! just as I want some stuff I have to compete with him!!!...well I am out on my next item he is in there ATM bidding happily, not even going to bid on it now, now not worth the battle with a newbie >:(

The advice bit is contained in the above paragraph.

OK, poopy feel's a bit better now ;D

cheers fnq

finga64
14-12-2006, 09:44 AM
What are you chasing matey??
Some people down this way may come across some stuff.
:)

marshy
14-12-2006, 09:54 AM
that sh$ts me too FNQ , Best to bid with only second remaining- risky that you might not bid high enough to win but at least you don't start a bidding war & pay too much.

Marshy :)

finga64
14-12-2006, 10:00 AM
Be carefull too as some sellers have mates bidding for them to bung the price up.
I've noticed a couple of people selling the same second hand item that I've been looking at again. Done a quick sticky-beak and noticed that feedback had been left, from and for, seller and buyer.
Can't work this out as the item with same picture and description is on the market again.
I always do a feedback thingo on the other bidders as well. Just to check who they've brought off in the past.

timddo
14-12-2006, 10:01 AM
the other bidders, could be dummy bidders, just there to yank the price up.
They do that at auctions all the time. Even though it's illegal.

DR
14-12-2006, 10:25 AM
just make your first bid the max you are prepared to pay. ebay will automatically bid on your behalf at the recommended increments each time someone out bids you, once it reaches your max ebay stops bidding..if they areplaying games you don't get caught as you picked your max price, a lot of time it will come up less than your top bid so you get a better deal..

bootyinblue
14-12-2006, 11:28 AM
STOP PRESS.....

There is actually a program I use to bid on my behalf whether I am at the computer or not. It it timed to 'snipe' (there is a clue in there) with only a few seconds to go. That way you a) dont start a bidding war b) Dont generate excessive interest in the item alluring others to look and bid.

Seems that is skims a fine line with Ebay's policies. But what are they going to do... cancel my account?

imported_admin
14-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Either use a snipe program or just place a bid with only a few seconds to go.

Never bid on an item unless there is under a minute left.

Noelm
14-12-2006, 12:57 PM
hhhmmm not too sure ebay is worth all the bother, sure you may pickup some odds and ends cheaper, but, is it really worth all the sh!t that goes with it?

FNQCairns
14-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Yeah nothing like the element of surprise on Ebay, bidding before the end either auto or not just gives the drongo pushing the final price up higher time to consult his bank balance, wife, the jogger in the street on how much extra he can now bid.

Interesting the battle I watched push the price up, then I came through in the last few seconds and won the item, then in the next very short while the same seller listed and sold the same item again, with a buy it now for less (a couple of dollars) than the item I swiped... and the drong I outbid in the last few seconds bought it!!!!
Sounds a bit strange, going to check the feedback amounts on those that left feedback with this seller now.

When paranoid it's easy to find something extra to do ;D

cheers fnq

Reef_Ranger
14-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Best to "Watch the Item" and only bid in the last 2 minutes with your maximum bid. If you don't win it, theres always next time.

On higher priced items ie boats, cars etc, the are many dummy bids (mates, wifes, siblings) to run the price up. Dont be fooled by these only bid what you are willing to pay. 9/10 the seller will contact you after the auction and give you a second chance offer at your highest bid, saying something like "the bloke pulled out of the deal" - bulsh!t.

There are many tactics in ebay - but essentially 1) only bid your limit 2) do it late in the auction to avoid other interest in the item 3) be patient.

They are my handy hints anyway. ;D

Sam

Dory4.1
14-12-2006, 05:49 PM
Hi,

The number of times you see stuff with bids at prices well above what you would consider possible, only to see the item readvertised at a later date would support the fact that there is either lots of dummy bids from mates of the items owner, and or lots of bids from idiots that have no intention of paying for the item.

Bottom line is that it spoils it for genuine bidders, my advice is to research the price of the item, and only bid up to what you think it is worth.

Cheers
Michael

steveg1100
14-12-2006, 07:20 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with dummy bidders. The seller is after a certain ammount and is not going to let it go for less it is always your decision if you are willing to pay the price you are in control of how much you are going to pay.

troy
14-12-2006, 07:38 PM
Curious.
If the dummy bidder wins where does the seller win and who pays for the item.
Troy

BaysideMarine
14-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Easy Troy,

If a dummy bidder happened to win it the sale can be nulled out where both parties agree to delete the transaciton. So no problems there. Just relist and you are away.

Cheers,

Nicholas

Deiter
14-12-2006, 08:25 PM
FNQ, just put your highest bid in and let it sort itself out. If you win, you got it for a price you were happy with. If not, it was too expensive for you. Bidding in the last seconds is the tightass scums way. Outbidding someone by 50c with 3 seconds to go is being a tightass. Bid or sit on the fence and watch.

I have sold quite a few things on ebay, as well as made many purchases and been outbid by the aforementioned tightasses in the final seconds, so now, if i want something, i decide what i will pay for it and put that amount in, whether it be with 10 days remaing or ten minutes. Do it that way and you can't complain. Fnq, if you want something bad, chances are someone else will too, nature of the beast.

I actually think that the rules should be changed to prevent the T.A. bid, and to be fairer to sellers and genuine buyers. Instead of having a set ending time, i think it should be a 'floating' end time, where the auction closes within say, a ten minute window. That way, the auction could close in 5 seconds or 5 minutes, so the last-gasp bidders are negated. Just my view.

Damo ;D

PinHead
14-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Either use a snipe program or just place a bid with only a few seconds to go.

Never bid on an item unless there is under a minute left.

and then hope the postie arrives when the other half is not home ?????

bootyinblue
14-12-2006, 08:59 PM
BM and Troy,

I am pretty sure the seller is still charged a percentage of the final valuation fee as Ebays comission, and I am not to sure there are many ways out of it. I know that in the Ebay policy it specifically talks about dummy bidders and that any practice such as it is against their policy..

bootyinblue
14-12-2006, 09:06 PM
DEITER...

Cant really make sense of what your arguement is there as you say you put your highest bid in and let it sort it out, so I assume letting EBay bid up to your limit. If someone comes in with a bid that is higher than your maximum, why are they a tight ass? They have bid more than you were prepared to bid on the item, so wouldnt that make........... you know the rest!

FNQCairns
14-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Damo, that floating idea is interestiong had not thought of it, I just then got out-bid by an even tighter arse than me (or he has broadband as I am on dialup ;D) it's ok, what goes around......

I am in the auction to win the item for the cheapest price possible or I wouldn't be there, my maximum price doesn't really come into it, now if I needed a new pace-maker or art hip I would be into the max bid idea quick as a flash :D.

cheers fnq

BilgeBoy
14-12-2006, 09:43 PM
it's called Shill Bidding >:(....look it up on Ebay site and feel free to tell Ebay if you suspect it. :D

BilgeBoy

sleepygreg
15-12-2006, 12:50 AM
I wouldnt trust e-bay sellers as far as i can kick em.....too many scammers around nowadays....just another outlet for us to be conned out of our $....i dont buy it unless i can see it and hold it! end of story.

Greg

subicecom
15-12-2006, 01:56 AM
I have purchased a lot of stuff off both U.S and Aus ebay and the best advice is... bid at the last possible moment.

Watch an item similar to what you want, or several of them for a few days to see the price fluctuations, then you have an idea of what $ it takes to win the auction.

Sub.

troy
15-12-2006, 03:51 AM
What is a snipe program and how do you use it.
I have just started using e bay and i was suspicious about dummy bidders but after what has been said above i am now convinced.
Troy

a_big_red_1
15-12-2006, 04:07 AM
hi FNQ, im with marshy n col, wait for the last 30sec or less and place your max bid, what ever you think its worth to you, by all means dont show any intrest on the item you are keen on

Daz

PinHead
15-12-2006, 04:40 AM
Trying to source boat bit's for my fit-out and then this 0 feedback bidder Mr O....1 is bidding within hours of an item being listed then is aggressively pursuing it all the way...talk about frustrating...I won but at a relative cost!! just as I want some stuff I have to compete with him!!!...well I am out on my next item he is in there ATM bidding happily, not even going to bid on it now, now not worth the battle with a newbie >:(

The advice bit is contained in the above paragraph.

OK, poopy feel's a bit better now ;D

cheers fnq

we all had 0 feeback at some stage...everyone is entitles to bid to their hearts content...I just bid once with my maximum bid...if I win it then all is good..if not I wait and keep looking..something else usually comes along.

some people get very carried away with the bidding process and hate losing. A couple ofm onths back I saw some moblie scaffold on there..brand new from a manufacturer..I could buy similar here for about $2500. The bidding was at $700..I put in a maximum bid of $1500..freight was another $400. I would have been happy to get it at that price. The bidding went wild towards the end...final price was $2850 plus freight. Now wait for it...2 lines below the same seller had the same item as a buy it now for $2350 plus freight...now work that one out.

PinHead
15-12-2006, 04:45 AM
What is a snipe program and how do you use it.
I have just started using e bay and i was suspicious about dummy bidders but after what has been said above i am now convinced.
Troy

Troy..do a google search of "snipe"..there are many snipe programmes there...most charge but give you 30 days free...you enter the austion number and your maximum bid and how long before it ends that you want your bid placed...you have to make sure your computer clock is set the same as ebays...with cable you can set it as low as about 8 seconds and get your bid in..with dial up probably a bit sooner.

I have sold a lot on ebay and I doubt you need any dummy bidders..human nature takes over and people bid merrily and you usually get some good prices..I have sold unwanted items at above retail prices without any form of dummy bids or anything else.

finga64
15-12-2006, 07:01 AM
[quote author=troy link=1166052239/15#23 date=1166118696]
I have sold a lot on ebay and I doubt you need any dummy bidders..human nature takes over and people bid merrily and you usually get some good prices..I have sold unwanted items at above retail prices without any form of dummy bids or anything else.

Isn't that the truth.
The cook used to sell heaps of clothes on e-bay.
We'd go and buy them off 'the rag lady' (she's got the contract for all the clothes going in the help the blind people bins) for $5/kg. We'd see her about once a month and get about 20kg of clothes.
Take a picture and bung it on ebay.
She used to average $150-$200/week and we'd be sending clothes all over the world #:-? :-?
Levie jeans would be going to America #:-? and dry-as-bones to Monaco.
We picked up some sticks off the side of the road one-day out at Warwick for the fish tank. One was too big for tank. We put it on E-bay for interests sake and got $23 for it. You beauty #[smiley=grin.gif]

marshy
15-12-2006, 07:17 AM
Deiter [damo] buying on ebay is all about getting something for the best price & sometimes the only way to get the best price is to bid in the last few seconds.If I wanted to pay retail I would buy it at the shop.I always do my researsh & i know what i can buy an item for eleswhere so I know my maximum ,but if I put my maximum on early mug punters come along & drive the price up often higher than retail.I have seen 2nd hand gps units with no warranty sell for $250 more then brand new when two mugs try to out do each other. My 2 cents worth.

Marshy

griz066
15-12-2006, 07:46 AM
Easy Troy,

If a dummy bidder happened to win it the sale can be nulled out where both parties agree to delete the transaciton. So no problems there. Just relist and you are away.

Cheers,

Nicholas
Just remember it is not FREE to use Ebay there are listing fees and selling fees.

Whats the point of a seller organising a dummy bidder to drive the price up and then actually win the item, the seller has to pay the % of the sale price to ebay and then the xtra $ to relist the item.
I think a lot of ppl have the wrong idea about how Ebay works, it is a auction site so get used to being out bid thats how it is supposed to work. Use the buy it now where possible that will get you the item for sure

Deiter
15-12-2006, 09:13 AM
Marshy, you are dead right. I have seen ppl bidding ABOVE the buy it now price for some items, doesn't make sense to me either. There are definately boneheads out there, thats for sure.

As far as getting a bargain goes, couldn't agree more. that's why i decide a price i am happy with and let the auto bid do the work. I used to get outbid in the last few seconds on items that i would have paid more for. That's why i changed tactics. Now, i place a bid, and the last second bidders come in, but they only put an extra 50c ( or $5 for larger items), then they run out of time and my max bid still outdoes them. Once again, I only put an amount in that i would be happy with anyway. If i get outbid, it wasn't meant to be.

It is a matter of choice, do whatever you want. Just remember, you will miss a lot of good buys with last second bids, then think, "i should/ would have bid more". Live by the sword, die by the sword, i guess.

Damo

p.s. bootyinblue, If someone wants to outbid me, good on them. Its the last second bidders that used to erk me, but that's right, i was being a tightass too.

marshy
15-12-2006, 09:54 AM
Yeah your right Damo, sometimes I do miss out with my last second tactics but I have already decided what my maximum was & I bid my maximum so if I miss out well then it wasn't meant to be. still reckon this is better than putting my maximum on early & generating interest in an item & then watching yoyo's try to out bid each other until the finishing price is too high.
I suppose if I was the seller then I would think the opposite. :)

Marshy

KGW3
15-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Thats the whole thing about auctions... Some people get caught up in the bidding frenzy without thinking about whether they are really getting a good deal. Example: Go to the car auctions and fight for a good deal.
probably dummy dealers bidding against you too.
You get a car with a non-exitent warranty that you cant even test drive.

Would never buy at ANY auction..

freddofrog
15-12-2006, 12:54 PM
my two bobs worth,

I currently trying to get ebay to investigate someone ramping up but they're (ebay) are useless. All I get from them is pretyped templated replies that all is ok. Really makes you lose faith in the system when they just flag you off like that :'(

Dory4.1
15-12-2006, 07:06 PM
I actually thought dummy bidding was illegal, hence real estate auction down south require bidders to be registered to stop scumbags fraudulantly inflating the price

disorderly
15-12-2006, 08:47 PM
#Always amazed to see how many people who want something for next to nothing.Why the hell do you think people list items on ebay.
#As Damo says above,figure out what the maximum amount you are willing to pay for an item is,decide on your bidding strategy and see how you go.If you win,good on you ,but for gods sake if you miss out,get over it!

# #cheers Scott

#

Glenn_Woods
16-12-2006, 03:50 AM
I Know of a seller that does dummy bidding. Especially if the bids are lower than the cost of the item.
I put a bid on that i feel comfortable with and then turn the computer off.
That way i am not tempted to go above my limit.
I once bid on an item and was out bided. so i raised my bid again and won it. The next day i saw the same item offered again at a lower price.
I learnt my lesson.

Woodsy

finga64
16-12-2006, 05:47 AM
It's got to be cheap for me to buy on e-bay.
The amount of hassles and trouble you can have just isn't worth the full price.
And usually there's no waranty so it got to be real cheap.
I'm still waitng on some jighead moulds I brought in October to get here from the states.
I hope they get here otherwise I'm done a wod of cash :(

skippa
16-12-2006, 06:20 AM
We picked up some sticks off the side of the road one-day out at Warwick for the fish tank. One was too big for tank. We put it on E-bay for interests sake and got $23 for it. You beauty #[smiley=grin.gif]

Finga,

ROFLMAO ;D ;D

Love it $23 for a Warwick stick ;D

Reminds me of a mate who put up a 'air guitar' and got $28 for it ;D ;D

Cheers,
Tony

first_mate
17-12-2006, 08:34 AM
I have never sold on ebay, but my niece has recently. She sais she has to pay the seller fee once the auction closes if there has been a bid. If the 'winning' buyer pulls out - she still had to pay Ebay! That would discourage dodgy bidders oping tppush the price up, if they make their mate pay a higher fee and still no real sale.

Don't forget the for sale sections of this site.

Best wishes for the festive season,
Angus
:) :) :)

FNQCairns
17-12-2006, 06:28 PM
It's got to be cheap for me to buy on e-bay.
The amount of hassles and trouble you can have just isn't worth the full price.
And usually there's no waranty so it got to be real cheap.
I'm still waitng on some jighead moulds I brought in October to get here from the states.
I hope they get here otherwise I'm done a wod of cash #:(

Finga, economy surface parsel post? - start worrying at 3 months, I am sure they keep missing Australia.

cheers fnq