PDA

View Full Version : Removing stubborn salt/grime off engine components

Smelly
22-12-2006, 02:30 AM
Best way to remove stubborn salt/grime off engine components - i,e, thermostat housings...

BaysideMarine
22-12-2006, 06:56 AM
scraper for flat surfaces and screwdriver etc for digging salt out of other areas

stevedemon
22-12-2006, 07:06 AM
Hi smelly
mate i use white Vinegar and a tooth brush this kills the corrision as well then spray with a marine lanoline

then every 2 - 3 trip i spray the mo 8-)tor with degreaser dry it off and keep up the marine lanoline spray keeps motor clean as a whistle

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

Noelm
22-12-2006, 07:17 AM
If you mean parts after you have pulled something to bits, then , there are lots of products to get rid of salt, but be carefull because some will get rid of Alloy as well, and rubber/plastic. a product I think called Chlorox will dissolve salt and that crappy stuff that seems to seize up parts in Outboards as well.

FNQCairns
22-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Smelly, mostly the deposits are mineral salts, calcuim, magnesium + others mixed in with the byproducts produced when the aluminium oxidises. These salts are only formed when the engine is running ie hot.

So any home remedy that deals with boiler scale, kettle scale, toilet cleaner even may work, I have a plan to buy a bottle of CLR Clear if it is still being sold to soak some corroded parts in and see what happens, if it works I will be pouring an entire bottle into a drum and will run the motor on and off for a day to clear the head of these accumulated minerals.

If you hit on a recipe please let me know as I have the lower portion of a waterpump housing that needs a cleanup soon as.

cheers fnq

Smelly
22-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Many thanks boys..

WIll Draino work?

Smelly
22-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Pssssssstt.....

I just cleaned my thermo housing in the kitchen sink while the wife was out..

I even used the dish scourer and put it back...

Mum's the word OK ;)

Roughasguts
22-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Mate your keen, I would of stuck the thing in the dishwasher, then straight to the pub.

Smelly
22-12-2006, 04:03 PM
yes!