PDA

View Full Version : Boat driver charged after fatal river cruise

fishingjew
15-12-2006, 10:49 AM
A WOMAN has died after falling off a boat on the Gold Coast during a river cruise, and the boat's driver has been charged with drink driving.

The 46-year-old woman was one of seven people aboard the 10m boat which was cruising the Coomera River at Paradise Point last night.

A police spokesman said it was believed those on board did not see her fall but began searching for her after noticing her disappearance about 10.30pm (AEST).

She was pulled from the water within about 15 minutes, but died soon after.

Police are investigating what caused the woman to fall from the boat.

A post mortem is yet to be held, but its believed the woman suffered injuries consistent with hitting propeller blades.

Officers have charged the boat's driver with drink driving after a breath test allegedly revealed his blood alcohol level to be .174 per cent - more than three times the legal driving limit.

He has been charged with driving a vessel whilst under the influence of liquor and will appear in Southport Magistrate's Court on January 4.

Where is common sense alcohol boats and water don,t mix its sad to see something like this so close to xmas a life ruined so take care and have a happy xmas not a sad one

Russell ;)

Argle
15-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Big boat - little brain = senseless waste of a life :(

DaMaGe
15-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Sounds like some work party type event.

Dirtysanchez
15-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Sounds like a typical house boat scenario, these people are often not boaty types IMO, and get on there with miinimal training, hit the turps and it's every man for himself.

It's a very sad story this time of the year, especially as she fell overboard and no one knew for some time. :'(

Blackened
15-12-2006, 06:06 PM
G'day
I heard this news thismorning and thought it is absolutly terrible news.
Apparently she made contact with the propellor and was picked up 15mins later.

I hope the skipper gets belted for this

Dave

Kerry
15-12-2006, 06:45 PM
Even worse the skipper was picked up the same/next day for driving an unregistered vehicle, no license and over the limit as well, again ::).

boatboy50
16-12-2006, 08:17 AM
Sorry Kerry,

Yet again you are wrong!!! ;D

The skipper was not picked up for drink driving again the next day, one of the crew was straight after the incident.

The skipper spent yesterday at the hospital in an induced drugged state, according to the paper.

Very sad incident. Condolances to the victims young family, who will suffer, not even having enough money for her funeral, again according to the paper.

Regards

Darren

Kerry
16-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Well thankyou Darren for correcting what was reported. It's always good to know the facts. Lets hope the paper has it right.

Regards, Kerry.

stevedemon
16-12-2006, 08:45 AM
Hi all

My condolances to the Family :'( :'( :'(

This is what happens when we mix alchol and water this is a senseless waste of life >:( :( >:( but it also happens on the road and when are people going to learn that this cocktail just does not mix :-? :-? :-?

To Kerry and Boatboy50 guy's regardless of whom is right or wrong the point of the matter is someone of the vessel was caught drink driving after the tragic loss of life :-? :-? :-?

ausfishers lets think of the families and our own safety not only for your families but the safety of all families this Xmas from these terrible incident as it will not be a happy time for this family and the more people that mix water and alchol he more incidents we will have with not only the loss of life but also the injuries that can go with it :-? :-? ::) :-? :-?

Lets think before we act and hope that all goes well for all at Xmas :) :) :) :)

with this said i hope they throw the book at the Skipper for this Tragic accident that could have been avoided and they throw the book at the stupidity of the turkey that was caught D.U.I >:( >:( :( :(

Please all becareful for each and every person, families and for your Childrens sake they to would like to spend and know the parents, Grand-Parent, uncles and aunts in there lives let us use this as a reminder that stupidity on the roads and water cost lives :'( :'( :'( :'( :-? :-? :-? ::) ::) ::) :( :( :( :( :'( :'( :'(

my thoughts only as in about 2 weeks my Wife and I are going to be Grand-parents for the First time and this has got me thinking for the future of all :P :P :P :P :P :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

HAVE A SAFE AND MERRY XMAS AND A VERY SAFE AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL PLEASE KEEP THIS IN MIND :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

and LET US ALL TAKE A MINUTE IN SILENTS TO REMEMBER THIS AND TO THOSE THAT WILL NOT SPEND TIME WITH LOVED ONES

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

Kerry
16-12-2006, 09:14 AM
And from all indications the boys will be out in force before x'mas more so than in previous years? Yes Steve time of year to sit back and think and not do anything stupid.

Roughasguts
16-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Not knowing the details but makes you wonder if the skipper was sober, the tragedy still may of happened.

So if the skipper was sober, would he still have been charged, or just questioned along with the others.

And if not where would the responsibility of the tragedy lay then.

Seems you take on a whole lot more responsability, and are way more liable for the safety of others when your over the limit.

Don't get me wrong I am not trying to justify the skipper here.

stevedemon
16-12-2006, 09:50 AM
Hi roughasguts

(Officers have charged the boat's driver with drink driving after a breath test allegedly revealed his blood alcohol level to be .174 per cent - more than three times the legal driving limit. )

Mate if you look at the rules and regulations of the road (water) you will see that on all vessel reguardless of size that the ;D ;DSKIPPERS :-? :-? are responsible for all SAFETY of personel on board and the other around them as you are to maintain a visual of other vessel and person/s in or on the water along with in the boat and that they are to remain sober at all times while vessel is in motion or on the water this to me there needs to be a change in the law that if caught D.U.I whether on the water or on the roads then it should be instance loss of all lic's no excuses for this situation at all :( >:( :( >:( :(

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

griz066
16-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Sounds like a typical house boat scenario, these people are often not boaty types IMO, and get on there with miinimal training, hit the turps and it's every man for himself.

It's a very sad story this time of the year, especially as she fell overboard and no one knew for some time. # :'(

Wasn't a house boat mate :-?

Roughasguts
16-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Don't get me wrong Stevedemon, I agree with you entirely about the drink driving charge and being responsible for the safety of the vessel.

But this is a big ask for a sober skipper, driving say a house boat that has only forward vision and then being responsible for all his guests that may have impared judgement.

I think alone the skipper can't navigate his vessel and maintain any vigilance over the safety and antics of his guests.

Maybe there should be a second watchman sober, that can advise the skipper when clear to start the motors, and no one hanging over the side Etc. As we all know there are some drinkers that can't be settled down let alone made to see any sence in there actions.

Only saying that, as these tragedys not only happen with drunk skippers.

Kerry
16-12-2006, 11:04 AM
Wasn't a houseboat (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, again!) but a twin engine (shaft or sterndrive?) 30 odd foot mono, typical wine and cheese type.

boatboy50
16-12-2006, 11:23 AM
Yay,

You are correct Kerry. ;)

Mustang 38. Twin Sterndrives.

The driver was over the limit. He was the deceased boyfriend.

Regards

Darren

Poodroo
16-12-2006, 12:57 PM
It's shocking when a lack of common sense results in the loss of ones own life but when it is at the cost of someone elses I think it is as good as murder. When will they ever learn that drinking and driving or boating is just sheer stupidity? Beyond all comprehension. That is a sad loss of life.

Poodroo

stevedemon
16-12-2006, 02:58 PM
Hi all

But this is a big ask for a sober skipper, driving say a house boat that has only forward vision and then being responsible for all his guests that may have impared judgement.

I think alone the skipper can't navigate his vessel and maintain any vigilance over the safety and antics of his guests.

Maybe there should be a second watchman sober, that can advise the skipper when clear to start the motors, and no one hanging over the side Etc. As we all know there are some drinkers that can't be settled down let alone made to see any sence in there actions.

Only saying that, as these tragedys not only happen with drunk skippers.

Roughasguts mate ;D ;D ;D as a skipper i am responsible for all on my vessel i have a rule 2 beers person per day i do not drink while boat is moving or going to be moved i will have one drink when i have stopped to anchored for the night so do night get me wrong that i am not against drinking

;D ;D ;D ;Dif you don't like my rules on my vessel then don't bother getting on :o :o :o :o :o :o simple ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :-X :-X :-X :-X

but as a skipper you are to maintain a visual on all personal as well as other vessels as stated this is not a big ask mate this is the responibilities we take when we take on passenagers or friends it is the same as driving a car you need to look at what the kids are going to do and keeping your eyes on the road and thinking ahead of what the other drivers are doing :-? ::) :-? ::) :-?

if this is your thoughts of a skipper a big ask mate and please do not get me wrong then how many other skippers think the same way

and is this why we have so many water incidents and the TRAGIC LOST OF LIFE then we need to take a good look at what we are doing as SKIPPERS but as stated above my rule my boat i will not be responsible for the death of a mate a friend a family member no matter what i will always take control of the safety factors and i will enforce them on my vessel the same as anyone on the water you are in control of your vessel so there for you take control and responsibilities for crew Passenagers, Friends and Family members :-? ::) :o ;D

i can tell you right now if i was responsible for the death of a Friend, Family Member, or someone else on the water i would want some to take me out, Lock me up and throw away the bloody key for this type of stupidty if it was a accident on the other hand and not through stupidty :-[ :'( :'( :-[ :-[ :-? :-? i would still have to stand back an re-think the way i was doing things

maybe i am to honest for my own good but life is life no-matter which way you look and we as SKIPPERS need to take control of any or all situations and particuarlly where alchol is concern

now i will take the flogging coming guy's all to offen even on this board we have seen, heard, read, or witnessed some of the poeple being pissed on the water or a few to many ale's this to me is sheer stupidty.

and asking for trouble and they need to stand back and take a look at the end result may not happen today, may not happen tomorrow, will it happen in the future for those poeple's sake i hope not as all to offen it is not you that goes it is someones loved one and you have to live with the consequences

please remember this for EVERY ACTION THERE IS A RE-ACTION and the CHOICES OF TODAY ARE THE CONSEQUENCES OF TOMORROW

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)
:) ;D :) ;D :) ;D :) ;D

bootyinblue
16-12-2006, 06:23 PM
MMMM.... its always amusing how a tragedy gets misreported not only on here but in other forums. Ohh and just cause the paper said it doesnt necessarily mean its fact either.

Skipper was charged with being in charge of a vessel UIL, which is the charge for 3 or more times over the 0.05 limit. Did you all know that unless you are tied up in a marina or on the trailer, a suitably qualified person (ie licence holder) MUST be under 0.05 at all times as they are deemed to be 'in charge' of the vessel. Does not matter how far away you bury the keys in the sand, its the law.

Also, someone commented about instant disqualifications of licenses. Well, only from this week if you are charged with 'Fail to supply', 'UIL', 'drink drive as well as drive without due care' or have another drink drive before the courts, you will be disqualified immediately untill you attend court.

Just a head up...

disorderly
16-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Hands up those of us who have never done anything stupid in their lives.
not to many hands,I wouldnt think.
Humans unfortunately are not perfect.We all make mistakes of judgement.
from our mistakes,hopefully,we learn lessons.These give us the wisdom to make smarter decisions in the future.
Now this tragic event rates pretty high on the stupidity scale,but he is not the first bloke to drink and drive and he certainly wont be the last.
#Its just a terrible shame that 1 life was lost and others undoubtedly ruined.There really is no way of knowing whether or not a death would have occurred had the skipper #been sober but It really doesnt matter anyway as he has placed himself in the predicament and now must face the consequence's of his actions.

# cheers Scott

#ps In no way am I condoning DUI.I just feel sorry for all concerned,even the skipper.
#pps Everyone please drive safely during the festive season

Kerry
16-12-2006, 09:27 PM
If the skipper had not blown over the limit then all this would have been called a terrible and tragic accident and there's nothing to say this would not have occured regardless of the skippers alcohol limit?

By all accounts the vessel was doing 4 knots and unfortuneately none of us were there to know what actually occured.

So this is the question and all things being equal was this incident totally preventable if the skipper had been sober?

Yes the skipper was over the limit, is this an absolute reason for any other charges?

Regards, Kerry.

Grand_Marlin
17-12-2006, 05:29 AM
Yes the skipper was over the limit, is this an absolute reason for any other charges?

Regards, Kerry.

It shouldnt be, and I suppose the coroner will investigate whether or not alcohol contributed to her death.

Legal point is: If the law was adhered to (not being in control of the boat DUI) then the accident shouldnt have occurred, as the boat shouldnt have been on the water in the first place.

Our legal system seems to work on being guilty until proven innocent ... and if you have one misdemeanor against you, then they will find everything they can to go with it ... ie throwing the book at you.

I feel sorry for all involved in this very sad situation.

Obviously no one wanted or expected this to happen.

Cheers

Pete

PinHead
17-12-2006, 06:02 AM
G'day
# #I heard this news thismorning and thought it is absolutly terrible news.
Apparently she made contact with the propellor and was picked up 15mins later.

I hope the skipper gets belted for this

Dave

awfully difficult to come in contact with the props...will be interesting to wait and see what the facts are actually are.

jim_farrell
17-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Not condoning drink driving by any means.

However, how quick some are to judge another, who has just lost his partner.

Good thing so many of you are perfect.

No offence intended.

Jim

seatime
17-12-2006, 03:33 PM
awfully difficult to come in contact with the props...will be interesting to wait and see what the facts are actually are.

I reckon!
photos in the GC Bulletin showed the duckboard and leg, how many millions to 1 chance is there of this happening?

condolences to the family and friends of the lady.

On the Broadwater yesterday, there were quite a few Xmas parties aboard the charter and party boats, and the parties were in full swing.
I've been skipper of a few Xmas, birthday and wedding parties, and booze cruises with live bands, a patron could have fallen or jumped overboard many times and there would have been very little I could have done to prevent it. But as master, I would have been responsible. The master/skipper/owner can't be everywhere and holding everyones hand, though is responsible for all onboard, and is the first person the authorities will turn to for answers. It's one of the reasons I no longer wish to skipper the party cruises on the Brisbane River at night.

Alex9797
22-12-2006, 11:49 AM
What really concerns me here is that some nob can be in charge of a 30 odd foot hull capable of traveling in xs of 70 kmph in restricted waterways at night and waaaaay over the limit. Nice to know if your kids just happen to be fishing out of a little tinnie in the river at the same time as this bannana was on the water.

as someone who intends to spend time out on the water this xmas I hope that other boaties respect the fact that there actions can impact greatly on the innocent.

cheers

Alex