PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions/advice: New boat issues

DazSamFishing
31-12-2006, 02:26 PM
G'Day all,

I haven't had much time to post or reply over the past few weeks after several dramas with my new rig...

Now I know that many people have bought new boats before and I suppose there are a few Ausfish members that can give me some useful advice or suggestions on the following:

I took possession of my new rig (won't name the manufacturer yet/and those who have an idea... please keep it quiet) and I encountered numerous issues over christmas...

Those being the following:

Fuel tank crack/fuel leaking
Fuel tank size was under order size
Cabin hatch leaks
Silicon around bungs stripping due to fuel leakage
No floor hatch as requested
GPS function packed one in
Motor problems due to air in fuel tank
etc. etc.

The boat was paid for and the dealers assured me that if I had any concerns... they would deal with it after the holiday break... Obviously after identifying the fuel problem I gave the dealer a call on boxing day to arrange for the boat to be dumped back in the dealer yard...

Over the past few days... you can imagine I have lost many nights sleep... and thought about every issue with the boat...

Now... I have asked numerous people about what I should do... the majority of people suggest that I get a full refund... because effectively the manufacturer has breached his contract... and built me a unseaworthy vessel...

So the question is... In your opinion... should I and am I entitled to a full refund/ or should I just let the dealer/builder repair the issues (which is what they would only want to do)!

I am bloody frustrated about it... and have lost out in so many areas including repaying a loan on something I probably won't have for another month... and paying for storage...

All suggestions and advice is much appreciated!!!

Regards,

Daz

PinHead
31-12-2006, 02:40 PM
I would be contacting Dept. of Fair Trading or a solicitor and finding out exactly what you can and cannot expect and/or demand.

When I bought my boat I had no problems...just before the 12 month warranty ended the water pump failed...the dealer had a repairer at the berth the next day with a new pump and fitted same...no questions asked. I could not be more than satisfied with that service. There appears to be a few of these types of problems with new boats on here...wonder how many there actually are in the entire community.

Did you get an on water run with the dealer at time of delivery ? That may have shown some problems. As for the hatches etc I would have thought you would have noticed those at time of delivery and not parted with the money untill the boat was delivered as per how you ordered it.

I am bemused as to the problem with the motor with air in the fuel tank...there will always be air in the fuel tank.

As for the loan repayments...in all fairness, that is not the dealer's problem. How one acquires the money to purchase is no concern of theirs.

Did you have a contract with all the items you have mentioned eg fuel tank size and hatches etc listed on it as extras?

DazSamFishing
31-12-2006, 03:10 PM
The dealership did take me for a water test... There were no issues what so ever apart from a blown fuse which was replaced...

I only noticed the cabin hatch leak when it rained... Water is actually dripping from the screws...

On the day of delivery I took it down to my local waterway to run the motor in... 100 meters later the motor packed one... Which turned out to be a air/fuel problem and the dealers took it back to their workshop and had it ready for me the next day...

I do have a copy of my order form... and the dealers are aware of what was missing... and assured me that they would sort it out after the holiday break... I am happy with the dealership service and type of boat I purchased because I have purchased numerous other boats through them in previous years. Yet, I am far from satisfied at the end result considering the amount of money involved!

Thanks for your input Pinhead...

Daz

Chimo
01-01-2007, 08:39 AM
Hi Daz

You seem to have summed it up in what you say

"I do have a copy of my order form... and the dealers are aware of what was missing... and assured me that they would sort it out after the holiday break... I am happy with the dealership service and type of boat I purchased because I have purchased numerous other boats through them in previous years. Yet, I am far from satisfied at the end result considering the amount of money involved!"

Perhaps you are getting a little ahead of yourself with this thread.

You appear to have had your eyes wide open as you entered this deal, you seem to have had good knowledge of what you were gettting and you state you have confidence in the dealer.

Perhaps it may be more appropriate to let the dealer make good the issues that you both seem to have agreed.

If the tank was not as ordered, if there was no floor hatch and you knew of these and other issues why did you take delivery and pay for the boat?

Pinhead is possibly a few arguements ahead when he suggests fair trading but I'm with him 100% on the solicitor. Its always better to be forarmed with the right info.

Its always easy to be wise after the event but

Good luck with it

Cheers

Chimo

Grand_Marlin
01-01-2007, 10:40 AM
Now... I have asked numerous people about what I should do... the majority of people suggest that I get a full refund... because effectively the manufacturer has breached his contract... and built me a unseaworthy vessel...

So the question is... In your opinion... should I and am I entitled to a full refund/ or should I just let the dealer/builder repair the issues (which is what they would only want to do)!
Daz

Yes Daz, very frustrating, but htey are doing the right thing and covering your issues under warranty.

If you have it in writing on the order, then obviously that is ultimately what you will get, and the dealer hasnt said that you arent going to get it.

People telling you to jump up and down and demand a full refund in my opinion is bad advice and basically absolute bull$hit... you are just going to make a prick out of yourself when there is no need for it.

I bet the dealer and manufacturer bent over backwards to have your boat delivered by christmas, so some credit is due here. I never heard any problems with you being stuffed around during the manufacturing process.

It is a shame that this has happened right on christmas when everyone is on holidays and it cant be fixed immediately.

Is the leak a crack or a loose hose clamp?
If it is a crack, can you temporarily patch it with Davcon ($10 from Repco)

Cheers

Pete

Angla
01-01-2007, 11:27 AM
Just thinking that it could help to prioritise the issues and treat each one as a separate issue. This way you can see that what is a small issue, is something you should give small weight to.

Larger concerns like leaking fuel should be given most weight as there could be danger due to fumes and contact with skin here.

Second to that would be further damage the fuel may cause to silicones etc.

Electronics failure could be a warranty issue with the manufacturer but there may be a workmanship issue here or a lack of electronic protection within the wiring system.

Write everything down on paper and also note down all correspondence with the supplier as well as verbal exchanges.

You probably will not need good luck to rectify these issues, just a little time and patience during this busy and festive time of the year.

P.S. you may find that the dealer has used other subbies to finish off the boat in the lead up to christmas.

Chris

P.P.S. I also took delivery around the christmas period three years ago. Ended up with the boat in Mid January and rectified the small problems myself as they were mainly poor workmanship issues in the fit off, not the boat itself. $55,000 I paid for that experience.

seabug
01-01-2007, 12:23 PM
You say you are happy with dealer from past transactions.
Give him a bit of time.
Regards
Seabug]

DazSamFishing
01-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Thanks fellas'

Samantha and I will give the dealers and manufacturer time to rectify the issues and see if we can get compensation in other areas... I am bloody happy with the boat... just not satisfied with the numerous issues... The hull itself is beaut... It is just a shame I have to wait another week to raise these concerns... I ordered this boat on the 31 august... and it seems as though production started in october... They seem to have time management issues... But what can you expect... considering the Christmas period!

Cheers,

Daz

timddo
02-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Hi daz, i pretty sure i know where you purchased your boat, I too had a few small problems. They put the wrong size rego stickers on my boat, gave me normal flares rather than offshore flares. And now the boat is 6 months old and has corrosion problems. This has happen where the stainless touches the aluminium. The place i brought my boat is ok has no hesitation in rectifying the problem ( so i will see this weekend).

JEWIENEWIE
02-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Dazman, i think the above few posts cover it. Keep you paperwork handy document all relevant consversations, and give the dealer a chance to come good, if not, then go to fair trading.
Jewie

JB
02-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Daz pm me with the type of boat etc.. interested to know.

Jas