PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Sterndrives in 6-7 m plateys

Gio
22-10-2006, 05:29 PM
: Hey all

Just shoehorned a Mercruiser 1.7 MS 120 turbo diesel into my 20+ year old 6m Starboat platey,shes only done 6.5 hours on the new donk (for 40lt). Does anyone have a comparable set up and what sort of economy/performance are you achieving? The mass of mine on water is around 1500Kg, have not been able to top her out yet due to run in restrictions. getting 17-18 knts at 3300rpm (3/4 throttle).

Chhers Gio

Gio
13-12-2006, 02:52 PM
Okay so nobody has a similar set up!!

Maybe after reading this you will want one.

First long trip 230 km overnight in a 6m boat with all the gear, 250 lt fuel, 50 lt water 50 kgs of ice and an 80lt Waeco on the way out, add 60-70 kg fish on the way home cruised at 18-22 knots all weekend for an all up fuel burn of 86 litres thats almost 2.7 km per litre. This engine has done 20 hours, cant wait to see the economy once she loosens up and I drop the fuel load to 150 lts and I havn't messed around with propping or fuel flow monitoring yet either. Just for the record she tops out at 31 knots at 4400 rpm.

Its would appear that it is a new age for sterndrives in 6-7 m boats.

sid_fishes
13-12-2006, 05:50 PM
can you supply pics of your boat/ motor setup. just very interested thanks ian

No_Tiller
13-12-2006, 06:13 PM
G'day Gio,
Is it one of the new common rail diesels? Fantastic economy. 120 HP seems not a lot of power for a 6m. Must be a good planing hull? Is it going through a leg or straight shaft driven. With fuel prices these days anything to help has to be considered.
Regards Brett

saurian
13-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Gio , sounds like you'll be fishing more out wide than the others.
Sounds like a match in heaven.
I have heard 9 litres/hr for 117 merc is par for the course loaded.
Not sure for your setup though , this was twins.
Anyway envious of your economy , nothing wrong with w.a stars either.
Ta.

youngfisho
14-12-2006, 08:20 AM
Isnt diesel hp a continuous hp rating, and besides, a 120 turbo diesel would have a shed load more torque than any two or four stroke petrol. Previously a 120hp would weigh far too much to even be worthwhile in a boat this size but they have dropped the weight and increased performance and as far as economy goes you cant beat em. Just that the cost of a diesel is almost twice that of a similar hp petrol.

andrew

Noelm
14-12-2006, 08:36 AM
just off tack a bit, I always wondered why someone has never 'fooled" around with Subaru engines for sterndrives, because they are flat, maybe they could be fully under the floor of a 6 to 7 metre fishing boat, and then you have the best of both worlds (sort of) a fully flat floor to the transom (not available with a V8 or 6) and no pod out the back, and no water over the engine dramas as with outboards.

Gio
14-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Hey all

I will try to get some pics organised in the near future (perhaps my old Techie mate Shonky1 can help me with those), the engine is the 117 merc that Saurian mentions. Its sold as a Cummins Mercruiser Diesel (1.7 MS 120) puts out 120 at the crank and 116 at the prop or so I am told (through an Alpha sterndrive) . As Andrew said I think the torque is the secret, the boat was originally equipped with a merc 120hp petrol Alpha combo which struggled with the load spinning a 15 pitch prop, the diesel spins a 19 pitch with apparent ease. The entire new drive fan belt to prop weighs 296 kgs which is 10 more than the old one and cost a touch around 21K including controls and hydraulic steering. Installation involved new engine mounts and two extra 5/8 holes in the transom as the new transom assembly had 8 holes instead of 6 everthing else just matched up. I admit it is no speed machine topping out at 31 knots but cruising at around 20 is what I do and it seems 12-13 ltrs/hr is the economy at those speeds. Hull is an old 6m starboat from WA HEAVY plate aluminium 15-16 degress pitch at transom and not overly beamy for its length.

Cheers John (Gio)

_Dan_
14-12-2006, 03:40 PM
There is a Homemade platey on the tweed river that has a big inboard engine in it, i havent seen it up close but it gets up and moves and seems to sit really well in the water.

Cheers

Dan

Deiter
15-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Gio, the deisel in a 7 odd metre platey is something i am aiming for. Won't happen overnight, but it will happen.
Deisel economy and fish raising properties - can't beat 'em.
That's b4 mentioning reliability, engine life, and safety.

I say safety because if i had the choice, i would rather carry around 200L of glorified cooking oil than unleaded.

interested to see any pics you have and how far she sits above deck height. :)

Damo

saurian
15-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Gio , 21 k , they are cheaper than when i looked, a few years ago.
I wanted to be able to cruise at 20 kn loaded and do 400 nautical mile trips of kimberleys. And still be able to light up the gas barby
without blowing up, with masses of fuel on board.
I went 4 stroke outboard in the end and never blew up.
My top speed was 29 kn so sounds like a similar breed .
But i cruised for 17 lt/hr at 18 knots loaded.
That price , i suppose the sterndrive was reused ??
Anyway not a bad way to go proven platey repower enjoy...
Ta

Kerry
15-12-2006, 07:06 PM
So are sterndrives, semi-regardless of power option feasible in small trailer boats these days?

Deiter
15-12-2006, 09:35 PM
So are sterndrives, semi-regardless of power option feasible in small trailer boats these days?

As per usual Kerry, you are getting at something but not letting on what it is. Pls, what is your point with this statement???? :-? :-?

For the record, as far as i am concerned, yes, viable option. :-* and getting better.

Damo :)

saurian
16-12-2006, 12:18 AM
Kerry , haggle something else ....
READ above about gio's setup .
No it's not a cat.
No it's not a new age outboard .
No it's not on a gooseneck.
No it's not on your keyboard.
And if you really knew there are lots of 6m plateys with inboards , repeat lots& lots ......
In otherwords PISS OFF....
Ta..

saurian
16-12-2006, 12:26 AM
Kerry , MERCRUISER.

It's not a new concept.
Ta

Deiter
16-12-2006, 05:58 AM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

redspeckle
16-12-2006, 06:05 AM
Gio,
I own a Star Boat my is a Cuddy Cab with the extended pod on the back totals to 5.8m in length and power by a V4 90hp stroke outboard and carry 120 litres of fuel (its a great boat for the Moreton Bay and Offshore) a heavy plate boat too
I can't wait to see yours and a interesting read on diesel inboard why didn't go for a 4 stroke outboard 115 hp fitted $15,568 or a E Tec 2 stroke $14,851 instead spending $21,000 ? might save about 5 to 6 grand that's a lot of petrol money their for fishing trips
Photos below of my Star Boat
Mitch

redspeckle
16-12-2006, 06:08 AM
And another photo
Mitch

Kerry
16-12-2006, 08:07 AM
Come on you lot get out of the gutter! The query is fairly straight forward and not a lot of words either #::)

Lets face it the answer differs if asked of a commercial operation or a recreational boat as if you don't understand this then you don't want to understand.

There was an era where stern drives were about the only option but hey it is 2006 not the 70's.

So get your mind in gear, your head out in the sunshine and talk sense instead of sh$t!

So does the initial purchase cost, maintenance costs, repair costs (sterndrives, especially with regard to diesels and especially used in a recreational environment), additional weight, space reduction etc etc justify the viable use of diesel sterndrives.

Oh saurian you might want to outline your sterdrive experiences between your mindless attitude attacks. And saurian mercruiser is a very limited vocabulary, but I suppose you at least spelt it right. But hey don't limit yourself, what about BMW, OMC, Volvo, Perkins etc etc ??? Maybe your not of the stern drive era #;) #

Regards, Kerry.
#

saurian
16-12-2006, 08:55 PM
I'm so glad history is your only defence Kerry.
Apart from the omc and volvo i think the majority of the rest would be mercruiser legs or shaft,jets etc......
Being a sandgroper I grew up around star,penguin,westerberg,coraline,genesis,ocean pearl, gbb, fine entry, hamptons seaquest etc........
These are plate boats and lots of them especially the 6.5m and above early ones all had sterndrives because 2 strokes where a bit like you Kerry , a pain in the stern literally.
Also most recrational fisho's would do 18/30 miles at the most to go gamefishing off the trench or after dhuies.
The pros, well crayfish off lancelin,ledge point cervantes etc...They didn't use outboards either.
Anyway ,Ive fished in quite a few of these non outboard powered boats
and i understand the pro's & cons for them.
But you Kerry wouldn't do enough hours a year in any boat to justify the
purchase of a sterndrive.
I wonder if they make them now with a keyboard attached then Kerry you could really be in your element.
Ta.

Kerry
16-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Say Saurian does your tail wag when you bark?

Kerry
16-12-2006, 09:07 PM
I'm so glad history is your only defence Kerry.
Apart from the omc and volvo i think the majority of the rest would be mercruiser legs or shaft,jets etc......
Being a sandgroper I grew up around star,penguin,westerberg,coraline,genesis,ocean pearl, gbb, fine entry, hamptons seaquest etc........
These are plate boats and lots of them especially the 6.5m and above #early ones all had sterndrives because 2 strokes where a bit like you Kerry , a pain in the stern literally.
Also most recrational fisho's would do 18/30 miles at the most to go gamefishing off the trench or after dhuies.
The pros, well crayfish off lancelin,ledge point cervantes etc...They didn't use outboards either.
Anyway ,Ive fished in quite a few of these non outboard powered boats
and i understand the pro's & cons for them.
But you Kerry wouldn't do enough hours a year in any boat to justify the
purchase of a sterndrive.
I wonder if they make them now with a keyboard attached then Kerry you could really be in your element.
Ta.

So Saurian do you want to actually talk or simply talk sh$t?

Lets hope you sand groupers have fixed some of your badly designed hulls, like the ones with no stringer cutouts to let water actually run out where it's supposed too #:-X end result corrode the bottom out quicker than the annual 12 month reweld could keep up.

Then there's the Cats that failed east coast survey, some people picked these up for a song, 7m Cats, engines done only 7 hours and all because they couldn't pass survey as a rescue vessell, lets hope you lot have raised your game #::)

saurian
16-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Now to answer the bit your trying to get at Kerry .
I have only once priced up a new diesel sterndrive package in a new recreational boat.
It was going to cost $ 38,000 FOR STERNDRIVE DEISEL.
$ 12.500 FOR 4 STROKE .
I chose the 4 stroke .
And yes you have a valid point as to technical advances in all propulsion
forms , but Gio just wanted to talk about his new pride and joy 117 merc.
Not go off haggling the pros & cons of sterndrives versus/outboards etc...
Think KERRY.....
Ta.

Kerry
16-12-2006, 09:13 PM
And that was exactly my question Saurian, is in fact a diesel sterndrive (or any sterdirve for that matter) a viable option in a recreational boat, TODAY!

This was a question saurian not something for you to carry on about with your sh$t attitude!

Regards, Kerry.

saurian
16-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Kerry ,your backside must be shining now or is it just you smiling.
Survey , well anything thats not built in queensland or nsw is from a different country , isn't it ????
Plate boats yes the ones with stringers , evolved from people learning.
All industries have learning curves etc .....
All industries have ripoff merchants as well....
Which one was it ?????
The state thing, well if you have been over the so called dividing range i would be very surprised indeed.
Get off your chair and have a look around this great country of ours,
there are lots of places to go and lots of different places to fish.
Also there are many a fisho who could show all of us a thing or two.
Kerry if you do go , do not talk down towards the northerners as you
might be sitting on your smiler again.
Ta.

Kerry
16-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Ah so you have heard about the ar$e end falling out of some certain sandgroper boats, bit of a bugga that one, hey ;) yet such a simple fix!

Actually some of the best alloy boats built were hartley's, built by people who adopted smart aluminium methods to wooden boat designs and guess what they even knew that the water has to run out the little hole in the back ;D

Hartley 8-) bit before your time :-?

saurian
16-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Yep, no hartley fan here.
History your only defence.
Ta.

Kerry
16-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Don't need a defence but background lacking is something you need to work on ;D

saurian
16-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Nice talking to you Kerry.
Catch up tomorrow night ...
Ta.

Kerry
16-12-2006, 10:15 PM
Yeah gotta go too ;D

BaysideMarine
16-12-2006, 10:22 PM
Evening Kerry....

saurian
16-12-2006, 10:25 PM
BM , he's not happy ....
lol lol........

BaysideMarine
16-12-2006, 10:31 PM
So I noticed.... I cannot help but wonder if he is (or was) Maxw on the Fishnet forum site.

Very similar behaviour and posting approach.

Cheers,

Nicholas

saurian
16-12-2006, 10:40 PM
Not sure , but he is a boat dictionary , with no practical sense.
Great fun at times .
Annoying at most times.
But always wants the last say.
lol...lol....

Gio
18-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Is a diesel sterndrive a viable option in a 6-7 m boat??

Mercruiser 1.7 MS120/Alpha drive (NEW) around $21,000 (still available from my supplier), installation of transom assembly and engine done by a mate with my assistance (read a lot of assistance) $500.00, engine alignment, drive installation and on water commissioning by local Mercruiser dealer $1500 (warranty applies)

Total 23k or more like 25k without my mate.

150-175 Hp 4 stroke to achieve equivalent load carrying capacity $20,000 (yes I know it would go faster than 30 knots flat out), fill in the floor including 100lt fuel tank to achieve comparable max range $1500 min, Pod for the out board motor $3,000 min

Total 24.5k

A viable alternative? Yes if you are repowering a craft which has a 4-6 cyl petrol sterndrive (especially a Mercruiser) or building a new boat and are not that concerned about how fast it will go flat out but would love a 500 km range from 200lt of fuel and half your old fuel bill, for me the choice was easy.

A comparo on this diesel/drive against a 3.0 lt 135 Mercruiser and 135 Optimax in identical 22ft Trophy walkarounds is available at
http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoors/boating/1277216.html?page=1

Cheers John (Gio) ;D

Noelm
18-12-2006, 12:23 PM
geees I think something went over my head here, or I did not read something somewhere, whats the go with Kerry and Saurian??? sounds like they must be old friends/enemies??

Kerry
18-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Then let me explain Noelm :)

This was my simple query/question regarding the subject

Then you get this knuckle head arogrant mouth full of absolute sh$t from wacks like saurian, which has absolutely nothing to do with the subject but some weak livered bad mannered response, obviously had his nose rubbed in some discussion before and come off second best so at every opportunity decides to try and attempt smart ar$e ill conceived swipes.

Saurian

Kerry , haggle something else ....
READ above about gio's setup .
No it's not a cat.
No it's not a new age outboard .
No it's not on a gooseneck.
No it's not on your keyboard.
And if you really knew there are lots of 6m plateys with inboards , repeat lots& lots ......
In otherwords PISS OFF....
Ta..

So there you go Noelm, my response to the ########'s useless comments :-X

saurian
18-12-2006, 01:28 PM
lol ... lol.....
Noelm , thread started off about gio's 117 merc sterndrive setup, sweet.
Kerry as usual butts in and trys to alter the subject.
I get annoyed by his tactics.
But this is how he operates.
Baited questions, and the thread as per lots of Kerry's butt ins
gets shall i say heated and totally off the subject ie; 117 merc & gio.
I'm not one to hold back on a good old slanging match and i suppose Kerry isn't either.
But I'm still smiling.
Ta.

Kerry
18-12-2006, 01:33 PM
At least John (Gio) has given his outlined justification and respectable reply to the query. This is simply what one expects and most appreciate with simple query's but one can't say this for some of the other bad mannered morons.

saurian
18-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Gio , we are a bad mannered bunch aren't we.
Anyway sounds like the 117 will breath new life into the old girl.
Wish i had your fuel bill ...
Ta.

Kerry
18-12-2006, 01:39 PM
lol ... lol.....
Noelm , thread started off about gio's 117 merc sterndrive setup, sweet.
Kerry as usual butts in and trys to alter the subject.
I get annoyed by his tactics.
But this is how he operates.
Baited questions, and the thread as per lots of Kerry's butt ins
gets shall i say heated and totally off the subject #ie; 117 merc & gio.
I'm not one to hold back on a good old slanging match and i suppose Kerry isn't either.
But I'm still smiling.
Ta.

When you start justifying your comments with substance instead of your gutter garbage then feel free to discuss anything you like but leave your stinking ignorant attitude at the door.

saurian
18-12-2006, 01:44 PM
Substance ??? Here we go again....
No I will not feed the animal this time.
Ta.

Noelm
18-12-2006, 02:33 PM
holy crap, I started 'em off again! I reckon keyboards at 20 paces for these two, or maybe stern drives at 10 paces. or maybe a 'kiss and make up" ( I suppose that is out of the question)

PinHead
18-12-2006, 04:34 PM
holy crap, I started 'em off again! I reckon keyboards at 20 paces for these two, or maybe stern drives at 10 paces. or maybe a 'kiss and make up" ( I suppose that is out of the question)

LOL Noel..just keep ya fngers away from the keyboard.

redspeckle
18-12-2006, 09:06 PM
Gio
I still like See the photos of this Star Boat you have :-? be looking forward seeing it being a Star boat owner myself (already posted my star boat up) and [smiley=dankk2.gif] explaining why didn't go for outboard for it and re-power with inboard motor instead

Mitch :)

Deiter
19-12-2006, 12:46 AM
Then you get this knuckle head arogrant mouth full of absolute sh$t from wacks like saurian, which has absolutely nothing to do with the subject but some weak livered bad mannered response, obviously had his nose rubbed in some discussion before and come off second best so at every opportunity decides to try and attempt smart ar$e ill conceived swipes. #

Sorry Kessa, gotta laugh at that one. Can you tell me, are you Pot or Kettle??? You have gotta be the "change the subject, baited question, start an arguement" king :)

Not saying anyones' (Saurian or yourself) any better or worse than the other, but don't whinge when you get some of your own back, ya big sook. Now if everyone could just stick to things you know and keep the crap for elsewhere...we're not interested. Start a new thread if thats your angle.

Anyhow, Gio, love to see some pics mate, forget the sideshow. Also interested as to my q's earlier in the thread about engine height/size above deck.

Cheers n' beers

Damo

Homer_Jay
19-12-2006, 06:57 AM
Heres one for someone with the right boat.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mercruiser-1-7-Turbo-Diesel-Engine_W0QQitemZ290062476036QQihZ019QQcategoryZ264 51QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gotta love those fuel figures Gio, i bet your as happy as a pig in the proverbial

Sportfish_5
19-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Funny part about all the sniping about Kerry is if you blokes actually did some research and tried to find out a little about who he is and what he has written you would realize that he does know his stuff regardless of whether you like/dislike how he comes across in the forum. Newbies ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Give it a break - it is only a fishing forum and sometimes I have my doubts about that ;D

Gio
19-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Hey Mitch nice to come across another starboat owner I fear that they are becoming somewhat thin on the ground, my old girl is 5.9 w/o the bowsprit and no pod so maybe a little bigger than yours hence the extra power required (and we tend to carry big loads along way in the NT). Aren't they just tough as boats, they sure do know how to build them in WA even way back when. Damo I will try to get some pics up this w/end so check back, the engine bay does intrude but I have made the best of it, you could do a lot better today with some engineer input then starboat did 20 years ago. Saurian and Kerry thanks for the entertainment this may have been just another boring boat/engine post without you guys.

Cheers Gio :o ;D :o #

saurian
19-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Nah Gio , thank Kerry .
I just love your idea of a boat .
20 knots come hell or 1.5 m chop.
I'm from Kimberleys and understand the distances involved.
Good to see a boat getting used and life lived.
Ta.

saurian
19-12-2006, 10:16 PM
And as for you kerry piss off.

saurian
19-12-2006, 11:21 PM
Bump , bump , snad literally

saurian
19-12-2006, 11:22 PM
Bump, bump, snag literally , thats it.
Ta