PDA

View Full Version : bubbles on paint work

timddo
20-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Got a few small bubbles appearing next to some stainless steels screws on the boat. it's aaroudn 6 months old. My delimea is travel and time.. Takes 1.5 hours to get to the dealer and will take two days to repair. The dealers has no problems. They will either fix it or a warranty job. But i heard you can do it yourself and it will save me a lot of time. towing the boat to the dealer and coming back ( which i don't have time - due to work commitements).

Has anyone got suggesting on how to fix the problem.

I was gonna sand it down and then spray etch primer , then paint and polish, apply duralac before puttting back the stainless screws. The bubbles only occur where the two metals are in contact.

Fuel up and back would be $50 times 2.

I got all the other stuff at home. so cost would be nothing???

_Dan_
20-12-2006, 02:08 PM
The problem in doing it yourself may void the warranty on the hull or the paint work on the hull. I know its a delema but it always pays t take it back and get them to do it, in the future if the same problem persists they will have to fix it again.

In the end its your boat and your decision.

Cheers

bay_firey
20-12-2006, 06:21 PM
I have to say I am with dan on this

If you do it yourself you will void the warranty on the paint at least.
I would be taking it back and have it repaired under warranty.

Did it with my poly when i had a small issue. bit over an hour each way to the factory but had the safety of not voiding warranty.

Just my opinion

Roughasguts
20-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Mate get the dealer to send the stuff up in a box, including instructions.
Should be no issue for them.

If you do the repair to the letter, should be good.

Be interesting to hear how they would prepare and paint the area.

jimbo59
20-12-2006, 07:35 PM
I doubt whether the dealer will have the facilities to touch-up the hull it's probably gunna go to the local spray/panel shop.

Don't do it yourself as the paint match will be out and it will cost 3 times as much to repair.

Kerry
20-12-2006, 08:02 PM
One really doesn't see this type of "paint bubbling" issue with unpainted alloy boats (and no not becasue they are unpainted but!) and that raises the question as to why?

So what does painting an alloy actually do? Make it look good? So what else? Absolutely not a dam thing apart from disguise and hide corrosion as it's very good at that.

All the talk about using marine grade 316 ss etc etc is also not all that smart in alloy boats as most 316 SS have a higher potential (more chance of galvanic corrosion) than non passive 304 types. Really it's not as simple as this.

Size does matter! and with galvanic corrosion principles simply putting a 316 screw into alloy does not really mean a thing as if the alloy surface is big enough then the alloy will/can/does eat the SS screw.

However with the number of complaints regarding paint bubbles, it really could be quite a few different things causing the issue.

Alloy is by no means pure these days and can contain quite a few contaminants. Cutting alloy with a steel hole saw introduces contaminates as does grinding stainless/alloy with the wrong disc.

So many variables to take into account but painting an alloy hull is not something I would do, a good man with grinding paste anyday over a paint job.

Regards, Kerry.

no_name
20-12-2006, 08:03 PM
DID YOU INSTALL THE SCREWS OR WERE THEY ALREADY FITTED WHEN YOU BOUGHT THE BOAT ?

wethooters
20-12-2006, 10:19 PM
I would ask dealer to send materials (touch up paint) and instructions then do it myself . I'd feel more confident of a good job rather than expecting someone to be reaaly fussy when they will not be getting paid for it.

If it is starting to blister around one or two screws I would pull all SS screws out and coat with Duralac. It is only a matter of time before the rest start the corrosion process.

blaze
20-12-2006, 10:21 PM
I am with Kerry here, the easiest way to look after a tinnie/ali boat is to let nature take its course. That unpolished powery finish is natures way of protecting ali.
I my mind I would take it back to the dealer to rectify and also ask them to isolate all the screws they have put in.
cheers
blaze

Deiter
20-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Timddo, can't help you at all as i know stuff all about ally and its painting procedures, but just for the record,i agree with Kerry here, and if i bought a new ally hull, i would leave it bare.
In your case, i would return the boat for repairs. More questions than answers, i can feel a new thread coming on :)

Damo

bootyinblue
21-12-2006, 01:43 AM
Mate,

Didnt see a reply there about whether you put the screws in or whether it was factory fitted.

If factory fitted then according to the letter of the law actually states that a consumer is not to be out of pocket for any expenses associated with warranty claims. So if you want to push the envelope, they will either have to come to you or pick up your boat and tralier and return it. Most commonly this refers to postage costs etc, but a boat is a bit big to stuff in a mail box.

Ohh and Kerry, how can an alloys be pure? As you quote Alloy is by no means pure these days and can contain quite a few contaminants

Alloy by its very name is a substance composed of 2 or more metals, whereas pure is unmodified by an admixture

Kerry
21-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Come on blue do I have to outline what a contaminant is? Looks like it!

As a generic (want explanation also blue) term pure in the context of the comment would sort of say to most understanding people there are no impurities or in the meaning of contaminant no foriegn material not normally associated with what most people expect to find in or that goies into making the different grages of alloy. Yes blue even alloy is a very very generic term! Will this also need to be explained?

No these days foriegn material can find its way into alloy from a variety sources and one of which is the tools people use to work the stuff, the tools people then turn around and use on other material also. You use a steel hole saw in alloy you will contaminate the alloy with material that isn't supposed to be in the alloy.

The first rule in working alloy is to at least use tools that have never been anywhere near any other material, otherwise you will induce contaminants, which of course one does not want in their boat, do they Blue? Why is this so Blue?

Have seen alloy sheet with traces of metal contaminants that could have only been introduced in the manufacturer. Alloy these dyas, depending on the source is not what it used to be.

Similar with machining grade steel, have seen a lathe almost hit the roof due to contamination, impurities (in the context this means not pure Blue!) which turned out to be a piece of imbedded lathe tool, yes blue scrap metal is re-used these days, including alloy. # #

Regards, Kerry.
#

bootyinblue
21-12-2006, 09:22 AM
Kerry,

You seem to bang on about virtually nothing in that entire posting. Apart from the amusement of a few spelling and grammatical errors there is nothing much of any substance there at all.

To re-cap.... An alloy is a blend of 2 or more metals and therefore by its very nature can no longer be refered to as pure. You have pure aluminium, you have pure magnesium... you combine them together and you have an alloy.

Or if you want more reference

Today almost all materials that claim to be aluminium are actually an alloy thereof. Pure aluminium is encountered only when corrosion resistance is more important than strength or hardness.

Old timer, I am starting to think that maybe you were the kid that got hit in the head with the chuck key from the lathe all those years ago.

BaysideMarine
21-12-2006, 09:22 AM
Frankly,

I think that anyone contemplating an alloy boat must also bear in mind that they are going to have problems with the paint bubbling regardless and it won't be able to be stopped.

And then they can look at the virtues of a fibreglass boat and wonder why they ever contemplated alloy... hehehe :) :)

Cheers

Kerry
21-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Kerry,

You seem to bang on about virtually nothing in that entire posting. Apart from the amusement of a few spelling and grammatical errors there is nothing much of any substance there at all.

To re-cap.... An alloy is a blend of 2 or more metals and therefore by its very nature can no longer be refered to as pure. You have pure aluminium, you have pure magnesium... you combine them together and you have an alloy.

Or if you want more reference

Today almost all materials that claim to be aluminium are actually an alloy thereof. Pure aluminium is encountered only when corrosion resistance is more important than strength or hardness.

Old timer, I am starting to think that maybe you were the kid that got hit in the head with the chuck key from the lathe all those years ago.

Go jump blue! i have never seen more pathetic petty picky, whinging, argumentative clowns as some of you lot.

If you don't understand the context of the points made then pity you [smiley=clown.gif]

Deiter
21-12-2006, 09:39 AM
Kerry, Booty, its fine if you don't agree, but the name calling only belittles you, or anyone else for that matter. Lets not have another hijacked thread, eh?

I think we understand your points.

Damo

bootyinblue
21-12-2006, 09:42 AM
The context of the point is that you are either not correct in the information you are posting or just post slanderous and attacking comments at other AusFish members for your own gratification.

Personally, I dont mind being grouped in the 'you lot' as I am almost postive 'us lot' think you are the pathetic, whinging clown. Or do I need to refer you back to the Patriot thread posted on this board to refresh your memory?

Oh, and by the way. A capital letter follows an exclamation mark, and I think you missed a couple of commas between your descriptive words.

timddo
21-12-2006, 09:45 AM
i'm pretty sure the mechanic is going to sand it down , spray etcher primer, and then paint with touch up paint. It's definitly a warranty claim, Everything i screw in i used duralac.

need to wait till next year to get it serviced + repaired.

Kerry
21-12-2006, 09:54 AM
Well Damo obviously some don't. And it's these types of irrelvant type clowns that couldn't even pick their nose that always appear to want to be in your face whinging for nothing more than whinging with some obvious real attitude problems.

When it comes down picking grammer in a forum like this, like what an absolute jerk and that's not name calling Damo that's simply be honest, don't you think so?

bootyinblue
21-12-2006, 09:58 AM
Kerry,

It appears you are trying to rally supporters to your cause... Not sure if it will work though.

Try and stick to the topic, be factual, resist the name calling and personal attacks and you might receive a more pleasant response in some of the threads.

Deiter
21-12-2006, 10:05 AM
Kerry, I wouldn't start throwing stones, if you know what i mean.

Damo

Kerry
21-12-2006, 01:40 PM
Well bluey I don't need to rally support in any way, I don't need too as I have enough confidence in what I say not to. Unlike a small core group of pack wolves who have this attitude of getting in people's faces at every turn.

I doubt it would matter what was said about anything as it is the likes of you bad blood lot that for some reason (only kown to yourselves) have a bone to pick and really this might even show your lack of confidence, group mentallity, safety in numbers, who knows, who cares what your problem is!

And the other interesting point is that I don't provoke but I do reply and then for some strange am hounded after the fact for having the hide to question your crap. So really not sure who is pally pally with who but the word hyprocrite comes to mind and obviously fits some of you types fairly well.

Fancy some of you lot preaching about topic, facts, personal attacks etc etc etc what an absolute hyprocritical attitude. Practice what you speak, loose the hyprocritical petty antogonistic attitude and if you think your are hard done by then whinge to someone else.

So yeah it is really a waste of time with the attitudes and vengence you lot appear to carry on your shoulder.

But if any of you lot or anybody else for that matter can put forward an instance where I personally attacked anybody in the first instance without reason then please feel free to put it forward.

If nobody can do that then I suggest you lot pull your heads in and practice what you preach.

This is your chance, put up or shutup, period.

Regards, Kerry.

_Dan_
21-12-2006, 01:58 PM
I still beleive its a warrantly claim and unless you know or are a qaulified spraypainter, i wouldnt suggest painting it yourself.

Why go the cheaper option on something that will not look good and may harm resale value in the future.

Cheers

Dan

stuart
21-12-2006, 02:01 PM
I'm wondering how this post could go from this first post to the last post in only 21 replies?

Stu

Got a few small bubbles appearing next to some stainless steels screws on the boat. it's aaroudn 6 months old. My delimea is travel and time.. Takes 1.5 hours to get to the dealer and will take two days to repair. The dealers has no problems. They will either fix it or a warranty job. But i heard you can do it yourself and it will save me a lot of time. towing the boat to the dealer and coming back ( which i don't have time - due to work commitements).

Has anyone got suggesting on how to fix the problem.

I was gonna sand it down and then spray etch primer , then paint and polish, apply duralac before puttting back the stainless screws. The bubbles only occur where the two metals are in contact.

Fuel up and back would be $50 times 2.

I got all the other stuff at home. so cost would be nothing???

Well bluey I don't need to rally support in any way, I don't need too as I have enough confidence in what I say not to. Unlike a small core group of pack wolves who have this attitude of getting in people's faces at every turn.

I doubt it would matter what was said about anything as it is the likes of you bad blood lot that for some reason (only kown to yourselves) have a bone to pick and really this might even show your lack of confidence, group mentallity, safety in numbers, who knows, who cares what your problem is!

And the other interesting point is that I don't provoke but I do reply and then for some strange am hounded after the fact for having the hide to question your crap. So really not sure who is pally pally with who but the word hyprocrite comes to mind and obviously fits some of you types fairly well.

Fancy some of you lot preaching about topic, facts, personal attacks etc etc etc what an absolute hyprocritical attitude. Practice what you speak, loose the hyprocritical petty antogonistic attitude and if you think your are hard done by then whinge to someone else.

So yeah it is really a waste of time with the attitudes and vengence you lot appear to carry on your shoulder.

But if any of you lot or anybody else for that matter can put forward an instance where I personally attacked anybody in the first instance without reason then please feel free to put it forward.

If nobody can do that then I suggest you lot pull your heads in and practice what you preach.

This is your chance, put up or shutup, period.

Regards, Kerry.

Roughasguts
21-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Mate the Stainless steel screws are the problem.

Stainless being far more noble a metal than the alloy. So when you have done your repair replace the screws with alloy ones sure they won't be as strong as stainlees but the fitting will only be as strong as the corroding alloy it's going in to. Stop the corrosion in the long run it will be stronger.

As far as any goo to put between the mis matched metals, that may slow down the process but won't eliminate it.

Salt moist air has a way of bridging any form of insulation regarding electrolosis. So in effect all your doing by insulating the metals then providing the electrolite, salt moist air, is making a battery, hence possibly more corrosion.

But yeah your method of re painting is sound.

Roughasguts
21-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Actually just wondering if you got a zinc block to stick inder the alloy, then screwed down your fitting bare metal to bare metal in to the zinc block using bolts insted of screws.

Then you have just made a sacraficial anode, and the zinc block will eat away before any thing else.

Kerry
21-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Actually just wondering if you got a zinc block to stick inder the alloy, then screwed #down your fitting bare metal to bare metal in to the zinc block using bolts insted of screws.

Then you have just made a sacraficial anode, and the zinc block will eat away before any thing else.

No would not recommend that at all. This is not an electrolysis issue as excessive and over use of anodes can create more of a problem. There is absolutely no reason why an alloy trailer boat requires any more anodes than already fitted to the engine.

Regards, Kerry.

BaysideMarine
21-12-2006, 06:14 PM
Buy a fibreglass boat and worry no more about your boat being a battery..... and corroding away....

disorderly
21-12-2006, 06:57 PM
I dont always agree with Kerry,but to take the p!ss outta him for spelling and grammatical errors on a fishing chat site is just p!ss weak.
Bootyinblue, it might be time to remove the stick from your a!se and actually try to offer some usefull advise to timddo(remember him.It was his post,asking for advise)

keep it real.
Cheers Scott

bootyinblue
21-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Cannot agree more Disorderly, and if you peruse some of my other posts in threads they are both informative and understandable, and hence I have posted comments such as Try and stick to the topic, be factual, resist the name calling and personal attacks and you might receive a more pleasant response in some of the threads.

I will not however stand there and let some bloke who thinks he can hide behind the anonimity of a keyboard and just hurle abuse at me.

And if you read more into his posts there is a verement dislike of a 'conspiracy theory' amongst 'us lot'

Deiter
22-12-2006, 08:42 AM
growl, snarl, hiss ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D