PDA

View Full Version : to goo or not

harlequin
26-12-2006, 09:49 PM
just removed head water cover off yammy 90 hp 2st cleaned all water galleries lapped head to block ,water cover to head, thermo to water cover , this was for a freind he go the parts from dealer who also gave him small tin of jhonson evinrude gasket cement to use . my dillema is should i use it as it is not specified in the manual and the faces are lapped very flat 02mm feller gauge under straight edge, the gaskets i took off had a lot of goo on them squeezed inside & out. advice would be appreciated thanks
andrew

wayneoro
27-12-2006, 06:44 AM
mate the idea of no goo is so you can take it off again without wrecking your gasket so that is what a good mech; would do but the rest of us use the goo to be sure to be sure :D

FNQCairns
27-12-2006, 08:48 AM
Certainly no goo on the head gasket -if you were asking that, also no goo anywhere else unless it is to form clean ungasketed joins like on the crankcase casing. Consider a light smear of grease before top and bottom elsewhere (except headgasket).

cheers fnq

wayneoro
27-12-2006, 05:20 PM
ok i just did my thermo; used old gasket with black goo looks good so far as for grease tests by a major motor firm have showen surprising good results as a seal but for marine ?

FNQCairns
27-12-2006, 05:32 PM
Sorry wayneoro, grease either side of a gasket that is.

I am sure you will have no problems with your seal in real life it's just not accepted practice for any of the manufacturers over 40 odd years (will void warrenty) and every true outboard GURU (not me I am a hack)worth his salt will steer well clear, if it must be used use it very sparingly with a gasket.

cheers fnq

Kerry
27-12-2006, 05:43 PM
True outboard GURU's use grease on everything, sparingly of course and some have been doing it for more than 40 years!

Regards, Kerry.

wayneoro
28-12-2006, 07:53 AM
thanks so with a new gasket grease both sides of gasket ? i put my thermostat back on with old gasket ?