PDA

View Full Version : Boat, jet ski, fuel efficiency and other stuff...

BaysideMarine
21-12-2006, 05:26 PM
Hi guys (n gals),

Just carrying this over from Smelly's topic as its not really part of his topic.

Roughasguts wrote:

Guess that's not too bad BM.

Sorry guy's off topic here but BM, just wondering you had that jetski quite a while I guess.

How much you reckon that thing cost to maintain for a year with how many hours run P.A.

Compared to an Outboard with the same Horse power running around the same hours.

Cheers Have Fun at Batemans bay, I likes that place.

Ummm..... good question RAG

I rebuilt it just prior to Christmas last year and while at Bateman's last year I put on about 10hrs in the 2 weeks I was there. I usually ride it for 1hr per day and thats a hard core hour on the ocean bar. Wavejumping on the way out and surfing the waves on the way in.

For one hours use it costs about $15 at something like $1.20 per litre.

Servicing costs me nothing obviously but my time and a pair of $2 sparkplugs. However, these things are classed as part of the motorbike trade and as such, parts are terribly expensive. Worse than outboards!!!!! Hows $160 trade for a 2.75mtr long steering cable which is only a Morse 33C type cable although it has different length support tubes on either end...???!!!

I haven't started advertising for jet ski servicing and as such haven't checked out what other servicing guys are charging. I guess the new computer controlled models will be more expensive to service. Although, really theres not much difference except for the cost to the dealer for the computer to diagnose the engine. But take the computer away and you can still diagnose the mechanicals of the engine (the real engine) accurately with a comp gauge and a mechanics ear...

In my opinion many jetskis see very little use. It's a bit like the first time boaty who buys a 30K Bayliner with a 135hp 4 cylinder MerCruiser uses it bugger all and 12 months or more later its for sale with 25hrs on it.... Lots of jetskis like that..

I reckon doing 100hrs per year on a ski would be hard because you don't typically travel across an entire bay etc on a ski (I guess you could as long as you had someone to go with) and its kind of hard to spend an entire day on a ski (we used to do it when we were 18 and rented one for $200 per day) and on an ocean bar environment like Bateman's 8hrs on the ski in the breakers would see you crippled!

I guess hp for hp the ski has to be cheaper to run due to its power to weight ratio. It also depends on the efficiency and power mods fitted also. My ski has just about every conceivable mod on it (not by me) and is quicker than an 04 Yammy 1200 ski (mine is 700cc). Although mine is a WaveBlaster which is built on the short hull of a stand up ski and as such is a lot lighter and very unstable at rest. The 1200cc Waverunner I mentioned was a much bigger ski. The WaveBlasters are built for surf riding and are a good deal harder to ride than WaveRunners or other brand skis. The costs for the performance mods is staggering on these things. Like $1400 or thereabouts for a Riva brand tuned pipe!!........ and then theres the stainless impeller (minimum $1000 from memory), Worx scoop grate, Worx extended ride plate, Worx handlebar set.....

Glad I didn't pay for it.....

Cheers,

Nicholas

wessel
21-12-2006, 06:09 PM
These "things" require a bit more TLC than your average outboard in my opinion. The engine sees a lot more water inside of the cowling compaired to an outboard motor.

I used to have a Seadoo XP, and did about 20 hours per month on the thing. The engine that Seadoo threw into this model was basically a Rotax two stroke that BMW also used on one of their motorbikes. With a few minor marine changes offcourse, but essentially the same engine.
A good point to keep in mind when you are looking for spares for some models I am told.

Wessel

BaysideMarine
21-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Being in the trade I must be cautious here but have we all noticed how many Seadoos are offered for sale with rebuilt engines after only a few years????????

I'd love to take that further but it would not be wise for me....

gilbo
22-12-2006, 07:48 AM
Hey BM - what do you think of the new Yamaha FX High ourtput Cruisers. Have a mate with a couple of Kawasaki STX12s which we take out wave jumping quite often and are great fun. He is looking at getting something to take longer distances etc and looking at the yamahas, just a bet worried that at only 1100cc and the size of them might make them a little more sluggish in the surf.

Cheers and Merry Christmas

Shae

BaysideMarine
22-12-2006, 08:42 AM
I dont know Shane. I don't follow the skis that much in reality.

Anything is sluggish by comparison to the Waveblasters in my opinion as these were built small for the purpose of surfing/wavejumping.

Maybe theres a jet ski guru floating about here on Ausfish??

Cheers

Roughasguts
22-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks BM, always like to know about the toys out there, never been on a jetski.
See a lot running rough, tied up to a tree then loaded up, played with a bit go for a run. Pack it up then take it home.

Seems a lot of work for 5 mins run, probably stale fuel is half there problem as they only work flat out.

Interesting to know about the sizes and what there best at playing in the surf cruising, not stable so on.

So the Sea do she's a sea Don't, Hmmm Rotax engine use them in ultra lights, I will never get it one, if one of them there engines is powering a aircraft.

Rather climb in something with a briggs and strattton, nah I would have the Rotax any day.

So hows the hull on these things stand up to the abuse of wave smacking.

Cheers.

BaysideMarine
22-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Ummm..... with my weight at present about 105kg there are some stress cracks showing in the gelcoat where your feet go.....

They are built fairly tough generally, and the highest I would have launched last year was probably 10ft off a wave and nothing broke although coming down from a big jump tends to be a bit painful sometimes... If you dont go over the bars and into the drink you come off the back or sideways or if you manage to stay on you turn it into a submarine!! and disappear underwater for a second or so and then pop back up.

Great fun and yep stale fuel is a killer, just like with boats and perhaps there are many out there not running well coz they aren't maintained?? I dunno.

I watched a bloke preparing to launch a ski recently and at the ramp he started the engine and run it on its trailer for around 2-3 minutes unfazed!! I said to his mate, ummm, he's going to cook the engine and he spoke to his mate you said "nah she'll be right" but he did shut it down also....

Cheers