PDA

View Full Version : canoe or kayak

yamp
17-12-2006, 09:08 PM
thinking of buying a kayak or canoe for family christmas present,after any advice on which way to go.I have looked at the viking 2 plus 1 seater kayak $1200 approx.looking for something to paddle around with missus and 2yr old boy, maybe flick a lure or do abit of exploring.whats the pros and cons of kayaks and canoes any advice would be greatly appreciated brands costs etc cheers yamp

Timj
18-12-2006, 04:52 PM
Hi Yamp,

Have a look at the Hobie kayaks. They have a system called the mirage drive which is a pedal system rather than paddle. We have two of them and they are fantastic fishing kayaks as you don't have your hands tied up with paddling. Worth a test paddle if you are looking. They can travel faster than the paddle Kayaks and you are using your legs which have better muscles for long term work. They are not the cheapest but are so well set up for fishing that the value is there.

Tim.

Pirate_Pete_Tas
18-12-2006, 05:48 PM
It depends on where you are going to go & what you want to carry.

If you want to carry camping gear & travel down river & camp as you go then a canoe is the go. I can stand up in my canoe & cast if I want to but the wind is a real problem. I have done 3 runs past the same fishing bed in a lake in Tassie compared to a modern bass fishing style aluminum dingy because of the wind. I could see him catching fish & I was using similar gear but the drift rate was too fast I he out caught me 5 to 1.

If you want to paddle around & fish in the sea & open type waters that are subject to wind then a sit on kayak is the go.

Canoes have a higher free board & generally have a bigger carrying capacity but if where you want to go suffers from wind then that higher free board becomes a sail & the wind will have its way with you.

yamp
19-12-2006, 10:03 AM
thanks for the replies fellas think I will go kayak