PDA

View Full Version : Roller problems, when loading

dnej
19-12-2006, 08:17 AM
G'day,
I have just finished a refurbish, on my brothers trailer.
It has wobble rollers,and carries a fibre glass Savage.
The problem is, when loading, the rollers dont roll over the moulded strakes,on the bow end, and push the boat to one side, or jam up the loading completely.
Adjustment of the rollers, is not an option,as further under the boat, the strakes spread to the normal width.
The issue is, where the strakes, narrow at the bow.
It has been suggested, that we need to purchase a tapered roller , that dont have a square edge.
It is the suare edge of the roller that catches, on the strake.
Any suggestions
David

PADDLES
19-12-2006, 09:55 AM
can't help ya with your problem dnej but have a trailer question for you because i'm doing my trailer refurb this thursday/friday.

did you grease the shafts of your new rollers or did you assemble them without grease?

only the last 8 rollers on my trailer are shagged (and need replacement) but if greasing them all is the go i'll take em all off and grease them.

Roughasguts
19-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Sounds like it don't need rollers there at all.
Or maybe they should be set back further, or lowered a tad.
Or the easiest and best way could be to have a single keel roller put under the bow, and the problem rollers lowered a bit.

Or is there already a keel roller up front that could be raised a bit.

Roughasguts
19-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Paddles don't grease your trailer rollers, if your boat already runs quickly of your trailer.

Un hooking your winch strap, and safety chain, will be a pain in the arse.

FNQCairns
19-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Will changing the depth you load the boat help? either shallower or deeper. We are all creatures of habit.

cheers fnq

Roughasguts
19-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Other thing is the alignment of the winch cable, is it pulling the boat down, instead of pulling up the trailer.

This effect would be more pronounced when getting closer to the winch post.

Maybe just raise the winch post to releive any pulling down effect.

FNQCairns
19-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Good thinking 99!

PADDLES
19-12-2006, 12:50 PM
thanks roughy, i'll give the grease a miss ;D

griz066
19-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Q 1 How long is the boat?
Q 2 Does the trailer have keel rollers?

dnej
19-12-2006, 04:53 PM
Trailer has 3 keel rollers. Boat is 16 feet. Position of cable is fine.When loaded, the winch point fits neatly into the winch post roller.
Boat is being loaded, same as before the refurbish, but perhaps previously, the rollers had the taper I speak about, and I didnt notice.

The picture shows the problem rollers. These are the rollers that tilt to the shape of the bow.When they do, the side of the roller catches on the strakes, at the bow.
The rollers need to be where,they are adjusted, in the pic, so as to support the boat, when loaded.
Apparently, you can buy rollers, that dont have the square edge, and they roll over the strakes at the bow,easier.
David

griz066
19-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Just a thought mate what about removing the 2 front rollers there are 10 under each side now. I am not sure that the front ones are needed for support as it looks very well supported by the rest.

Looking at my trailer it has only 4 rollers each side and 4 in the centre that replaces the rear keel roller and it rides perfectly, even over 4x4 tracks.

My thoughts.

Roughasguts
19-12-2006, 08:39 PM
So did you have this trouble before you refurbed the trailer ?

What did you add if anything, or did you change anything.

dnej
19-12-2006, 09:36 PM
Every thing was put back identically. However, the old rollers, may have had the taper on the edge of them.
It is the rear rollers in the picture, that cause the problem, as they are the first to load the bow, and the square edges, wont crawl over the strakes, like they should.

We will have to have a look at what rollers are available.
The boat is still be loaded at the same depth, as previously. However, going deeper, does lessen the problem, but we shouldnt have to cover the axle.
Regards David

dnej
19-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Ok , found the roller we should use.You can see the rounded edge, and this apparently, wont catch on the strake, as it will ride over same.
David

Roughasguts
19-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Oh Okay heres me thinking it was the most forward rollers giving you grief.

Yeah that there boat is high on the trailer and would need a good dunking.

But I do stick me trailer in fairly deep, so the bow floats clear of the bottom rollers.
But I figure once the hubs are covered.
Well you can't do any more damage.