PDA

View Full Version : cleaning/polishing clears

searay215ec
17-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Hi everyone

Just wanted some opinions on some good products for cleaning/polishing clears. Our boat is always outside so the clears are looking a bit weathered now.

I have used PLexus before but i really need something to clean or polish clears first.

Cheers

SeaSaw
17-12-2006, 09:58 PM
I've always used Mr Sheen on mine. The guy who made them recommended Mr Sheen as being the best thing to use to keep tem looking new.

Mark

Fat_Chilli
17-12-2006, 10:21 PM
I use 'Mothers' plastic polish and then plexus on the boat clears and the Jeeps plastic windows, works well.

Grunter71
17-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Yep, the bloke that made mine also recommended Mr Sheen. Something about the silicone in it.

Roughasguts
18-12-2006, 04:33 AM
Mr sheen, We use it on Aircraft, wind sheilds as well.

Good on the boats, placcy windscreen and clears.

Cheap too.

Homer_Jay
18-12-2006, 07:08 AM
I am now very concerned....... R A G, you work on aircraft??? With a name like that I might think twice before getting on a plane from now on... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Chimo
18-12-2006, 07:16 AM
Hi Sea...........

I agree with all the above above maintaining clears ie Mr Sheen and Plexus.

Other than these which do help to maintain and have a little restorative benefit keeping the clears protected from UV with a cover it also pretty helpful, which I'm sure you already know.

There was a thread on this and ways to store clears not all that long ago on the site, cannot remember due to being a GOM, if it covered much on restoration. Probably worth a search or two to delve back and check it out.

Cheers

Chimo

Roughasguts
18-12-2006, 07:49 AM
Homer j Your safe mate, only worked un licensed on puddle jumpers.
But flew Aircraft Licensed for a living, but a fairly poor one.
So turned the career in eventually, as I was getting to old for the Airlines.

Roughasguts
18-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Think the best storage for your clears is rolled up in cloth or paper.
That will keep the kinks out, and prevent the clears from going Milky.

searay215ec
18-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

The clears are bit weathered from sitting outside uncovered, i'll try the Mr Sheen stuff.

Maybe the clears are too bad to revive, i'll see what happens.

Thanks again

Homer_Jay
19-12-2006, 06:41 AM
Just make sure they are dry before you roll them up or the water will soak into the clears giving them the milky look.

RAG, thats good.... atleast I know i will be safe! ;D

INDULGENCE
19-12-2006, 07:38 AM
Hi searay

Mr Sheen for mine , however I have now fitted shadecloth covers over the clears when I know the boats not going to be used for a while.
I managed to get some bright blue shadecloth and put eyelets into it, fitted double length toggles its an easy fit and protects the clears from salt and sun.

Wally