PDA

View Full Version : Allison 244 Ocean Angler

MICHAELG
18-12-2006, 08:42 AM
I've read previous posts on Allison boats but nobody has mentioned this particular boat, just after any feedback

michael

Noelm
18-12-2006, 08:48 AM
I am not a fan of Allisons, but I am sure there must be people here who are.

Smithy
18-12-2006, 10:08 AM
A bloke I have fished with asked the question to Peter Webster in a letter in F&B mag and got a pretty black and white opinion that the 244 needed a bit more work and there were better boats out there. Unusual for a magazine writer to put their head on the chopping block like that. There should be more of it. Starting to see a few around. There is a blue one getting around locally with a 250 Suzuki. Many years ago there was a blue on with twin 4 strokes that did a game comp called Osprey. There is one for sale at the moment with twin 4 strokes down in Tasmania for $100G or so in Boatpoint.

MICHAELG
18-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Thanks Smithy-
The reason i'm asking is a mate is selling his (getting another 1) and has offered it to me, I'm not really interested (when my 480 fisher grows up next yr it'll be a 660 fisher) just curoius as to why you dont see many (allisons) around, are allison only a small manufacturer(can only produce a low numbers of boats in a year) as against mass production er C/Craft , Haines, Signature etc

I have been in it a few times and seems to handle ok

Black_Jack
18-12-2006, 10:56 AM
Michael

I have an Allison Vision 195. I am very happy with it, i find its very sea worthy.

The 195 rides and handles well.

I dont know much about the 244 ocean angler, looks like a big open boat.

Allison owners seem to keep there boats for a while maybe thats why you dont see heaps around on the second hand market...

but as with every boat everyone has there own ideas.

geoff

Kerry
18-12-2006, 12:02 PM
I'm not too sure what priority some put on their decision making with regards what they call good bad or indifferent?

As far as the 244 goes one would have to vote it ahead of any 680/702 type Haines in the sea capability stakes.

Smithy
18-12-2006, 01:25 PM
As far as the 244 goes one would have to vote it ahead of any 680/702 type Haines in the sea capability stakes.

They are not going to be very sea capable if they are setup wrong. That was the point Peter Webster was making. I am chasing his comments up. Will post or para-phrase what he had to say. Not too flattering.

Noelm
18-12-2006, 01:30 PM
not too sure how you measure "sea capability stakes" some row boats will have good "sea keeping capabilities" but some much larger boats can be real dogs, but, still be seaworthy, just crap to fish, drive, power, dive or whatever from, some baots, the only two Allisons I have been in where up there in the dog stakes, as far as running with the sea slightly on the aft.

Noelm
18-12-2006, 01:34 PM
hey by the way, this does not mean they were not seaworthy, I just think other boats are better in this regard, but it is my opinion only, some people, Allison owners perhaps, may take offence to what I said, but that is why we have these forums, to voice your opinions, especially when someone asks for it.

Black_Jack
18-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Noelm

I totally agree with you, everyone should voice there own opinion otherwise things would become very boring very fast, and thats what i like about this forum.

geoff

Kerry
18-12-2006, 01:49 PM
Noelm, It's even quite interesting based on people who have run both 680's and 244's over the same patch of ground.

As someone mentioned one does not see all that many 244's around for whatever reason that might be, but could have something to do with volume production and outlets for some manufacturers?

Regards, Kerry.

Kiktz
18-12-2006, 02:36 PM
As most are aware on here, I get out and about in the old mans
Vision 195 a bit. I must say it took me 2yrs of not alot of time on the water to say with out a question I know my boat. At First I was a lil strung up
on how to position the hull and the correst use of the trim tabs.

Now i love the boat have had her in real $h!tty conditions and she has proformed for me on every occasion with out question. I agree that there would be better boats out there........ But I ask when is there not a better
boat on the market. I can only comment on the Vision 195, I will say this though. If I could not own an Allision I would own a Fisher or a Cat.

Aj

G I tell ya Noel its good to see some being able to express an opion on what they think with out getting shot down.

DALEPRICE
18-12-2006, 05:13 PM
gday micheal g,

another allison 19'5 owner here, been using the boat out at
caloundra wide and beyond for the last 2 years. hull and motor
is a 94 model and in my oppinion would ride like a different boat
to the 24 foot model.

noelm, as smithy says it all comes down to setup and how
the boat is driven, any boat handles like a dog if you drive it to hard.

Smithy
19-12-2006, 08:32 AM
From Peter Webster of F&B mag.

Thanks for re-sending the letter - and yes, it was one of the ones we lost. I remembered it straightaway, as I hadn't answered it right off, 'coz I wanted to go back and re-read the original test we conducted on the Allison 244 back in 1995 - F&B Issue #12. I've just done that, and before I comment about the engines, I am wondering about the 2006 version of the 244 - and whether anybody ever changed the transom set-up. When we tested it, it had a single engine 'pod' hanging off a regular "sterndrive" transom. Apart from being a dreadful thing to fish around (as the engine was sticking up like King Dick way behind the back of the boat) the performance of the pod-equipped 244 in the seaway was so bad, we scrubbed the offshore test. The problem was all about the pod - not the boat, but if they are still making the 244 the way they did in 1995, I wouldn't want to see you invest your hard-earned in such a rig. I've attached a couple of file pics to help you get this sorted in your mind.

Re the big 4-stroke engines. This issue is about props, props and props. If these big 4-strokes are fitted with the same sort of props people have used for last 20 years with 2-strokes, the result can be a disaster. Two-strokes have a torque curve that is damn near vertical once the boat has started to move, and then whammo, the power comes in hard. The four strokes, being based largely on car engines - have a torque curve that is almost flat, at about 45° across the graph. With standard or regular 2-stroke type props, it's like trying to wind up a rubber band.

The moral is simple: before you buy, have a good talk to Cliff Arnold at Yamaha in Brisbane and Greg Haines (or Ryan Lloyd) at Haines Suzuki Marine in Brisbane too, and get their latest input on propping these big 4-strokers. Then, having taken that intelligence onboard, sit down with Steve Evans at Solas Props, and explain the problem.

Assuming they've changed the Allison 244 transom/pod set-up, and you are going ahead with the deal, I suspect you'll end up with a four blader - possibly even a five blader in this bar-work situation - that will provide the stern lift you are going to need, and the ability to spin-up the revs really fast - 2-stroke fast! Of the two engines in your research, I'd favour the bigger Suzuki 250hp 4-stroke V-Tec outboard at the moment. I love the big Yammy's smoothness, power and economy, but the Suzy has V-Tec (variable valve timing) and more capacity (3,614cc vs the Yamaha's 3,352cc) - but it's the V-Tec that gets it past the post, especially for offshore work. You have really got to try it out in some heavy stuff to appreciate how important this new technology is in outboard engines - and yes, that includes Honda's V-Tec, too.

I'd be prepared to sacrifice a little top end speed in favour of the 'hit-in-the-guts' acceleration that you need, too. Getting out of the hole in the crucial 15-20 knot zone is far more important than pulling down the 40 knots you'll never use at sea.

The good news? Well, in the 1995 test of the Allison 244 W/Around powered by a 225 Merc Offshore outboard, we set a new fuel consumption record - the Mercury 225 using an awesome 103 l/ph at WOT.

I guess that's why we started to get very serious about 4-strokes !

GBC
19-12-2006, 01:20 PM
I looked at these when exploring boats this size a few years ago (before kids!!). They are mainly built for pros etc. There is no timber in the hull at all - all solid glass.

Each boat is ordered and built to the customer's requirements.

Pretty scathing comment there by P.W., but it is possible that a client wanted his boat set up that way? Can't imagine why though.

I was put in touch with a couple of pros who had them and they couldn't say enough good things about them (both diesel sterndrives), however I never got to ride in one so can't pass comment on the way they ride.

Basically I'd still investigate the option and drive the boat myself, cause if it runs good it'll last forever, and with 22 deg deadrise and a couple of tonne they should carve it up o.k.

C.J.

Kiktz
19-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Am I reading things funny Smithy, or was all that based on a hull that was Eleven years old?

Personally I think (and this isn't directed at you Smithy) That to write an
accurate report I think Peter Webster should get off his derriere and get out on the boat Today. I have nothing but high praise for Allison and I think like
most boat owners they go for what they know and and what they like.

I would love to hear from Allison owers if they would up grade to another
Allison or to another brand of boat????

I can't honestly being that much difference between the 195 and the 244.

Aj

Kerry
20-12-2006, 06:16 AM
1995? Yes that was quite a ways ago? Now not even these sites existed back then ;)

Noelm
20-12-2006, 07:10 AM
hey kiktz I know two people who have had them and would never have another, including a pro Crabber who knows boats and driving, his was one of the "dogs I have been in, but I am sure there are lots who love them.

Black_Jack
20-12-2006, 07:58 AM
Kiktz

I would certainly consider buying another allison if i was in the market but if i was to up grade to another boat, i would be looking at a cruize craft or one of the cats.

Kiktz
20-12-2006, 10:55 AM
Hey Noel,
I know what our boat would run like with out Tabs. I just wonder
if these boats were tested with or with out tabs. I would be the first to say and speaking of our own craft that it would run like a big dog with out tabs.

Black Jack,

I have been out on my mates 7m cat a few times and I would have one of
them firmly in my sites.

Merry Christmas All

Aj

Noelm
20-12-2006, 12:58 PM
the crabber did not have tabs , I have been in it lots of times, if you where sie onto the wind, it would just "SMACK" down on its side every wave, he had it for a year or so and got rid of it, ended up with an old 23 foot Haines, never looked back, the smaller one (I think 17 footish) had a similar problem, but it would 'fall" onto it's side, then zip off at right angles (almost) that was exciting I can tell you.

Kiktz
20-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Noel, Its sounds like Undie Marking Fun to Me.

Sportfish_5
20-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Gibbo

I have a July/August 04 edition of Australian Propeller magazine that has a 4 page test on the 244.
Drop me a PM with your email if you want me to scan a copy of it. Barry Tyler did the test and had only positive things to say but I don't think I have ever read one from him where he bags anything :-X :-X :-X

Sorry guys but that boat don't look any different than the one in Webster's test.

Cheers

Greg

screaming reels
09-07-2010, 06:07 PM
G'day guys, have been seriously considering an ocean angler 244 as my next upgrade, do like the sheer size of the deck area esp over the HH680 just reviving this post to see if anyone can contribute some more input since last post back 06. thanks Brent

chooky
10-07-2010, 03:37 PM
I have had a few trips out in an Ocean Angler 244 when I was considering buying one.
Ride was Ok but was disappointing for the size. Boat had Trim tabs and single Mercury 225 set up.
My overall impression was it was a boat not to buy.

BM
10-07-2010, 06:25 PM
A good mate of mine has a 244 and he is very happy with its performance overall. He has had many boats over the years both mono and multihull up to around 30ft.

He repowered around a year or 2 ago from twin 115 Johnos from memory to a single Optimax. Can't recall which engine but 200hp minimum. He did have some setup issues and prop issues and it was eventually resolved to be near perfect.

I think he has it up for sale presently (he and I are in Vic) and he is looking for a 34 Randell flybridge.

Cheers

EDIT: Just searched Boatpoint and found his ad.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=8204784

seahound
10-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Give Pat from Bluefin Sports at Rockhampton QLD a call.
He has, or had 12 mths ago, a 244.
I'm sure he had a single 250 yammy 4s on the stern.

Has had it for a while...owning a boat shop you'd reckon he'd know what he was doing...?!

I never been in it but he does some hard core fishing out of it covering big miles.