PDA

View Full Version : which side??

JEWIENEWIE
28-12-2006, 03:16 PM
I know that this my seem a really stupid question but after spending a few days on the water lately i am bewilderd. If i am approaching another vessell head on which is also moving, whch side do i let her pass me on, the port (left) or starboard (the other side). I am asking this question as do i have it wrong or do people just dont give a toss.
frustrated
Jewie

impulse492f
28-12-2006, 03:32 PM
People don't give a toss, it reads in the manual to alter course to the starboard side (boat passes on your port).

If your passing someone which is heading in the same direction ie passing, you can pass on either side in a save manner.

From the manual

http://www.waterways.nsw.gov.au/images/handbook/waterTrafficRules_PowerApproach1.gifhttp://www.waterways.nsw.gov.au/images/handbook/waterTrafficRules_PowerApproach2.gif

http://www.waterways.nsw.gov.au/images/handbook/waterTrafficRules_PowerOvertake1.gifhttp://www.waterways.nsw.gov.au/images/handbook/waterTrafficRules_PowerOvertake2.gif

impulse492f
28-12-2006, 03:34 PM
:)

redspeckle
28-12-2006, 05:57 PM
To look at pictures where to pass click on below link http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/msq.nsf/index/col_regs

From MSQ Website with out pictures read below

Safety - Collision regulations

Everyone using the waterways should know the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea **.
Keeping a lookout
A good lookout, through sight and sound, must be kept at all times. The master is responsible for keeping a lookout for dangers. Be aware of the boating environment, especially in bad weather, restricted visibility and darkness.

Navigation rules
Navigation rules are often called "Rules of the Road at Sea" and apply to all boats. These rules give clear indication about passing, approaching, giving way and overtaking other boats.

You should always make your movements clear and deliberate so that other masters can see your intentions. Never assume the master of another boat will observe the rules; always be prepared to take action to avoid a collision.

Rivers and channels
A vessel must always be navigated on the starboard side (right) of a river or channel.

Approaching head on to another boat
Each boat alters course to starboard (right) and passes port to port (left). Always assume this situation exists.

Power-driven boats crossing
A boat approaching from your starboard (right) side has right of way. If you are approaching another boat from its starboard side, you have right of way. However, if the other boat does not give way, you must take action to avoid a collision.

Overtaking
If you are overtaking a boat, you can do so to either side of the boat you wish to pass. However, you must keep well clear of the boat you are overtaking. This applies to both sail and power boats.

Sailing boats and power-driven boats
Power usually gives way to sail. However, this does not always apply. Larger vessels, such as ferries or container ships, have difficulty manoeuvering due to their size. Masters of other boats, including sail boats, should always apply common sense and seamanship by giving larger vessels a wide berth.

Sailing boats

When two sailing boats have wind on different sides, the boat with the wind on the port side must give way.

When both boats have the wind on the same side, the boat to windward shall give way to the boat to leeward.

Sound signals
Most recreational boats do not use sound signals, however they are used by ships and larger vessels with restricted manoeuvrability. Boats over 12 metres should carry sound signals, either horn or bells. You should be aware of signals and what action you should take when you hear a signal. Sound signals may be accompanied by light signals.

All boats should use sound signals in restricted visibility to alert others of their position. Use common sense and slow your boat or stop, and be ready to take immediate action. Be extremely cautious when operating in restricted visibility.

One short blast means "I am altering course to starboard".

Two short blasts mean "I am altering course to port".

Three short blasts means "I am operating engines astern" (the boat may be reversing or stopping).

Five (or more) short blasts means "I am unsure of your intentions".
Mitch :)

shubeej
28-12-2006, 10:01 PM
i reckon that everytime i go out on the water i have to avoid at least 1 if not more possible collisions from people who just don't want to pass port to port & when you are in narrow channels it is quite freaky.with more & more people on the water its not going to be long til there will be some serious collisions.
shubeej

Willdoe
28-12-2006, 11:27 PM
If you get confused about Port and Starboard just use the fact that it the opposite side to what we use on the road. On the road you travel on the left side and the oncoming traffic passes on your right. On the water you travel to the right and the oncoming vessel passes on your left.

I agree with the principal of making your intentions known early by a pronounced move to the right and slowing down if in a restricted channel.

Willdoe
;) ;) :o ::)

Noelm
29-12-2006, 06:52 AM
also remember that to pass on the port side is only necessary if there is danger of collision, I have seen people go way off their course just to pass on the 'correct" side, if there is no danger and plenty of room you can pass on either side.

Grand_Marlin
29-12-2006, 07:16 AM
I was in the Pine river last week ... I was heading in, he was heading out.

He went on the wrong side of the green markers over the mud bank, just so as he could stay on the "left" of me, like he was driving a car.

I had given him all the room he needed to pass port to port as per the rules, but he had absolutely no intention of staying in the channel and following the rules :o

When this sort of thing happens (sadly, quite frequently), it is obvious you are dealing with a very inexperienced or unlicensed driver.

I just pull back to about 8 knots and get ready to take evasive action if needed.

If they have no idea of the rules then they can be very unpredictable in what their next move will be.

Cheers

Pete

Grand_Marlin
29-12-2006, 07:22 AM
also remember that to pass on the port side is only necessary if there is danger of collision, I have seen people go way off their course just to pass on the 'correct" side, if there is no danger and plenty of room you can pass on either side.

This is true in practice, but it doesnt state this in the rule book.

I think it always pays to try and stick to the rules wherever possible ... it saves a lot of confusion if you know what people are going to do.

In saying this, I know where you are coming from Noel, I too have seem people go 300m out of their way to pass port to port when there was no need.

What I would hate for people to think, is if the ar ein say the pine river and they assume they have plenty of room (which there sort of is) that they decide to pass on whatever side they feel like at the time ... very confusing and very dangerous ... especially if both boats are travelling at speed.

Cheers

Pete

Stumpthumpa
29-12-2006, 07:25 AM
Jewie,
Waterways had a sticker with the rules on it, I have one stuck in the boat as a reminder. The office in Ballina used to give them away. They are worth having especially at holiday times!

JEWIENEWIE
29-12-2006, 08:04 AM
The reason started this post was after a few days on the water i was beginning to think there had been a rule change over night! There were so many people with absolutely no idea on the rules and it was very obvious as everyone wanted to pass me on my starboard side, thinking the rules were the same as the road. I just needed to make sure i wasnt one of them!
Jewie

SunnyCoastMark
29-12-2006, 09:09 AM
Hey Guys,
In spite of the "rules" which I think are pretty lame - Really it's a no brainer that they should have made it the same as driving a car - ie YOu drive on the LHS - how easy is that? ::)

All they have done is to confuse the inexperienced. - The powers that be go on and on about safety - and they police rules that are different to what mom and dad boatie are used to - if that isn't stoopid - I don't know what is.

Anyway off my soapbox now :-X

My advice:-

1) Make your intentions clear - whether you are turning to port or starboard. exaggerate the maneuvoure a little bit to make it obvious which way you are going.

2) Be the first to alter course (to starboard if possible) - giving both vessels plenty of time.

3) Once you committ to a course - please don't change your mind - it onlyleads to dramas

4) Expect the unexpected - if you stick to the above - you should be pretty right - you have to assume the oncoming skipper hasn't a clue. Especially at holiday time!

Mark

TOPAZ
29-12-2006, 09:29 AM
SunnyCoastMark,

Remember that the Rules of the Road are INTERNATIONAL rules, and we are, as a nation, legally bound to comply with them.
Also, 95% of the world drives on the RIGHT side of the #the road - we are one of the odd ones out!

All of this goes to show how effective the Licensing system is (NOT) - this is one of the most important, and most basic of the Collision Regulations.

Happy New Year!

SunnyCoastMark
29-12-2006, 09:42 AM
TOPAZ,
Yeah I know - crazy isn't it - They apply international rules to the water - but not to the road. ::)

We can't even have the same licensing & registration standards Nation wide both marine and road. - Morons.

Mark

Dory4.1
29-12-2006, 05:38 PM
Annoying in narrow channels when you are forced to go to the wrong side of the channel as a result of someone who sticks to the wrong side, particularily when there are other boats approaching on the correct side of the channel!!!

Rgs
Michael

Black_Rat
29-12-2006, 05:59 PM

This is true in practice, but it doesnt state this in the rule book.

I think it always pays to try and stick to the rules wherever possible ... it saves a lot of confusion if you know what people are going to do.

In saying this, I know where you are coming from Noel, I too have seem people go 300m out of their way to pass port to port when there was no need.

What I would hate for people to think, is if the ar ein say the pine river and they assume they have plenty of room (which there sort of is) that they decide to pass on whatever side they feel like at the time ... very confusing and very dangerous ... especially if both boats are travelling at speed.

Cheers

Pete

Same, if there's room don't alter your course however in tight channels sticking to the Right should be practiced.

If you do need to alter your course however have a quick glance behind you as well before doing so ;)

saurian
29-12-2006, 06:06 PM
Port to Port , no Port Left in the bottle.
We should all have an empty bottle of port to throw at them.
No not really , gets scary but , try it at night time Jewie,
Just gets worse......

Jekyll
29-12-2006, 06:13 PM
As my Old Man used to say .......

"Red to Red when dead ahead".

Reef_fisher
29-12-2006, 08:18 PM
It helps if you are able to let them know the rules, having said that there are some that will tell you where to go and how to do it. ::) As far as I am concerned my safety and any crew are the most important. Avoid them any way you can if they don't seem to have an idea.

PinHead
30-12-2006, 04:31 PM
some also need to either have a rear vision mirror on board or at least take a glance behind regualrly..amazing what may be right behind or starting to overtake you..I have had a few close calls on that one.

impulse492f
30-12-2006, 07:02 PM
some also need to either have a rear vision mirror on board or at least take a glance behind regualrly..amazing what may be right behind or starting to overtake you..I have had a few close calls on that one.

Point taken but its up to the skipper behind to pass safely and if you can't you are suppose to sound your horn: -

1 blast ... going starboard (the right).
2 blasts ... going port (the left).
3 blasts ... stopping/slowing.
5 blasts ... Look out you dick head your an idiot and can't drive for shit.

PinHead
30-12-2006, 07:29 PM

Point taken but its up to the skipper behind to pass safely and if you can't you are suppose to sound your horn: -

1 blast #... going starboard (the right).

it also says that boats 12m and over should have a horn or bells etc how many boats od have a horn on them ?...there was a good instance today..a tinny about 12' was moving across the channel to get out of my way but by not looking behind he had crossed into the path of another tinny about 16' and a 20' glass boat...they were going everywhere.

impulse492f
31-12-2006, 07:52 AM

1 blast ... going starboard (the right).

it also says that boats 12m and over should have a horn or bells etc how many boats od have a horn on them ?...there was a good instance today..a tinny about 12' was moving across the channel to get out of my way but by not looking behind he had crossed into the path of another tinny about 16' and a 20' glass boat...they were going everywhere.

Well in NSW all boats under 5m upto 12m require the following "An efficient sound signal device" and over 12m you need a bell and whistle. So having said that any boat on NSW waters should have some sort of noise maker (and the wife doesn't count, sorry honey I still love you :) )

Grand_Marlin
31-12-2006, 02:52 PM
Good point Impulse, the sound signals are there for a reason.

But if they cant work out the simplest boating rule(what side of the road to drive), I doubt very much that they are they going to know what the horn blasts mean :o

Cheers

Pete

PinHead
31-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Good point Impulse, the sound signals are there for a reason.

But if they cant work out the simplest boating rule(what side of the road to drive), I doubt very much that they are they going to know what the horn blasts mean :o

Cheers

Pete

Pete...if I came up behind them and hit the horn on my boat...they would probably crap themselves...the damn thing is that loud..more like a foghorn.

Roughasguts
31-12-2006, 03:41 PM
Boat manufactures used to have the helm on the left hand side. Me old mans boat has it on the left, now this makes it easier for both drivers to path safely down the side of each other in close chanels.

Not only does having the helm on the left easier for driving down the river, but you will notice most ramps have there little walkway on your left.
So if your driving from the right hand side chances are your going to scratch your boat trying to tie of next to it.

So how come these manufactures can put the helm on the wrong side of the boat.

Grand_Marlin
31-12-2006, 05:49 PM
Pete...if I came up behind them and hit the horn on my boat...they would probably crap themselves...the damn thing is that loud..more like a foghorn.

Pinhead, it looks like you're the man for the job ;D

We will all chip in for costs and you can patrol the waterways scaring crap out of the idiots ;D ;D

Cheers

Pete

midcoast learner
08-04-2012, 01:29 PM
I have noticed it mainly happens in holiday periods.Where i am is a big tourist spot .A few times coming down our narrow channel on the way home i'm right over to the starboard side of the channel but some oncoming boats just keep heading towards me until i have no option to either swing over to the port side or have a collision.It seems they think they pass as on a road.I guess if people only go boating in holiday season they may forget some things.