PDA

View Full Version : breaking down in brand new boat

dropshot66
18-12-2006, 08:34 PM
hey guys

got my new hornet 435 with a 40hp etec and went out on the water yesterday and the whole boat shut itself down and was stuck on the water for 7 hrs waiting for the tied to change and craw back usesing my electric.................. this boat is brand new and was the frist time on the water.............
it seemed liek the fuse on the etec shut the whole boat down and i had nothing.......
the boat dealer has the boat now and they say they have fixed the problem should i get up them about it................

what everyones thoughts

ta dropshot

Scalem
18-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Bummer about breaking down dropshot,

My view is that even a new boat can go through a few teething issues. I think you need to preserve the relationship with your dealer you bought it from, if you intend to bring it back for warranty services. There's no point in getting stuck into them if they offer a good explaination as to why it happened. ( so it does not ever happen again)

If it didn't cost you any money, only 7 hours of inconvenience, then I would leave it.

I, on the other hand, have an issue about my new boat trailer that I will have to get nasty about if I can't get any satisfaction, but that's another story ( in the boating section if it interests you)

Scalem

dropshot66
18-12-2006, 08:55 PM
thanks mate

yeah thats what i was thinking, best to stay good with them i think but man i was pissed

thanks dropshot

Wayne_Red
18-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Hi dropshot
What a let down it must have been on your new boat. I think all boats, new and old, take a good few runs once you have bought them to earn their reliability before you have full confidence in them.
You have had a small problem that will probably be fixed easily but it will take a few trips to be fully confident in your motor again.
No need to take it out on the dealer, i am sure he wishes you zero problems. I agree with scalem.

It will probably be the last problem you have for years.
Regards Wayne

choppa
18-12-2006, 09:00 PM
dropshot,,,just a query that i'm sure a number of members will be thinking,,

mobile phone,,,two way,,and did you sign on to vmr before you departed??????

7 hours stuck on the water in the good old sun can dampen anyones day,,, but i just thought you may have had a few options

griz066
18-12-2006, 09:06 PM
Let it slide dude, don't burn your bridges just yet 8-) 8-)

dropshot66
18-12-2006, 09:13 PM
choppa

was just in the estuary mate and yes did have mobile phone, in which i was intouch with the dealers machanic. but the mobile phone wasn't going to drive my boat to a boat ramp so i coul dget it out of the water.. i did have the coast guards drive past me but at that stage wasn't prepared to pay for them to tow me back when i knew i could get back on the tied...

yes 7hrs was very long but saved a few bucks i looked at it

hey thanks guy svery much on your comments, yeah going to take a few trips to get my confidence back with the boat, but feel better that u guys have been nice anoth to understand my thoughts

thanks heaps
dropshot

sempre
18-12-2006, 09:33 PM
Look on the bright side , at least your next trip ( hopefully ) wont be as bad ;D ;D

Sam...

brettski3
18-12-2006, 09:38 PM
coastguard is a voluntary donation, and the dealer had better do some fast talking, sometimes you gotta be heard.

Sportfish_5
18-12-2006, 09:45 PM
Bloody ETECS ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

choppa
18-12-2006, 09:55 PM
well at least you got back dropshot,,,

i didn't mean any offence in my post mate,,,, when you state that you took it out for a run that could have been any where,,,and generally,, 7 hrs waiting for a tide to tun in my mind i thought you may have crossed a bar or something and was waiting for quiter water to gt the electric to power you across,,

as brett stated,,coastgaurd are a voluntary donation,,,and i think if they were aware of your dilemna with a brand new boat they may have come to your assistance with some advice/help to get you back to shore a bit quicker,,,,,,

sorry if i seemed to be picky,,, i wasn't

choppa

DR
18-12-2006, 09:59 PM
i think i would have taken the tow, got a receipt & handed it to the dealer with the expectation of some sort of compensation.. 8-)

gunnabuild1
18-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Ouch that would take the shine off a new boat real quick.
Hope thats the last problem you have with it.

5cougarsthanx
18-12-2006, 10:28 PM
Hey Dropshot,
Did the dealer do a water test prior to you taking ownership of your new pride and joy.The only reason i ask is i have heard of so many new boats that are not water tested and end up back at the dealer for one reason or another when it all could have been avoided by prior on water testing.Thats my 2 bobs worth any way.Hope you get back on the water soon.
Cheers
Cougarman

mickc
18-12-2006, 11:46 PM
Don't rely on the coastguard being voluntary donation. Needed to use them a few months back to get back from Mud to the boat passage ramp.Wasen't given any option wastold thats $168 thanks. Ohh havn't got that much cash well then a credt card will do.Didn't even offer membership with it.

mick

disorderly
19-12-2006, 12:00 AM
Do you still pay full price for a tow if you are a member of coastguard?

Cheers Scott

wayne_cook
19-12-2006, 12:04 AM
saved fuel on the return trip, ;D

Feral
19-12-2006, 04:54 AM
If I could have got the dealer on the phone, at a minimum I would have been expecting the dealer to arrange a tow.

Poodroo
19-12-2006, 06:17 AM
By all means let them know (in the nicest way possible) of how inconvenienced you were and if they have any form of decency they will try and uphold faith in the relationship with you by offering you some sort of compensation. But if not then still keep your cool because getting nasty will only result in a bit of lashback and sour grapes which will not help for future service. If they continually give bad service in the future then let them have it. ;)

Poodroo

seatime
19-12-2006, 07:17 AM
Don't rely on the coastguard being voluntary donation. Needed to use them a few months back to get back from Mud to the boat passage ramp.Wasen't given any option wastold thats $168 thanks. Ohh havn't got that much cash well then a credt card will do.Didn't even offer membership with it.

# mick

fair dinkum, I thought it was a voluntary donation too. I'm an active member of a VMR unit and we don't demand payment. We get details of their address and send an invoice, if they pay, great, if they don't, tough.
Maybe the rules have changed in the last couple of months?

That's bad luck with the breakdown. I water tested my new rig before buying, then on the first run it needed a small adjustment and they fixed it straight away. Not a problem since. Keep in good with dealer if they can provide the back-up service.
Have they found the fault?

Edencraft
19-12-2006, 01:26 PM
I am also an active member of the VMR and we never demand payment and would never leave someone who could not afford to pay. Before you have a go at rescue organisations we get very little support from local or state government and our fuel bill to run 3 boats is normally over $1200 a week. How do we pay for the fuel, other than donating our time to do rescue duties 1 day and night every 3 weeks we have to go and sell raffle tickets at pubs, clubs and shows ussually one night every 2 weeks. A few dollars to the VMR when they give you a hand is a small payment for the peace of mind that they provided the entire boating comunity.

wessel
19-12-2006, 01:44 PM
Sorry to hear about what happened to you though Choppa. Very unfortunate mate. Do you have any idea as to what the problem was in the end that caused all this to happen?

Wessel

kleyny
19-12-2006, 03:39 PM
168 bucks is good to get a tow in that sort of distance.
the price of fuel and up keep would be huge i would imagine. so to pay for the service is only the done thing in my book ;)

when was the last time you got a tow from a tow truck without them demanding money ;D ;D same thing just land based

and if they did "demand" money im sure they had good reason.

thats my 2 cents or would that have to be 5 cents now :D

PinHead
19-12-2006, 04:07 PM
not good with the boat on its first run however I would dewfinitely have taken the tow. I pay my $50 per annum membership..gives me free tows...got stuck on some mud..called for the Coast Guard boys..they duly arrived..got me off..would have cost me nothing but I gave em $50 anyway as a donation..not much but just a thank you for their efforts. The $50 per annum I spend with them is the best money I spend boating all year.

Plus..I certainly do not have the patience to wait 7 hours for the tide to turn.

finga64
19-12-2006, 04:42 PM
not good with the boat on its first run however I would dewfinitely have taken the tow. I pay my $50 per annum membership..gives me free tows...got stuck on some mud..called for the Coast Guard boys..they duly arrived..got me off..would have cost me nothing but I gave em $50 anyway as a donation..not much but just a thank you for their efforts. The $50 per annum I spend with them is the best money I spend boating all year.

Plus..I certainly do not have the patience to wait 7 hours for the tide to turn.
Good call matey.
Amases me the number of boats that are not members of VMR's.
I became a gold member mainly to give some money to the VMR and for some peace of mind.
I hope I never need them but I reckon the membership is worth every cent just for the ability to log on and off with someone and for doing radio checks

stevedemon
19-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Hi dropshot66
mate bad luck on the first run hopefully the dealer has fixed the problem for Xmas

mate as stated before cost for V.M.R is Peace of mind for
Gold Member $66.00 # #Pension?Seniors Member $60.50

Associate member $55.00 # # Pension/Seniors members $49.50

mate for the extra $11.00 give you the extra coverage from the Gold Coast to Bribie Island

but i also think it depends on which V.M.R you join as to how far and the area of coverage ask your local V.M.R or Coast Guard is the best way

much better than paying $125.00 per hr being towed this starts from the time they leave port or the jetty to the time they drop you off

hope your next trip is a better one and have a merry Xmas all

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-) #

Poseidon
19-12-2006, 07:05 PM
I would be expecting the first service for free, let 'em know that 7 hours sitting in the sun equals 12 months of free service.

Regards Cameron.

Richo1
20-12-2006, 08:34 PM
Had exactly the same thing happen to me when I first got my boat, jumped in headed out to Fitzroy Island had a great t :-/ time until the trip home! 1 Cylinder and four knots for 5 hours. very sunburnt and one very cranky girlfriend. She didn't want to come fishing with me after that :D Had a bit of plastic in the carby!

Like scalem says, dosen't matter in they are new or second hand you still need to run them in. Drove a 2.3 million dollar boat last year that broke down on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd seatrial after launching :o

Well done in getting yourself home, so many people rely on someone else to bail them out!

Regards,

Richo

moreton
20-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Dropshot the cost of the tow back should be refunded by the boat seller. They have warranty. I think there name should be shamed on this site if they don't.
I'm sure that you all consider it to be fair that the Coastguard charge for a tow back to safety.
Regards Ian