PDA

View Full Version : bilge pumps?

JEWIENEWIE
28-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Going to fit a bilge pump finally to my 4.2 stacer runabout, just curious, when about to cross a bar, should i have it on before i go accross or wait till i need it?
Jewie

Roughasguts
28-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Never run a bilge pump dry, they will burn out in no time.

Also pays to throw a couple of buckets of water in to the bilge every so often to give the pump a run.

A pump that never gets a run, will not work when you wan't it to.

JEWIENEWIE
28-12-2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks mate, that was one of my thoughts.
Jewie

Wayne_Red
28-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Hi Jewie
Watch out for leaves getting blown into your boat if you park it near trees, they end up in the bilge and get stuck against the pump stoping it from pumping properly
Wayne

blaze
28-12-2006, 08:32 PM
and I dont think you will ever pump out enough water from a green one one a bar with a electric pump, best chance would be a scared man with a 2 gallon bucket. I reckon bilge pumps are only any good for a bit of slop, removing water from a diver getting in the boat, chucking a bucket of water to clean blood off etc.
I suppose what I am saying is just because you have a bilge pump dont take any risks you wont take without it.
cheers
blaze

JEWIENEWIE
29-12-2006, 08:07 AM
I had to use a yabby pump once! bloody slow but hey, as blase just said, put a scared man behind it and you would be suprised how much water you can move!
Jewie