DALEPRICE
13-12-2006, 06:19 PM
was just wondering if anybody had and idea of
how this hull preforms??? hull is a 650 with a
200hp hpdi yamaha on it.......
cheers dale

walruss
13-12-2006, 07:02 PM
I have a 650 patriot with a standard 200 yam 2 stroke and do not have a probe, with the combination.

Has plenty of power for bar crossings etc.

Russ

searaider
13-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Geday Dale ,
Sounds like someone may be buying them self a Xmas present ;) ;D
You might have to look a complete new boat / Tow vehicle package , there would be some weight in one of those babies .

Peter
Searaider 2

Stubbie_Holder
13-12-2006, 08:22 PM
I have a 680 with Yam 225 4stroke, it comes out of the hole good and has a 40 knot top speed. I would expect your combo to be a little quicker on both.

Smithy
14-12-2006, 10:23 AM
I have a 680 with Yam 225 4stroke, it comes out of the hole good and has a 40 knot top speed. I would expect your combo to be a little quicker on both.

What sort of prop are you running? A 4 blader? I fish on an older 680 Patriot a bit repowered with the same motor and it nowhere near pops out of the hole good enough and is far from being a 40 knot boat. It is getting its proper revs at WOT but is running a smaller prop than the 3 blader wide hub factory Yammie SS we run on the 702 Signature I am part shares in which is a 38 knot boat with the same 225 4 stroke Yamaha.

Dale,

a 650 with a 200 should get up and boggy. Haven't been on one or a 680 Encore yet so can't give you any first hand experience. Shouldn't have the bow through waves feeling you get with the Allison.

Luke_Groen
14-12-2006, 10:46 AM
That combo should fly!

We just sold our 680 Encore/DF250 combo and could only muster 39-40 knots wot.

DALEPRICE
14-12-2006, 04:14 PM
thanks guys,

pete, still just playing around ;D allison is safe for a while :o

smithy, thanks but im guessing they should go well in the
water ??? ahhhhhh........the wet nose on a winters morning :o
ill miss it.
cheers dale

Stubbie_Holder
14-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Hey smithy,
I am running a 4 blade solas, it really does make a difference to the all around performance. I am only really getting 38knots (with 3/4 full tank and all gear) at 5700rpm top speed so far, but then I only have 30 hrs up and get a little extra every time I run it to full throttle, from what I have been told it often takes up to 50 hrs to get the best performance from these motors. A couple of dealer employees I met at the boat show said that they have seen 54 mph from the same rig.
My advice, not worth a whole lot, but it's definitely worth trying a 4 blader if only for the hole shot.

All the best
Stubby!

Smithy
15-12-2006, 07:00 AM
Yep a 4 blader certainly seems to be the go to get the best out of this motor. Thanks for getting back with some real figures. Yours is an Encore as well so it might make a difference. Lance from the Turkey Beach store gets some amazing fuel figures with his Encore and a dircet injection motor.

dazza
15-12-2006, 08:34 AM
hi stubby,
our 1992 680 sf with yammie 225 4st has 370hrs on it and i recon it has only been the last 70 or so hours that the motor has really freed up. might just be my imagination too ::) ::)
like you, the sloas 4 blade gives plenty of lift, the trim tabs are also worth their weight in gold. cruises at around 25- 30mph doing 4200 - 4500 rpm using around 30 litres/hr depending on conditions

dale,
the patriot should go like a scalded cat

cheers
dazza

Kerry
15-12-2006, 08:44 AM
There appears to be a lot of importance (way too much really) put on speed? What's the problem with a vessel this size that can ONLY do 38 knots, like what is it that people expect?

GBC
15-12-2006, 09:07 AM
Kerry,

I think you'll find any given Australian bloke with any given boat/motor combination will want to get the best/correct performance out of that rig. At least any blokes I know do.

In Australian waters on any given afternoon it is commonly accepted that two vessels travelling on a similar heading constitutes a race, and to know my boat could 'have done him' with a prop change that I knew about would be a gutting experience.

My feelings anyway.

By the way, on the subject of 680's if anyone wants a 680 applause with a 200 HPDI (180 hrs) for around $50k just ask.

C.J.

Smithy
15-12-2006, 02:21 PM
There appears to be a lot of importance (way too much really) put on speed? What's the problem with a vessel this size that can ONLY do 38 knots, like what is it that people expect?

T (time) = D (distance) / V (velocity. #The quicker you go the quicker you get there! #The 38 knot boat has a most economical cruise speed of 26-27 knots as worked out by a Navman fuel flow GPS. #We are regularly doing 50-60 Nm trips one way and had outgrown my 18 knot boat which was comfortable enough, you just took a lot longer to get there. #A higher top end speed will in most cases lead to a higher cruise speed. #Hulls then come into it then as to whether you can sustain your ideal cruise speed once conditions deteriorate to a certain point. #Higher speed is also appreciated in things like game comps as well. #There you have set fishing times so everyone is pulling the pin at the same time so speed will see you back to the fuel dock or raft up in better time than everyone else. #That in turn gives you more time with the bikini models as they pull the beer out of the esky for you! ;D

Dale,

make sure you allow enough money to get yourself a set of trim tabs if they aren't on. There is one at JCM at the moment without. #The 680 and 702 certainly need them just to make them work, not as an accessory thing to get the last couple of % #out of the hull's performance.

DALEPRICE
15-12-2006, 03:42 PM
thanks smithy, all gold information thanks.
been looking at a few and im also in love with the
6.2 vegabond. just trying to get as much info before the
forkout ;D

thanks,
dale

Kerry
15-12-2006, 06:56 PM
Speed ;D yeah lots of excuses (err reasons ;D) and really isn't justified in a recreational fishing boat as what it normally means is many vessel are over powered but, be honest as this is what they are ::) The best/correct performance has absolutely nothing to do with speed, my feelings/thoughts anyway ;)

Holeshots, mega speed :o gunna have to start talking like the yanks :o

So who has done 50-60 nm in a 680 and still got all their teeth :) yeah then must have been an extremely calm day :-X

Regards, Kerry.

Luke_Groen
15-12-2006, 09:34 PM
Kerry,

Do you think a boat will perform better if it is underpowerd? I think not. What happends if you load your boat up for the weekend trip or somthing? I know id rather have a boat with more grunt then what it needs just for those reasons.

Cheers

SeaSaw
15-12-2006, 11:21 PM
Kerry, I've done 50-60nm in a 680 quiet a few times ...... teeth are all still in A1 condition ;D ..... back can get a bit sore though :-X ;D

Mark

saurian
16-12-2006, 12:44 AM
Kerry , Havn't done 1 mile in patriot of any sort.
But if i had to do 1 mile in patriot with you i know who would still be there at the 2 nd mile.
Let people discuss whatever , without some platinum ###### interrupting.
Do everyone a favour and piss off to another site.
Bit more peaceful without you.
You know it doesn't have to be like this .
Write a book or something .
Ta.

Kerry
16-12-2006, 08:24 AM
Kerry, I've done 50-60nm in a 680 quiet a few times ...... teeth are all still in A1 condition #;D #..... back can get a bit sore though #:-X ;D

Mark

At least you know what it's like, you've been there and done it to know ;D .

Regards, Kerry.

Kerry
16-12-2006, 08:30 AM
Kerry,

Do you think a boat will perform better if it is underpowerd? I think not. What happends if you load your boat up for the weekend trip or somthing? I know id rather have a boat with more grunt then what it needs just for those reasons.

Cheers

Luke, There is quite a difference between a properly powered and setup boat compared to something that used speed at every mention. When the first thing the sales gerk outlines is speed, the second thing speed and the third thing speed then it's time to find a new sales jerk but unfortunealtely many of them are all tarred with the same brush, obviously it must rub off onto buyers as well.

Underpowered is certainly a worse situation than more power than is required but when speed becomes the only attribute then one really has to ask why!

Regards, Kerry.

DALEPRICE
16-12-2006, 05:16 PM
thanks for all the info guys.......

kerry, i think smithy pretty well summed up
why speed is a good thing, and if you can get another
5 knotts of speed out of your rig why wouldnt ya ;D

cheers dale

Kerry
16-12-2006, 08:43 PM
But then 5 1/2 knots wins the race, right ;D yeah right :(

Jack_Montana
16-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Smithy,you should look into running a 4 Blade Mercury Revolution 4.They sell for a fair coin at $900 but well worth it with much better holeshot,planing at slower speeds and better grip in the tough stuff.You may lose a bit of top end speed,you may not but for the other benefits it's worth it.Solas 4 blade is $850,but Mercury make the best props and spend the most $$$ in R & D.They do the most testing with their Mercury racing teams and no i don't work for Merc,i'm putting a Rev. 4 on my 200 VMAX.I'd much rather cross a bar with a 4 blade than a 3 blade.

http://appcenter.mercurymarine.com/propSelector/propSel.do

Click on Rev 4.

Jack

Jack_Montana
16-12-2006, 09:22 PM
That link didn't work,this might.

Smithy
17-12-2006, 11:31 PM
Here we are 2 miles north of Sandy Cape at the top of Fraser on the outside of the bar. The bar is 100-110 km from Urangan so yes I have done the miles in a 680 and still have my teeth as well.

Jack thanks for the prop tip. Will mention it to Troy who has the 680. He has just bought a new Nissan to tow it and converting it to LPG so he might not be real flush with cash at the moment for a $900 prop.

Luke_Groen
18-12-2006, 12:38 PM
So who has done 50-60 nm in a 680 and still got all their teeth yeah then must have been an extremely calm day

Regards, Kerry.

Have you? obviously not. The 680 has one of the best reputations for a soft riding dry hull. It has no dramas at all with heading out in 25+ knot winds that you somtimes have to go through for comp fishing. We've been stuck in 40knot sqaulls 35 miles off shore and not one time did the entire crew feel unsafe. We've been to the Monte bello islands in it which (of course you'll know anyway) is a 75nm run each way no dramas. I am still yet to find a hull the same size (even 7.2m plateys) that can ride as smooth as our haines did.

Cheers

Kerry
18-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Have you? obviously not. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :-X

Luke_Groen
18-12-2006, 01:57 PM
Kerry,

Why make ridiculous comments when in fact you are only commenting on superficial substance? The skipper has ALL the influence on a hull and how it travels. But of course you'd know that.

Kerry
18-12-2006, 06:13 PM
....It has no dramas at all with heading out in 25+ knot winds....

Well if nothing else comments like this always good for a laugh :-X

Luke_Groen
18-12-2006, 07:40 PM
AS per usual a senseless reply.

Deiter
19-12-2006, 01:12 AM
Luke G, I feel compelled to warn you, don't bother. We all know tossers in life and this site has their share.
There are some reel men who make big comments from the safety of a keyboard. Most of us on Ausfish like to have a fish, talk tactics, and even meet up for a chat or a trip every now and then.

Kerry does not fit any of those categories. Want to know why? Wait for his response and you will know. ;)

Cheers,
Damo

p.s. what do say kerry, lets meet up.

bootyinblue
20-12-2006, 01:26 PM
Kerry,

I think the only person you are amusing is yourself, and how you are doing that could be questionable.

If you have nothing of subsatnce to provide to the forum then move on please, and do us all a favour.

And yes, more speed = more fishing time. That is why I have the biggest motor possible fitted to the back of my boat and even then I bought an imported motor so its a little quicker still....

Kerry
20-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Bluey, So imported motors are quicker :-? now I thought all outboards in oz were imported ;D

As for this "excuse" as to why ;D boats should have the biggest power then you know what they say about people who have to have the biggest.

However you can make any excuse you like, the fact is that most people have an over rated power and speed expectation.

Maybe they should bring in "P" plates for boats :D Probably a lot of comparison here between some of you lot and 17 year old with a V8 ;D

Deiter
20-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Yes Kerry, and the moon landing was a conspiracy wasn't it. :-X

You must be the only mature and sensible one here. Arn't we lucky to have someone like you to talk some sense into us. :)

Do you ever feel like the odd one out?? you think that is a coincidence??

Damo

Kerry
20-12-2006, 06:23 PM
No Damo not while you and your mates are acting the fools !

Hey but if ever you want to talk sense then please feel free, never know you might surprise yourselves, with an attitude makeover ::)

The likes of you Damo are the type that cultivates bad blood, always whinging just for the sake of whinging about absolutely nothing specific, your really nothing more than a back stabber for no other reason than having an attitude problem.

Get your head out in the sunshine, you'll see the world in a whole new different light :o

Kerry
20-12-2006, 06:27 PM
In other words ######## if you don't have anything bright to say leave your head where it is. Morans like you need a little toning down :-[

Getout
20-12-2006, 06:46 PM
kerry, i think smithy pretty well summed up
why speed is a good thing, and if you can get another
5 knotts of speed out of your rig why wouldnt ya

Answer: Because trailer boats just cant do 38 knots in the ocean without breaking something or someone! Fuel usage goes thru the roof also!

just_cruisin
20-12-2006, 07:13 PM
Getout,
Our current cruise is around 35-40 knots in a moderate chop. 7.4m mono with a 250 merc. Fully trailable. Boat tops out @ 50 knots and yer, I still wouldn't mind another 5 knots !
Should have went with the 275hp ;D
Cuts a reef trip down from 30 mins to bout 15 and adds a bit of excitement when the waters smooth.

Kerry
20-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Overall there's appears to be real lost cause with some people and some of the comments in my opinion would take a lot of justification but then justification isn't what jackals are very good out, attack first stuff the justification.

No quite frankly anybody who thinks they are capable of high types of speed in any conditions, well they're a dime a dozen as it is very rare that any vessel can adequately maintain such speed and in any case it's more cowboy talk than any actual real capability.

Sure I can hit 40 odd knots plus too but in the real world on any given normal day this is an absolutely out of the question speed. One would be hopefull that some people don't actually believe some of the absolute crap some post.

Quite frankly some people have lost the plot and if the jackals don't like that statement then that is my opinion and if you have an opinion then feel free to make it but don't attempt to justify your crap by doing nothing else than attacking others as that simply shows you have no credibility what so ever. The choice is yours. #

Regards, Kerry.

jimbo59
20-12-2006, 08:04 PM
AHHHHH kerry back to your best ;D

Now back to the tread; i brougth a used f225 yamaha it had done 209 hours, it was on a 680 sf and it topped out at 75 km/h by the gps.

The motor was running a solas 4 blader and when i put the engine on my formula it still did 72 km/h.
Not bad for a 26 foot boat(1 metre hull extension).

just_cruisin
20-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Kerry,
If you are referring to me as a 'jackal' ::). I am willing to justify my comments.
-23 deg deadrise
-7.4 metres LOA
-250 kilo/litre forward balast (fill/dump @ any time)
-custom trim tabs
-multi cairns to cooktown ski race winning hull, modified to centre console
-250 ponies
-10 to 15 knot sou-easter
-fully trailable
= boat capable of 35-40 knot cruise
half the fun is getting there right :-*

Chine
20-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Overall there's appears to be real lost cause with some people and some of the comments in my opinion would take a lot of justification but then justification isn't what jackals are very good out, attack first stuff the justification.

No quite frankly anybody who thinks they are capable of high types of speed in any conditions, well they're a dime a dozen as it is very rare that any vessel can adequately maintain such speed and in any case it's more cowboy talk than any actual real capability.

Sure I can hit 40 odd knots plus too but in the real world on any given normal day this is an absolutely out of the question speed. One would be hopefull that some people don't actually believe some of the absolute crap some post.

Quite frankly some people have lost the plot and if the jackals don't like that statement then that is my opinion and if you have an opinion then feel free to make it but don't attempt to justify your crap by doing nothing else than attacking others as that simply shows you have no credibility what so ever. The choice is yours. #

Regards, Kerry.

Hmmmmmm...........

Kerry, one would logically conclude that if you are not happy with content.....you ignore content........unless of course....you desire to prolong content.....for whatever reason?

It is called "choice".

No one disputes your knowledge.......plenty dispute your delivery. :) Welcome back Maxw!

Kerry
20-12-2006, 09:10 PM
No Chine but I do believe it is way over due that the jackals and absolute crap was shutdown, opinions are one thing but some of these types need a complete overall, simply arrogrance at it's worst.

Choice is one thing absolute sh$t is another.

And if I knew what you were totally on about then I would no doubt comment but no point commenting on your speculation!

Kerry
20-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Hey just_cruising #;D don't panic, the jackals know only too well who they are so don't lower yourself too their standard.

;D don't worry and it might even surprise you that I do know what a 233 is #:o even in the days when the only thing that was capable of powering them was those sterndrive thingies # :-X

Chine
20-12-2006, 09:19 PM
No Chine but I do believe it is way over due that the jackals and absolute crap was shutdown, opinions are one thing but some of these types need a complete overall, simply arrogrance at it's worst.

And if I knew what you were totally on about then I would no doubt comment but no point commenting on something I have no substance!

You know what I am totally on about and I still totally respect your opinion.........CHOICE.

Kerry
20-12-2006, 09:32 PM
:-?

Chine
20-12-2006, 09:38 PM

And if I knew what you were totally on about then I would no doubt comment but no point commenting on something I have no substance!

You know what I am totally on about and I still totally respect your opinion.........CHOICE.

Must not like the content!? Q+Kxa8.

CHOICE.

Deiter
20-12-2006, 09:40 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Kerry, you really are priceless.

If Ausfish was Summer Bay, you would be Alf Stewart with a period.

Merry Xmas to all,
Damo :)

Kerry
20-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Damo :-* yes consider yourself ONE of the jackals

Deiter
20-12-2006, 09:42 PM
I appreciate your opinion

Chine
20-12-2006, 09:46 PM
I appreciate your opinion

I respect your opinion.

Mr__Bean
20-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Kerry,

Just one question if I may.

Have you ever actually started a topic, or do you always just climb in and stuff someone elses topic right up with your continual pursuit of irrelevant squabbles?

Dale,

Good luck with it.

- Darren

Deiter
20-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Careful Darren, or you will be escalated to "Jackal" status aswell ;)

Maybe we could add it to the avatar!!!

Ausfish New Member
Ausfish Bronze Member,
Aufish Jackal ;D

Chine
20-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Careful Darren, or you will be escalated to "Jackal" status aswell ;)

Maybe we could add it to the avatar!!!

Ausfish New Member
Ausfish Bronze Member,
Aufish Jackal ;D

CHOICE! And I respect it!!!!

Deiter
20-12-2006, 10:18 PM
LOL!! Good onya Chine! At least ya got a sense of humour.

Damo

Kerry
20-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Kerry,

Just one question if I may.

Have you ever actually started a topic, or do you always just climb in and stuff someone elses topic right up with your continual pursuit of irrelevant squabbles?

Dale,

Good luck with it.

- Darren

Darren, Then you have not been paying any attention, have you?

saurian
20-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Yes Kerry started one about goosnecks.
Ta

Chine
20-12-2006, 10:29 PM
LOL!! Good onya Chine! At least ya got a sense of humour.

Damo

Damo,

Where would we be without one?

Kerry has an awful lot to offer all of us ( and I am a professional mariner......he knows his stuff) although the delivery is horrendous and maybe this resulted in the last dissappearance?!

He and I have stoushed on Fishnet....although I will continue to read his contributions.....very worthwhile.

CHOICE!!

Deiter
20-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Exactly Chine. I stated in a poll someone started in a blatant Kerry-bashing attempt that i think he is full of usefull knowledge, but is just not a good communicator.
Unfortunate, i am sure you will agree. I actually stood up for him after he gave me an earfull out of left field, but then he went and shit on me again, so...

I would rather converse with a pleasant novice then a cranky know-it-all.

Damo

Chine
20-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Exactly Chine. I stated in a poll someone started in a blatant Kerry-bashing attempt that i think he is full of usefull knowledge, but is just not a good communicator.
Unfortunate, i am sure you will agree. I actually stood up for him after he gave me an earfull out of left field, but then he went and shit on me again, so...

I would rather converse with a pleasant novice then a cranky know-it-all.

Damo

Damo,

OK. Well this is a perfect opportunity to "clear the yard arm".

I assume that none of us seek aggro (despite the fact that it alleviates boredom)........yet we seek mental stimulation.

Here is the opportunity........CHOICE!.

Or am I being unrealistic????? ::)

bootyinblue
21-12-2006, 01:17 AM
Ahh Kerry,

Lets not get opinion in the way of fact will we? Mate, have a look at my post... its all fact. You dribble on about big motors = big/small ???????? whatevers, then talk about other people who post personal attacks.

You really need to change hands mate, get out in the real world, come and have a fish with us, we can compare sizes then. Do not let the anonimity of a keyboard stand between us as I am sure we will find something to talk about... but I am tipping it will not be about you!!

Get up or get out!!

walruss
21-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Don't mean to put a spanner in the works but wasn't this post about a Haines Hunter Patriot or didn't I read the title right?? :-?

Russ

DALEPRICE
21-12-2006, 07:58 PM
hahahahaha...................all i was asking was if
anybody had any comments on the patriot...................

you boys are on fire ;D

cheers dale

bootyinblue
21-12-2006, 11:07 PM
Whoops.... Yea sorry about that indiscretion!

Lets get back to boats, shall we?

theoldlegend
22-12-2006, 07:11 AM
Yeah Dale,

You're nuthin' but a stirrer!! ;)

TOL

Getout
24-12-2006, 01:21 PM
-23 deg deadrise
-7.4 metres LOA
-250 kilo/litre forward balast (fill/dump @ any time)
-custom trim tabs
-multi cairns to cooktown ski race winning hull, modified to centre console
-250 ponies
-10 to 15 knot sou-easter
-fully trailable
= boat capable of 35-40 knot cruise

JustCruisin', that ain't no ordinary trailerboat!
I qualify what I said, you can't do 40 knots in the open ocean in a normal trailerboat. In open ocean, the swell comes at you at nearly 20kts. You would need wings to run at 40kts in my neck of the woods!

Kerry
24-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Lots of boats are "capable" of 40 odd knots but next to none 6-7 vessels have a 40 knot cruise cabability under typical conditions on just about any day of the year.

Have seen one vessel that did have an honest 40 knot "cruise" capability in most conditions but it was an 85 feet "tinnie" with 2500hp a side.

And no not even a Formula can "cruise" at 40 knots!

Regards, Kerry.

just_cruisin
24-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Yer no worries Getout, not too sure the conditions u describe were before mentioned, but thats fine.

Kerry, no we don't have a haines formula (i think thats what your implying), its a custom build, based on an ex-offshore racing hull & 12 months of weeknights & weekends.