PDA

View Full Version : Kevlacat 2400 - any ausfish owners...?

jack_attacks
15-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Owners of Kevlacat 2400

I am considering this boat as my next one...keen to hear from owners on the strengths/weaknesses of this particular model.

Any advice/feedback appreciated...

Playtime

Kerry
15-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Could you outline what previous vessels have you owned/operated?

boatboy50
15-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Hey Guys,

Its a very nice boat. I'd be careful where you buy it from as a friend had problems when buying from the southside Brisbane dealer. Never ending issues.

PM if you want more details.

Regards

Darren

jack_attacks
16-12-2006, 08:42 AM

Currently own a 5.4 plate profish...with a baby on the way, need something a little more family friendly...

Kerry
16-12-2006, 09:28 AM

Currently own a 5.4 plate #profish...with a baby on the way, need something a little more family friendly...

So it's a fairly big jump then?

Baby friendly? never thought about that one? As long as you can manage it on/off the trailer (trailerable I presume?) as a family then that would be the hardest bit for a while, with baby.

Towing no issue? You capable of at least 3.2 tonne?

But depending on what your exact requirements are, and if the Cat is the best option, have you ever thought of say the 2000 (5.2) or 2100 etc. There's really not all that much difference between a 2000 and 2400 if you only want to run family type trips around in the bay and even outside. The 5.2 in many respects is a more family friendly boat then the 2400 and just as capable, a bit easier to tow, better running costs etc

Regards, Kerry.

jack_attacks
16-12-2006, 10:00 AM

Currently own a 5.4 plate #profish...with a baby on the way, need something a little more family friendly...

Baby friendly? never thought about that one? As long as you can manage it on/off the trailer (trailerable I presume?) as a family then that would be the hardest bit for a while, with baby.

But depending on what your exact requirements are, and if the Cat is the best option, have you ever thought of say the 2000 (5.2) or 2100 etc. There's really not all that much difference between a 2000 and 2400 if you only want to run family type trips around in the bay and even outside. The 5.2 in many respects is a more family friendly boat then the 2400 and just as capable, a bit easier to tow, better running costs etc

Regards, Kerry.
# #

Thanks Kerry - keen for something to overnight with the family in...hence the desire for something a little bigger than the 5.2. Do a lot of offshore fishing around Cape Moreton area - normally around 250hrs/yr...been out twice this week (Tues and Thurs) in the trailcraft ;D

Tow vehicle is a Nissan Patrol - rated up to 3000kg tow capacity.

I am looking at the 2400KC, or the 2300 Noosa cat...not sure which one will suit best, but the NC seems to be a little more price competitive...need something that the wife and I (with new baby) can stay overnight on so we can get the full weekend fishing offshore without having to run across the bay (price of fuel!).

Thoughts?

revs57
16-12-2006, 10:06 AM
G'day Playtime,

a close friend has one...picked it up just on 12 mths ago...powered by a pair of 140 'zukes...he raves about it.

I've been heading out to the banks early in the morning...moderate sea...reasonable clip.
John has left Mooloolaba 10 minsafter me and been fishing 20 mins or so before me...and we don't muck around...the ride of his thing is exceptional.

John gets around 28-32 litres/hour economy out of both engines...better than his 17ft shark cat with twin 70's.

He has had problems with the dealer which is absolutely rediculous...He asked for a couple of drain bungs be put into the hull somewhere...the result was a 1000 litres of water in the pontoons and a trip back to kevlar cat to fix their stuff up. The trailer then sheared an axel...no dealer support whatsoever...pretty poor if you ask me...you'd reckon after a bloke spends in the vacinity of $130,000.00 a dealer would bend over backwards to keep him happy...could be the same south side dealer Boatboy50 was referring to

Any way...as a boat, John is so totally stoked...and they look awesome on the water too

hope this helps

cheers

rhys

Kerry
16-12-2006, 10:26 AM

Regards, Kerry.
# #

Thanks Kerry - keen for something to overnight with the family in...hence the desire for something a little bigger than the 5.2. #Do a lot of offshore fishing around Cape Moreton area - normally around 250hrs/yr...been out twice this week (Tues and Thurs) in the trailcraft #;D

Tow vehicle is a Nissan Patrol - rated up to 3000kg tow capacity.

I am looking at the 2400KC, or the 2300 Noosa cat...not sure which one will suit best, but the NC seems to be a little more price competitive...need something that the wife and I (with new baby) can stay overnight on so we can get the full weekend fishing offshore without having to run across the bay (price of fuel!).

Thoughts?

In that respect then the 2400 is probably more in line with your requirements. yes the 2400KC and 2300NC with have a price difference and so will the resale price at the end of the time.

If your getting it built from scratch and assuming you would fit a toilet then have a think about other location options then under the port bunk, can be a bit of a nuisance and and a little confined to access.

The Nissan even at 3000kg will be borderline and more than likely be overweight when fueled. Fuel tank options even with 4S's the 50's over the 40's if they still make 50's as the 40's are more like 160 litres rather than 180 litres.

Won't even touch the question of power #;D

Regards, Kerry.
#

jack_attacks
16-12-2006, 10:44 AM
[quote author=Kerry link=1166169580/0#4 date=1166225282][quote author=Playtime link=1166169580/0#3 date=1166222574][quote author=Kerry link=1166169580/0#1 date=1166173170]Could you outline what previous vessels have you owned/operated?

Fuel tank options even with 4S's the 50's over the 40's if they still make 50's as the 40's are more like 160 litres rather than 180 litres.

Won't even touch the question of power #;D

Regards, Kerry.
#

Kerry
Must be having a "senior moment"...not sure what is meant by this last part...? :-?

Can you please explain?

Kerry
16-12-2006, 11:20 AM
The last part ;D well there appears to be this thinking that the 2400 goes better with/needs twin 140's and especially from those that push certain makes/models of engine :D

And regardless of much of the hersay I don't agree and quite frankly would opt for different power than what KC are fitting by default, this being for a number of reasons, which can and does get quite involved and drawn out :-X

Regards, Kerry.

dfox
16-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Playtime, if you intend to use the boat quite a bit for over nighting with the "family" i'd take into account that a cat and the tunnel slap you sometimes get can be miserable to sleep in. Generally for a bunch of rough tough blokes theres not much of an issue, but during the night if a bit of wind blows up and the boat swings into the wind and therefore the waves the constant thumping may not be family friendly. As usual theres always trade off's to concider. Other then that, get a cat ;) ...foxy

Kerry
16-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Playtime, if you intend to use the boat quite a bit for over nighting with the "family" i'd take into account that a cat and the tunnel slap you sometimes get can be miserable to sleep in. Generally for a bunch of rough tough blokes theres not much of an issue, but during the night if a bit of wind blows up and the boat swings into the wind and therefore the waves the constant thumping may not be family friendly. As usual theres always trade off's to concider. Other then that, get a cat #;) ...foxy

Yep agree with all of that #:o when your sitting 50nm off the coast 3 in the morning, have your shoulder locked up between the bunk and the underside of the deck and thinking now what else can happen to make things really miserable and then it rains #:o Extract self from under deck only to find she's making her own rain surging into a breaking north westerly so go back to sleeping position, #locked up under deck #8-) not a real family friendly thing! #

But hey if you didn't have a Cat you wouldn't be there in the first place ;D #

jack_attacks
17-12-2006, 08:49 AM
Thanks for all the advice ausfishers...that's what makes this site so great. ;)

Yesterday I went up to Noosa Cat and Wayne (the owner) showed me over a number of his models at the factor. WOW - I was impressed by these. I remember the older shark cats were pretty basic, but the guys up a NC have certainly taken a great hull and added in a bit of 21 century.

I looked over the 2300 (19ft) walkabout - a nice boat with surprisingly large cabin - could sleep two adulsts comfortably in there. Apparently, he makes the same walkaround boat in the 2700 (23 ft) - I reckon that would be a nice rig ;), however it does cost a little (9K) for the walkaround versus the cuddy cabin that I was originally looking at. Both the walkaround and the cuddy hard top versions would be a great boat...maybe a little big to tow any great distance, but when you live 2K from the local ramp it isn't a great problem. The 2700 (23 ft) goes plenty well enough with 150 4ST on the back (apparently does 40Knts), while the 2300 is well placed with 135 Verado's.

Any particuarly comments about the new NC's versus the KC?

Cheers
Playtime

Smithy
18-12-2006, 10:20 AM
How about something out of left field that sort of slots in between a 5.2/1900/2100 KC and a 2400 KC? #A Commander Cat made down the Gold Coast. #Mates have one when they were badged as an Ambition Cat. #They are 5.99m long and most are coming out with twin 90 Suzuki 4 bangers. #Price will be under even a 1900 KC. #Weight it just over 2 tonne so you will need breakaway brakes but they use high tech construction methods to keep the weight down. #Tunnel is a bit lower than KCs so it sneezes easily and drops its nose through them in short sharp ones and when trolling. #Definately get the bow rail and fit some spray dodgers. #Mates troll with theirs all the time but he is going to retrofit a Commander Cat bowrail and fit dodgers. #Anything that hits the cab will land in you lap with the skijump sort of nose. #Not as bad as an old V-Sea I spose. #Biggest and best selling point is the east-west double berth in the front. #Many of the guys on here doing game tournaments can attest to the size of it. #Makes the setup in KCs pretty sub-standard. #You will still have the slap, slap in the tunnel so make sure you get the entire cabin lined in carpet/felt stuff to try and eliminate a lot of that. #Ride is typically well designed cat. #The hull is a NZ commercial boat hull. #Say no more about those guys and the west coast bars they have to run. #The Aussie one just has tricked up gunnels etc. compared to the plain commerical one. #You could probably buy this one off Bassy for $60G or so. #It has come up for sale once or twice.

Think 2400KCs are the thing most people aspire to in trailerboat land. #They are getting up there as far as being easy to tow. #Andrew Yeh with the 2400KC "Inside Edge" takes his by water a lot of the time and keeps it in marinas as oppossed to towing if he can. #If you have the $$$s go for it. #Don't think you would be dissappointed.

Kerry
18-12-2006, 06:28 PM
....Any particuarly comments about the new NC's versus the KC?....

One thing I don't see as a positive these days is KC now going through dealers. Straight from the factory had a lot more going for it and this dealer thing is trying to be like everybody else but to me backward move.

Histroy has shown KC hold re-sale over NC by a fair margin, however these days I wouldn't like to call it but still believe KC still maintains the lead.

As your comments with regard the 2700NC only being 23 feet (in true American measurement style ;D) etc then you would no doubt be aware the KC2800 is less than 23 feet and the 2400KC in the just under 21 foot mark. So it's horses for courses as usual.

Depending on how long you might be intending to keep this rig and since your not towing it a great distance an alloy trailer is basically a must have, might cost a little bit more but truely a no worry thing unlike most run of the mill gal/steel versions.

Regards, Kerry.

rob cady
02-06-2007, 07:17 PM
gidday playtime I am also from Mackay and are waiting on a new 2400 kc 140 suzis on the back .I currently own a huntsman 23 volvo 200 hp turbo deisel all restored nice boat and up for sale from today .test ride on wed 30-5 5 people on board a good 15 plus knots very nice ride no noise brilliant going across the swell at 45 degress speed was 28 miles p/h motors were very quiet economy is very good apparently and we were very impressed .

I really cant compare the ride to the mono hull considering its a big mono similiar to a berty etc I know the 2400 kc are expensive but what isnt these days ,I also have a friend with a 2400 kc in seaforth that is very happy with it owned it 4 years he is re powering it now with 140 hp suzis it had 100 yams when they first came out up here to keep price down but fairly under powered really and very thirsty (WORKING FLAT OUT ) The new 2400 kc done 50 mph flat out at 6ooo rpm cheers

chainsaw
02-06-2007, 09:16 PM
jack_attacks I dont know if its sold but "insideout" has a KC 2400 listed in the for sale section. Its at Hervey Bay. Rod

Smithy
03-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Don't worry about bringing this thread to the top. Playtime is 99% signed up on a 35' Bertram!

OPTI
03-06-2007, 12:01 PM
before you decide on any boat,make sure you go for a test ride[drive] before you buy.dont take other peoples advise as gospel.if your adamant on a cat in the 130 grand bracket,you have about 5 choices,the kevla cat 2400,the noosa cat 2300,the power cat 2400,the dominater 7m and the coastal cat 7m.all except the dominater are made locally to you.you really need to compare the pros and cons of each model.
personally i think the power cat 2400 in this bracket is hard to beat.more features,better cabin,more cockpit free board and you wont take 6 months to get used to its handling.ultimately you have to make the choice thats right for you.
regards opti

sik008
03-06-2007, 02:58 PM
my mates got a 3700 kevlacat with twin 225 yammies 4 strokes and he absolutely loves it. It chews a bitta fuel though- 160L per hour at 30 knots....It looks awesome in the water and has everything that a man would want.

cheers alex